Playing the Role of GM 2019

BillsFan1988

If i was Beane this would be my strategy for the off-season.

Free Agency 

O-Line

LT - Ty Neshke 3yrs 20mil 

RG- DJ Fluker 3yrs 20 mil

RT - D Williams 4yrs 45mil 

C - Mitch Morse yrs 44mil 

Total spending 35 million per yr 

This is where I would spend the majority of my budget for this off-season. 

2019 Starting 5

LT Neshke 

LG Dawkins 

C Morse 

RG  Fluker

RT Williams 

Back ups

OG/C Long

OG Teller

LT Dawkins

RT Fluker

Usually teams dress 7 lineman on Sunday's in the NFL so my bkup tackles will come from my OGs that have experience at tackle. When we go extra lineman on the field Teller will be the first guy off the bench.  I like Tellers run blocking prowess so he would be a good extra lineman when we go heavy. I believe this line has massive flexibility and that was a big key to making these moves. 

RB 

Cory Grant 2yrs 3mil 

CG adds a nice dimension to our bk field he's a Swiss army knife he can return punts, kicks, can catch & run plus he's still young. I also will look to the draft to add another bk. 

WR

Donte Moncreif 3ys 18mil 

Kevin White 1yr 1.2mil 

With free Agency not being top heavy at this position. I'm looking for players that can possibly be Hyde/Poyer types for us. I'm not looking to overspend on Tate or Ty Williams there just not worth it.  My plan is also to use a couple pks in the draft at this position.  My intention here is to get a day 1 starter on the outside like Moncreif . Moncreif is a young player entering his prime and he will buy us time to develop the our rookies while at the same time he can fit into our future plans. Now Kevin White he's just a guy I want to bring in to compete with Zay, Foster, Duke and Mckenzie for playing time. KW is basically a lottery ticket a low risk high reward player. 

TE 

Jessie James 4yrs 20mil 

JJ will give me a player that can fit as a 1 or 2 for us he's a balanced player and with my strategy to go high in the draft at this position he will be a very good complement to a young player needing time to develop.

DEFENSE

D-Line 

DT - Grady Jarrett 5yrs 60mil 

DE - Robert Quinn 2yrs 13mil 

DT- David Irving 1yr 1.2 mil 

Grady Jarrett will be my top option on defense.  GJ is an absolute beast at 25yrs old and in his prime he can do it all at the 3tech . Not only that but he's a great fit in the process culture wise he will bring leadership qualities with him.  Jarrett is also a Patriot killer as he seems to always play his best against them.  The additions of Quinn and Irving will give us great depth on the Dline as we know Mcd loves to rotate these guys. David Irving will come cheap but has alot of potential and would be great on passing downs rushing the passer next to Jarrett.  With Quinn, Murphy,  Shaq, Hughes, H Phillips and Star we will be able to have to rotate at will and attack teams in waves.

2019 DLINE 

DE Quinn

DT Star

DT3 Jarrett 

DE Hughes 

Bkups

Murphy 

Shaq

Phillips 

LB

Dion Jordan 2yrs 5mil . 

I would sign DJ and put him under Zo tutelage.  DJ will be a depth signing that will find his role in Mcd defense as our new Zo . I would also look to the draft in the mid to late rds to add more depth.  

Secondary 

SS/ LB - Landon Collins 4yrs 40mil 

CB - EJ Gaines 2yrs 7mil . 

Landon Collins can play Rover big safety position.  He can be our Shaq Thompson on this defense with 3 safeties on the field at all times.  This signing adds some much flexibility to this defense teams won't catch us off guard in the big nickel as we can defend the run and pass with Poyer, Hyde and Landon on the field. EJ Gaines also a great signing for us at a very good price.  He can't stay healthy but won't be asked to start in our defense but he gives us a player that can be a great asset if Wallace or Tre go down.  EJ is perfect for us because even if Taron Johnson goes down we can move Tre to the slot and not skip a beat because EJ will be on the outside. My plan falls in line with McBeane flexibility philosophy.  

I realize I spent around 80mil on these players but did so with the mindset that we have 130 mil in 2020 so minus 80 we still have 50 mil for 2020 plus whatever the cap goes up by . Plus I structured most of these deals on short term deals so we have cap flexibility moving forward in 2021 . Now this would be my plan not saying the Bills will do any of this or even half just my dream scenario for our offseason.  So hopefully u guys enjoy the rest of my plan and please take it easy on me afterwards. Lol. 

DRAFT PLAN 

Trade back collect more pks preferably move bk with a team like the Skins at #15. Add another 2nd and 4th Rd pk . Now it's time to load up on skill position players for the future 

1st #15 - WR -DK Metcalf or TJ Hock 

2nd #40 - TE Fant or Irv Smith if we take Hock in the first then target WR here maybe Hakeem , Harmon or Marquis Brown. 

2nd #47- OG/T Dalton Risner

3rd #75-  Wr Andy Isabella 

4th - RB Darrell Henderson 

After these pks we still have 7 more pks left to either trade up the board or stay put and take best players available at any and all positions. With the way we attacked free agency we truly put ourselves in position to stock up the depth of our roster. 

New depth charts after draft in no particular order. 

WR 

Moncrief 

Foster

Zay

Isabella 

Duke 

Draft pk ( Metcalf, Hakeem, Harmon or Marquis 

RBS                                    TE

McCoy.                                James

Ivory.                                Draft pk (TJ, Fant,Irv)

Henderson.                       Croom 

Grant.                                 L Thomas 

Defense 

LB.                                   Secondary 

Edmunds.                        CB Tre White

Milano.                             CB Wallace 

Zo.                                    SCB Taron J

D Jordan.                         CB EJ Gaines

Landon Collins *              FS Poyer

SS Hyde 

L Collins * Rover

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, wppete said:

That is some very heavy spending in FA not sure they are going to do that. Would like to see it happen though. 

Seriously?  How does this all work out under the cap?  Not sure we would be able to sign all those FAs.  I like the idea of some complete overhauls on our Offense, but not sure how realistic this might be.

Good thoughts put in though!

The fact that you would consider Jordan or White makes the whole plan suspect.  They are not worth even a min contract with no guaranteed $.  They would prevent a long shot from making the team and I would rather have the long shot on the 90. 

No need to make Dawkins a sub - keep him at T or if you get 2 good Tackles (doubtful) then move him to Guard.  Do not move him to the bench.

Jarrett will go for much more than you are calculating.

Risner, Smith and Fant will not last that deep in round 2.  Most likely all 1st round and early 2nd round.

If I add right this adds up to ~ $85 million per year without cap benefits of spreading the bonus.  Add another $6M for rookies and the cap is mostly consumed.  Not necessarily a bad thing but I am not sure the players added will deliver the result required for the cash spent.  Overall alot of thought but see none or very little of this coming to pass.

biggest issue with your role as GM is the fact you literally added about 7 of the top 30 FAs which just isn't realistic. IF the Bills could get even just Morse and Daryl Williams for o-line its a great offseason. Remember when Jordan Poyer was signed no one thought much of it and he turned into a starter ditto Zo Alexander. I am expecting Buffalo maybe gets 1 true name brand Top FA like Morse and from there we fill in as we go. Quinn, Jarrett, Collins will all demand massive contracts and it'd be amazing if we got one of them let alone all three.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

The fact that you would consider Jordan or White makes the whole plan suspect.  They are not worth even a min contract with no guaranteed $.  They would prevent a long shot from making the team and I would rather have the long shot on the 90. 

No need to make Dawkins a sub - keep him at T or if you get 2 good Tackles (doubtful) then move him to Guard.  Do not move him to the bench.

Jarrett will go for much more than you are calculating.

Risner, Smith and Fant will not last that deep in round 2.  Most likely all 1st round and early 2nd round.

If I add right this adds up to ~ $85 million per year without cap benefits of spreading the bonus.  Add another $6M for rookies and the cap is mostly consumed.  Not necessarily a bad thing but I am not sure the players added will deliver the result required for the cash spent.  Overall alot of thought but see none or very little of this coming to pass.

I have Dawkins as a starting LG and the bkup LT.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So you would take a 33 year old journeyman backup swing tackle give him 3 years and $20m and make him your starting left tackle?

I stopped reading there.

GunnerBill u should do some research before u talk . Neshke will be steal for whatever team gets him.  The Skins gave him a 2nd rd tender last yr for a reason and the guy has played very good football when given a chance. Yes 33yrs old but doesn't have the wear and tear of others that age. This guy will be a starter for some team next yr at LT and he can easily play another 3yrs up until he's 35.

12 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

GunnerBill u should do some research before u talk . Neshke will be steal for whatever team gets him.  The Skins gave him a 2nd rd tender last yr for a reason and the guy has played very good football when given a chance. Yes 33yrs old but doesn't have the wear and tear of others that age. This guy will be a starter for some team next yr at LT and he can easily play another 3yrs up until he's 35.

I've done plenty of research thanks. Neshke is 33 and has never been a regular starter anywhere - even at RT. The most games he has ever started anywhere in a single season is 5. He has been a decent enough swing backup in Washington, but he has been no better than that, and he does a decent job in 'big' formations when he essentially replaces the blocking tight end. If a team signs Neshke to be a starting left tackle in 2019 they are going to have a very unpleasant surprise.

The Bills gave Ryan Groy a tender a few years ago too. It just means a team has a reliable backup lineman at a decent price and they want to keep hold of him at that figure.

18 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

If i was Beane this would be my strategy for the off-season.

Free Agency 

O-Line

LT - Ty Neshke 3yrs 20mil 

RG- DJ Fluker 3yrs 20 mil

RT - D Williams 4yrs 45mil 

C - Mitch Morse yrs 44mil 

Thank you so much for this. I thought that I was the only one here who wants him at RG for the Buffalo Bills.

Again, I believe that he has been hampered by injuries but last season he looked very good imo. He is an extremely hard worker and is probably one of the strongest players in the league. DJ played RT in college and if healthy, he will be a road grader. He is also a leader.

A player like him can make a difference if he clicks and is certainly worth offering a contract to.