Bills should draft TJ Hockenson

DJB

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I gotta agree with Bangarang. There are too many stud defensive players in this draft that'll be valued higher than a tight end. That's not a knock on Hockenson, he's good, but teams are gonna value guys like Bosa, Williams, Allen, Burns, Polite, Oliver, Simmons, Gary, White, etc. over Hockenson. And then you'll have Haskins who will go early, maybe both the OTs (Williams, Taylor) go early. Again, Hockenson is a fine player, but the top 10 is jammed up with a lot of guys that'll be valued a bit higher than he will.

I don’t think all those dline man are top ten talents. I would expect some of those guys to drop on draft day.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I gotta agree with Bangarang. There are too many stud defensive players in this draft that'll be valued higher than a tight end. That's not a knock on Hockenson, he's good, but teams are gonna value guys like Bosa, Williams, Allen, Burns, Polite, Oliver, Simmons, Gary, White, etc. over Hockenson. And then you'll have Haskins who will go early, maybe both the OTs (Williams, Taylor) go early. Again, Hockenson is a fine player, but the top 10 is jammed up with a lot of guys that'll be valued a bit higher than he will.

Very unlikely that teams value torn ACL Jeffrey Simmons over him, Polite has character concerns according to Matt Miller....Bosa, Williams, and Allen will be gone before the Bills pick. Burns will be too one dimensional to take in the top 10. Daniel Jeremiah has reported teams are concerned about Oliver’s last 4 games, his junior tape in general, and his overall size which is why you have seen him go from guaranteed top 3 in mocks to anywhere from 7 to 25 now. 

Gary has a ton of potential but doesn’t live up to it with production. 

You can poke holes in every DL argument besides the top 3. The reason why Hockenson is gaining steam in circles is because A)He’s the best TE in the country B)He’s still very young and hasn’t tapped his potential C) He has no character concerns D)He is an all around prospect and TE with both his blocking and catching prowess. 

As as I stated in the other thread, his combine will be a huge factor in whether he goes top 10 or in the latter art of the 1st round

I just don't think they pick him at 9...

There will be better players to choose from at that spot..

As others have said, maybe I consider him in the mid teens if they trade down...

Possibly with a trade back into the first if he is still there in the late 20's..(it seems unlikely that will be the case at the moment...)

I think that TE is such a difficult position to assess how players will handle the move up from college to the pro's..

I think the Top 3 TE's by some margin last year were Kelce, Kittle and Ertz and none of them were first round picks..

There is a good chance in my opinion that three years down the track Hockenson wont be considered the best TE in this class.

Edited by Aussie Joe

6'5, 250 and can high point a ball in coverage with the best WR out there?  Reminds me of someone else that we have been facing 2 times a year (and getting killed by) for the past few years.  I'm all for it!

Draft TJ, trade for John Ross, and maybe pick up another speedster with some height in the draft.  Would be able to stretch the field with speed and then just toss it up to TJ.  Sounds like the perfect compliment to Josh Allen's talents.

I find it increasingly difficult to trade down in a draft short on QBs.  Is someone mortgaging picks for Murray or Haskin?  No.  This is Ej vs Geno.  Imo, 1 or both fall to the end of the first or second.  Hockinson is in the mix if they stay put as I expect them to.  Imo you are getting Oline, Wr,  Te.  The 4th or 5th Dlineman is not significantly better than the top Olineman or Wr.  With those positions needing the most improvement think it's a simple decision.

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Very unlikely that teams value torn ACL Jeffrey Simmons over him, Polite has character concerns according to Matt Miller....Bosa, Williams, and Allen will be gone before the Bills pick. Burns will be too one dimensional to take in the top 10. Daniel Jeremiah has reported teams are concerned about Oliver’s last 4 games, his junior tape in general, and his overall size which is why you have seen him go from guaranteed top 3 in mocks to anywhere from 7 to 25 now. 

Gary has a ton of potential but doesn’t live up to it with production. 

You can poke holes in every DL argument besides the top 3. The reason why Hockenson is gaining steam in circles is because A)He’s the best TE in the country B)He’s still very young and hasn’t tapped his potential C) He has no character concerns D)He is an all around prospect and TE with both his blocking and catching prowess. 

As as I stated in the other thread, his combine will be a huge factor in whether he goes top 10 or in the latter art of the 1st round

I think he will be the Bills pick unless we trade down then I think Risner will be the guy.

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I find it increasingly difficult to trade down in a draft short on QBs.  Is someone mortgaging picks for Murray or Haskin?  No.  This is Ej vs Geno.  Imo, 1 or both fall to the end of the first or second.  Hockinson is in the mix if they stay put as I expect them to.  Imo you are getting Oline, Wr,  Te.  The 4th or 5th Dlineman is not significantly better than the top Olineman or Wr.  With those positions needing the most improvement think it's a simple decision.

I feel Haskins and Murray will be highly coveted by a decent amount of teams. I think they both go top 11. I believe it’s a reach for both of them, especially Murray. Makes me glad the Bills got in on the QB draft last season. 

More to the point of the thread. I’m completely fine with Hockenson at 9. I think he will be there, but I don’t think he will be there much longer. I’ve seen a mock have Detroit take him at 8, I don’t believe it. No way that franchise takes a TE in the top 10 again after the Ebron disaster for them. 

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Eifert literally can’t stay on the field unfortunately.

Guys like Gresham are decent but 3700 yards in 9 seasons is not something I’d be thrilled about from the 9th overall pick.

This is the kind of thing bad teams do when they are so focused on drafting for need. There are going to be better players at 9.

I dunno, Jeremiah has him as his 5th best prospect.  Kiper has him as his 10th best prospect.

This is a real possibility at 9, depending on how he measures out and everything.

I don't know much about him, but if he's great as both a pass catcher AND  blocker, he could be worth it. 

We only have 1 TE on our roster right now.  Could be that Beane already has an eye on a particular TE prospect in the draft with plans to draft him.  He was on record over a year before drafting Allen that he liked him, so perhaps the state of our TE position right now is a sign we're seriously considering, if not already planning on drafting him at #9.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I dunno, Jeremiah has him as his 5th best prospect.  Kiper has him as his 10th best prospect.

This is a real possibility at 9, depending on how he measures out and everything.

I don't know much about him, but if he's great as both a pass catcher AND  blocker, he could be worth it. 

We only have 1 TE on our roster right now.  Could be that Beane already has an eye on a particular TE prospect in the draft with plans to draft him.  He was on record over a year before drafting Allen that he liked him, so perhaps the state of our TE position right now is a sign we're seriously considering, if not already planning on drafting him at #9.

The Bills have never had a dynamic TE in their history.  If Hockenson has a great combine, I'm ok considering him at 9.  

• Like (+1) 4

On 2/26/2019 at 10:09 AM, blacklabel said:

I don't think many people would disagree that he'd be a nice addition for them. However, the consensus I've picked up on is that mostly everyone on the board here would see it as a reach to take him 9th overall. At that stage of the draft there are still going to be some of these blue chip DL/DE players still on the board that would likely rate higher than Hockenson if they're measuring solely by BPA. I wouldn't mind Hockenson in a trade down scenario, maybe the middle of the round? It's really been far too long (if ever) that they've had a real weapon at tight end. Don't forget about his teammate Noah Fant and also Irv Smith, Jr. from Bama who has a working history with Daboll. Those guys could also be in play in the second round. If they're following the Carolina model for success, I'm sure they're searching for a guy for Allen who can be what Greg Olsen is to Cam Newton.