Can you think of a TV show that's blown you away from very beginning to very end?

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Loved Monk.  One of my all-time favorite shows that I still watch and re-watch.

But that wasn't really a storyline. 

You could very very easily watch any episode from any season out of order and be none the wiser and very entertained.

Still always seemed fresh.

I read the producers smartly limited any pop culture references in the show so be it it wouldn’t seem dated

53 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I read the producers smartly limited any pop culture references in the show so be it it wouldn’t seem dated

That makes me think of the show that aired along with Monk, Psych.  That one's loaded with pop culture references, but they're all from the 80s, during the youth of Shawn and Gus.  It makes me wonder how a show like that will age 10 or so years from now once that target demographic approaches their 50s and beyond.

10 hours ago, Another Fan said:

That would make sense. And it's brilliant. I seriously will still rewatch those episodes and laugh my butt off... even if they're both comedy AND drama, sort of.

I will agree with those that say "Breaking Bad" was as close to flawless as it gets...even though it isn't my favorite show (That would be, in order, The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire,  and Boardwalk Empire, Larry Sanders...Breaking Bad comes in a #6 for me).  BB was so tightly written, there was very little waste, and it was really well thought out.  I know the other shows meandered a bit at times, but I kinda like that.

Another show that deserves mention, is "Rectify".  I honestly only know 2 other people who have watched it..but it was excellent.  

Edited by Buftex

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Man, sounds like I gotta watch Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Peaky Blinders.

Aren't the last 2 similar to Sopranos in tone?

You really gotta watch Mad Men. You will thank me later.

Just be ready for a storytelling style that is a bit more subtle, there's no neon sign spelling out why that beloved character just acted the way they did. Mad Man doesn't hold your hand, they assume their audience is intelligent and can put things together. The characters are interesting psychologically. 

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

It's frequently, but not always, one that was excellent but had a very short run:

The Wire

Homicide

My So-called Life

The very short run legal show (one word) with Kelsay Grammar about six years ago

Seinfeld

Freaks and Geeks

The Shield

Brotherhood

On 2/28/2019 at 11:45 PM, Buftex said:

Another show that deserves mention, is "Rectify".  I honestly only know 2 other people who have watched it..but it was excellent.  

Rectify was one good show, with a great cast.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD