Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RPbillsfan

Is Dion Dawkins better at LT or LG

Recommended Posts

This draft and FA market is full of RT candidates.  As much as I'd love to see Dawkins move to LG I'm concerned we would fill a hole and open another.

 

It appears that Andre Dillard is the best available LT prospect in this draft.  But 9 is way to early to take him.  

 

I believe the Bills will be able to fill RT in free agency, maybe Darryl Williams or Juwann James.  So, if Dawkins is moved to LG, and Teller progresses at RG, we still need a LT.

 

What are your thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s a fine tackle, he just needs a little help on the rest of the line. He handled himself quite well when incognito was next to him, if they can put some talent on the line Dawkins is the least of my concerns 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea. Haven’t seen him play LG. I’ve seen people say he projected better at LG though. He has been a decent LT for us so unless we have a plan to replace him I would keep him where he is.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably draft a guy within the 1st 2 rounds and let them sort it out themselves. Get your RT and C in free agency. You could even keep Dawkins at LT for one more year and flip him and the draft pick the next year. If it plays out that way.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have the right thought with your OP.  I suspect Dawkins is still "penciled in" at LT, but Beane and McD will be looking for an upgrade at LT.  This is probably the case with all positions on the OLine.  The only thing we can be certain of is that the OLine in the 2019 season will look much different than the OLine of 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were some plays in Dawkins first year where he was at left guard.....and he was killer there.   Can't remember why, perhaps Richie was hurt.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean G is an easier position to play because you aren’t on an island like you are a T. It’s why Ts get paid more. So I’m guessing he would be better at LG.  But he is fine at OT, though he may never come close to being an all pro.  In a perfect world, you get a better LT and you can move Dawkins to RT or G.  But it’s not the biggest concern right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Teller is fine at LG. I think Dawkins should move to RT, sign a C and RG, draft a LT. 

Which LT would you select in this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Teller is fine at LG. I think Dawkins should move to RT, sign a C and RG, draft a LT. 

That’s a lot of moves. Good olines are ones they have continuity.  You basically are building a complete new oline with that.  There would be some struggles big time early in the year.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s a lot of moves. Good olines are ones they have continuity.  You basically are building a complete new oline with that.  There would be some struggles big time early in the year.

 

Good o-lines are ones that have continuity because they have a set chemistry. They're not good and need to mix em around until we're set, then we can have continuity. Continuity on something that isnt working doesn't make sense to me. 

 

 

 

 

7 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Which LT would you select in this draft.

 

We'll see after the combine. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Teller is fine at LG. I think Dawkins should move to RT, sign a C and RG, draft a LT. 

You didn't watch the games. Teller was worse than Ducasse and Miller.  He was terrible in pass protection.  He has tons of upside and I'm not saying he can't get better. But he just wasn't that good last year.

 

As for Dawkins I don't think anyone on this board knows.  He has played adequately at LT - great at times but like the entire line he had a down 2018.  Like others I don't think a move to LG is out of the question.  I suspect it comes down to FA and the draft.  If they draft a guy that can play LT and they only sign a true C in FA, then sure Dawkins might slide over to LG.  But assuming they let Mills walk any OT draft pick probably gets penciled in at RT.  Beane had better take the BPA OL in the draft in at least three rounds whether it is C/G/OT/TE.  They need multiple bodies and let it sort itself out in camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any claim that he would be better at guard is complete speculation. What do we know? He can hold his own at LT, the most important position on the line. I think the Bills would be foolish to move him unless they have a sure fire, proven (in the NFL) upgrade at LT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean G is an easier position to play because you aren’t on an island like you are a T. It’s why Ts get paid more. So I’m guessing he would be better at LG.  But he is fine at OT, though he may never come close to being an all pro.  In a perfect world, you get a better LT and you can move Dawkins to RT or G.  But it’s not the biggest concern right now.

 

It's not necessarily easier at guard; for some guys, it's actually much more difficult. Things happen a LOT faster inside, and you're facing bigger guys that are built lower to the ground, so the prototypical tall, angular tackle could struggle mightily to adapt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

It's not necessarily easier at guard; for some guys, it's actually much more difficult. Things happen a LOT faster inside, and you're facing bigger guys that are built lower to the ground, so the prototypical tall, angular tackle could struggle mightily to adapt.

 

 

 

He showed uncommon potential as a drive blocker as a rookie and he moved great for a guard.

 

I just think leaving him at LT is a recipe for losing him in FA..........and if you are going to move him you gotta' move him now when he is openly admitting that he didn't put his best effort into the chance he was given in 2018.

 

It might be justifiable to pay him $12M-$13M at LG when that time comes if he's as good as I think he can be........but if the open market for a solid LT is $17M then you end up with a Levitre situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dawkins can be a very good LT if he has a quality LG next to him. 

Instead of moving his position, please just upgrade the LG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Dawkins should be at guard.  He was a guard in college.  He’s an average nfl LT at best.  

 

No he wasn't. He was the LT at Temple. I do think he is an average to just above average LT and that is probably his ceiling there whereas he has all pro potential at guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Dawkins should be at guard.  He was a guard in college.  He’s an average nfl LT at best.  

Gunner beat me to it but you must be thinking of someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

It's not necessarily easier at guard; for some guys, it's actually much more difficult. Things happen a LOT faster inside, and you're facing bigger guys that are built lower to the ground, so the prototypical tall, angular tackle could struggle mightily to adapt.

 

Definitely agree with regards to taller guys.  But you can get by easy as a lesser G than T because you are surrounded on both sides.  Besides chilling with TEs and RBs, you are more alone on an island at OT.  

 

Personally, I think Dawkins is fine at OT, though RT might be his best position.  I think some people think because of his attitude, he could be a mauler type G.  But I freely admit I don’t really pay attention to oline play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely agree with regards to taller guys.  But you can get by easy as a lesser G than T because you are surrounded on both sides.  Besides chilling with TEs and RBs, you are more alone on an island at OT.  

 

Personally, I think Dawkins is fine at OT, though RT might be his best position.  I think some people think because of his attitude, he could be a mauler type G.  But I freely admit I don’t really pay attention to oline play.

 

It was as a rookie and it was pre-season and maybe I put too much store by it. But he just looked unnatural moving at right tackle. I have always felt his flexibility was Tackle / Guard rather than Left / Right.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

It was as a rookie and it was pre-season and maybe I put too much store by it. But he just looked unnatural moving at right tackle. I have always felt his flexibility was Tackle / Guard rather than Left / Right.

The amount of guys who successfully switch L/R is much less than we think. It’s learning a new position, truly, and every instinct can be wrong.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s a fine tackle, he just needs a little help on the rest of the line. He handled himself quite well when incognito was next to him, if they can put some talent on the line Dawkins is the least of my concerns 

He wasn’t “fine” last year.  He was awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×