Jets released C - Spencer Long

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017066/article/jets-release-center-spencer-long-after-just-one-season

We need all the linemen we can get. I am not sure if he is any good, I mean they did think he would be the next Nick Mangold so I guess that's something.

I'm sure Beane is doing his due diligence on this. What do you guys think?

They are going all in on Matt Paradis and I think we chase Mitch Morse. To me Long is pretty much Russell Bodine in terms of level of talent. 

But he he is a serviceable guy who adds depth, so probably worth a tire kick. I think we go after Morse and Daryl Williams. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/11/07/new-york-jets-spencer-long-situation-effect-future/

He had snapping issues related to a dislocated finger.   There is also a Pro Football Focus ratings mention in this story.

Thanks. I know he played a ton of Guard this year so it makes sense. I believe he was a guard at Nebraska. He's a power player they tried to make a zone center and it was destined to fail. 

I noticed that he had some injuries which hampered his play. Maybe those are behind him. I for one would love a veteran Center. Then get some guards and or a tackle in the draft of true free agency. If he passes waivers the Bills could bring him in now right? That is if the deem him someone who would help them. The pricing may be in their favor also due to his down year. 

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They are going all in on Matt Paradis and I think we chase Mitch Morse. To me Long is pretty much Russell Bodine in terms of level of talent. 

But he he is a serviceable guy who adds depth, so probably worth a tire kick. I think we go after Morse and Daryl Williams. 

..doesn't he have some injury issues?...think Elway lets him walk?..............

Long has good size.  I think cutting him is as much about cap management as anything.  there is some chirping in twitter world about the Jets bringing him back.  The timing of the cut was to avoid a roster bonus.  It does not make a lot of sense to me to bring him in unless he's seen as a clear upgrade, and I don't think you can prove that on the basis of last year.  

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..doesn't he have some injury issues?...think Elway lets him walk?..............

Surgeries on both hips one offseason...did not miss any snaps. Broken fibula when his own QB rolled up on it.

So there is some damaged goods element. There are a few serviceable FA's where I don't think they break the bank, and then grab a prospect like Biadasz next year to coach up for the long haul.

I think the Jags Shatley would be a decent upgrade....that team is a mess and that line dominated our D-Line. The guy is just coming into his own I think, they led the league in rushing and gave up a franchise low 24 sacks with Bortles at the helm. The Jags have had a lot of screw-ups on their team, but this guy seems to be just doing his job.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

From what I know he's been pretty durable, but did get hurt this year. I think Elway does let him walk becuase I don't know about his scheme fit anymore. He really is a zone center only. He's small, light, and very agile. I don't think he's the type of lineman Mike Munchak is going to need for a power run scheme. I might be wrong, but I think they let Paradis move on. I do think Gase will go hard after him. He was drafted by Denver while Gase was their OC and he is a perfect fit for his zone scheme. I figured Paradis would stay in Denver until Mike Munchak became their o-line guy. The red flag on Paradis is that he is not scheme versatile and a zone only player. 

All that that said, I strongly prefer Mitch Morse for us. He is scheme versatile and is very talented. The red flag on Morse is concussions. I'd be happy with either, but I'd love Morse a bit more. 

16 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

He's no better than what we already had.  I think the Bills will look elsewhere.

I think Long would be a huge upgrade if you put him at right guard and just left him there. It's were he spend his career in college. I do not like him as a center. All that said, I hope we aim higher in terms of upgrades. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

From what I know he's been pretty durable, but did get hurt this year. I think Elway does let him walk becuase I don't know about his scheme fit anymore. He really is a zone center only. He's small, light, and very agile. I don't think he's the type of lineman Mike Munchak is going to need for a power run scheme. I might be wrong, but I think they let Paradis move on. I do think Gase will go hard after him. He was drafted by Denver while Gase was their OC and he is a perfect fit for his zone scheme. I figured Paradis would stay in Denver until Mike Munchak became their o-line guy. The red flag on Paradis is that he is not scheme versatile and a zone only player. 

All that that said, I strongly prefer Mitch Morse for us. He is scheme versatile and is very talented. The red flag on Morse is concussions. I'd be happy with either, but I'd love Morse a bit more. 

I think Long would be a huge upgrade if you put him at right guard and just left him there. It's were he spend his career in college. I do not like him as a center. All that said, I hope we aim higher in terms of upgrades. 

...think the concussion issues would be enough for Andy to let him walk?.....he does have a prized possession in the back field.............

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think the concussion issues would be enough for Andy to let him walk?.....he does have a prized possession in the back field.............

I think their issue is cap space, with Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones coming up soon. Dee Ford, Steven Nelson, and Allen Bailey are free agents this year. They were okay when Morse was out, and they already extended his replacement, Austin Reiter. They also extended Cam Erving. I don't think they want to lose Morse, but I do believe they will get outbid big time. I think he's the guy they may have to sacrifice. They probably have to cut Eric Berry and Justin Houston to try to sign all of these guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think their issue is cap space, with Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones coming up soon. Dee Ford, Steven Nelson, and Allen Bailey are free agents this year. They were okay when Morse was out, and they already extended his replacement, Austin Reiter. They also extended Cam Erving. I don't think they want to lose Morse, but I do believe they will get outbid big time. I think he's the guy they may have to sacrifice. They probably have to cut Eric Berry and Justin Houston to try to sign all of these guys. 

..great points and analysis....would Ford be on your radar?...............

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Very difficult to believe that anyone would let a proven OL walk with how scarce they are, so I wonder about Paradis myself. Probably a better chance to get someone like Long who has disappointed and try to turn him around while drafting for the long term.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Happy with all these options

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..great points and analysis....would Ford be on your radar?...............

Thanks! Love Dee Ford, but I think he gets the franchise tag this year. There are some question marks though. KC has been a 3-4 base for many years. With Spagnolo coming in and shifting to a 4-3, it will be interesting how they view Ford. He is considered a smaller defensive end, same size as Jerry Hughes, and while he plays a lot of the game with his hand in the dirt, the Chiefs need to determine if he can really be an every down base defensive end. 

I think there here is a chance they tag him and trade him, but I think it is more likely they tag him and see how he fits in their new defense for 1 year at least. 

In terms of edge defenders, I think the most likely guy to hit the market is Trey Flowers of the Pats and if he does, I assume he heads to Detroit or Miami. I think Clowney, Lawrence, and Ford get the tag. My favorite player out of the group is probably Frank Clark, but I think he goes back to the Seahawks. 

In all honesty, I think Beane will target at least two veteran offensive lineman and a tight end. I think the defensive is improved via the draft. But I like our defense overall, we just really need a 3 technique. Unless you love Sheldon Richardson or the Rams cut Michael Brockers, that player likely comes via the draft. 

12 minutes ago, WizdomCalling said:

Can still someone clarify if the bills can sign players that are released? Or do they have to wait until free agency?

Players who are released are available to be signed right away. We signed released players Chris Ivory and Vontae Davis before free agency last year. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, WizdomCalling said:

Can still someone clarify if the bills can sign players that are released? Or do they have to wait until free agency?

A player released during season or after can be signed immediately. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017066/article/jets-release-center-spencer-long-after-just-one-season

We need all the linemen we can get. I am not sure if he is any good, I mean they did think he would be the next Nick Mangold so I guess that's something.

I'm sure Beane is doing his due diligence on this. What do you guys think?

What do I think?  The offseason is always way too long and starts way too early for us.