Kingsbury finalizing AZ HC deal

Reed83HOF

As others have noted this looks like an attempt by Arizona to mimic the Rams Sean McVay hiring.  You know the one where you bring in the hot new offensive mind with very little NFL experience baggage and unleash him on the league.  What could possibly go wrong? 

My gut says though that Sean McVay's don't grow on trees and once an organization tries to COPY the success (luck) of another it usually doesn't work out.  I guess only time will tell.  However on the face of it Rosen should be happy with this hire. 

7 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Because we’ll have Bills fans crying “we should have taken Josh Rosen,” the way they say “We should have taken Pat Mahomes.”  It’s time to move on 

What a silly thing to be worried about. If Allen ends up being good then who cares? 

20 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As others have noted this looks like an attempt by Arizona to mimic the Rams Sean McVay hiring.  You know the one where you bring in the hot new offensive mind with very little NFL experience baggage and unleash him on the league.  What could possibly go wrong? 

My gut says though that Sean McVay's don't grow on trees and once an organization tries to COPY the success (luck) of another it usually doesn't work out.  I guess only time will tell.  However on the face of it Rosen should be happy with this hire. 

McVay had NFL OC experience and a very experienced, accomplished DC with HC experience that he could trust and lean on. We will see who kliff brings in but the only similarity between the two is they are young and on the offensive side. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Kliff-Kingsbury-Texas-Tech-football-coac

Hide your daughters. 

I just can't see this guy being a leader of grown men and has a failed track record. McVay was young but had a lot of NFL experience. This guy seems to be way too much of a bro. We will see. 

Not sure the last guy to be fired by a meh college with a losing record despite an elite QB and gets hired the next year as an NFL head coach. 

Can't argue with his talent evaluation skills though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

So when the bills defense was terrible under Rex Ryan it wasn’t his fault because he was the head coach, and to think everyone was blaming rex

Rex was a defensive coach so yes I blame him for the defense.  For example, Marrone is an offensive coach and in his only 2 good years, was carried by his defense.

if KK’s offense sucked but he had a great defense, I won’t hire him.

3 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Kliff-Kingsbury-Texas-Tech-football-coac

Hide your daughters. 

I just can't see this guy being a leader of grown men and has a failed track record. McVay was young but had a lot of NFL experience. This guy seems to be way too much of a bro. We will see. 

Not sure the last guy to be fired by a meh college with a losing record despite an elite QB and gets hired the next year as an NFL head coach.  

Agree.

Initially, I wasn't worried about Daboll being poached by another team. He is to mediocre and untested. But now I am worried Daboll could be a hot candidate. (I assume the Bills would let him interview)

If the new HC standard views Kliff as HC material.. then Daboll must look like a gold plated candidate.

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing that has been more puzzling to me than the Rex Ryan rumors in Miami was this guy being a serious candidate for AZ.  I don't really understand this...he attempted 2 career pass attempts in the NFL, so him being an ex-player cant be a factor as he was more irrelevant than Nathan Peterman.  He didn't win in college either as a HC.  So what exactly is his resume to be chosen this fast over all the candidates out there?

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Before we crown McVay, lets keep in mind he has 0 playoff game wins still and hasn't won anything.  And he has a tough game this weekend that is no gimme, especially with the Rams having some late season hiccups.  

Rams are my #2 team, and I like McVay a lot, so dont get me wrong here.  But people need to pump the brakes in general when they crown people the next king.  They love to do it off small sample sizes and many times it doesn't work out like they think.  Not saying McVay won't prove to be a great coach, there is a lot to like about him right now obviously and I am a fan too.  But, let the guy show he can get some postseason success before he becomes the model to copy.

Keep in mind, he didn't turn that team around using the same roster Fisher had.  In fact, the offense got a complete overhaul that year and they added two critical OL which allowed Gurly to get going again after a slump of a sophomore year.  They also gutted the WRs and added Watkins, Woods, and Kupp plus they drafted Garrett also to form a dangerous duo for them at TE.  And their rookie QB was now in his 2nd year too and got a full offseason as the starter.  There were a lot more things that went into that turn around than just McVay.  Of course he had a heavy hand in that, so not taking anything away from him.  Just saying let him win when it matters before he starts getting crowned is all.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup, that’s the big take away.  Might not work but they went all in.  We left our rookie with the a guy who has been a bottom 5 OC for every year except when he was on fire at 22.

In a different thread, I posted a link to an article about why the current NFL fad for young unblemished offensive minds might not be a good thing.

You might want to check it out (the article, really, not my post, though I try to summarize 'cuz subscription)

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of boom or bust type hires lately. It seems as though NFL teams are somewhat overcompensating for their past conservatism. If I were a Cardinals fan, I wouldn't mind swinging for the fences. It's not like a strikeout is gonna end a big inning the way things are going down there.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Before we crown McVay, lets keep in mind he has 0 playoff game wins still and hasn't won anything.  And he has a tough game this weekend that is no gimme, especially with the Rams having some late season hiccups.  

Rams are my #2 team, and I like McVay a lot, so dont get me wrong here.  But people need to pump the brakes in general when they crown people the next king.  They love to do it off small sample sizes and many times it doesn't work out like they think.  Not saying McVay won't prove to be a great coach, there is a lot to like about him right now obviously and I am a fan too.  But, let the guy show he can get some postseason success before he becomes the model to copy.

Keep in mind, he didn't turn that team around using the same roster Fisher had.  In fact, the offense got a complete overhaul that year and they added two critical OL which allowed Gurly to get going again after a slump of a sophomore year.  They also gutted the WRs and added Watkins, Woods, and Kupp plus they drafted Garrett also to form a dangerous duo for them at TE.  And their rookie QB was now in his 2nd year too and got a full offseason as the starter.  There were a lot more things that went into that turn around than just McVay.  Of course he had a heavy hand in that, so not taking anything away from him.  Just saying let him win when it matters before he starts getting crowned is all.

I think this is critical - What limited success McVay has had has been with a very aggressive GM getting him a ton of experienced pieces and a DC that was phenomenal last year, but the defense has regressed this year with more talent, but the HC seems to be very hands off.  It has cost them games during the season and may end up being their downfall again in the post season.

I do not think that will endure long term success.  My feeling is KK will be put in an even worse situation because his GM is not even on par with the GM in LA.  It is really going to depend upon his staff, but I think this has crash and burn written all over it.  Especially as KK has shown no ability to be a HC (an OC or a QB coach yes - not a HC). You are suddenly responsible for so much more and it shows with how poor he did at TT in a highly offensive conference that his offense was just above average, but his defense was non-existent.

He does not have to recruit, but he has to be able to bring in FAs going against young QBs in SF and LA.  Should be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 1