Kingsbury finalizing AZ HC deal

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll be very interested to see what type of staff he is able to assemble. I don’t know how extensive his network of contacts is at the NFL level. 

More often than not, NFL head coaches have had some type of experience at the NFL level before being hired as a HC, and therefore have usually developed some type of network of contacts at the NFL level. 

I wonder if Kingsbury might have to rely more on trying to pull his assistants from the college coaching ranks (but even there, he’s only worked for a couple teams - Houston, Texas Tech and USC for like 2 seconds). 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/kliff-kingsbury-could-have-a-hard-time-putting-a-staff-together/

Either that or he can quickly assemble new NFL assistant coach contacts starting with Juan Castillo, Terry Robiskie, Danny Crossman ... I hear they may be back on the job market.

... there's a lot of good reasons to wonder whether Kingsbury was a smart choice, but the inability to recruit various NFL retreads as assistants isn't one of them.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just saw a stat that Dennis Green went 26-63 as a college coach!!!! He then had 6 double digit win season in the nfl.  

Steve Mariucci was 6-6 in his only college season and then won double digits in the nfl 4 times.  

So...two out of thousands of coaches? 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

So...two out of thousands of coaches? 

It’s kinda like how Josh Allen will the qb who had a 56% passer rating in a sub power 5 conference and be the one in thousands to be successful in then nfl.  ?

I don’t know if it will work but I will never hate on a team going all in on their future qb.  And I don’t think the Bills have done that.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s kinda like how Josh Allen will the qb who had a 56% passer rating in a sub power 5 conference and be the one in thousands to be successful in then nfl.  ?

I don’t know if it will work but I will never hate on a team going all in on their future qb.  And I don’t think the Bills have done that.

I'm pretty sure the 1st round draft picks with sub 60% completion percentage is a much smaller pool than that...

#hyperbole

21 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm pretty sure the 1st round draft picks with sub 60% completion percentage is a much smaller pool than that...

#hyperbole

In the last 10 years, please name a successful starting qb who never had one season with a 60% in college.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

In the last 10 years, please name a successful starting qb with a sub 60% college completion rate. 

Since you are the one constantly telling us how group stats say it is highly unlikely that Allen will be a successful NFL QB (setting aside for now that group stats mean absolutely nothing on an individual basis),  why don’t you provide us a link to the statistics showing the success rate of all sub 60% drafted QBs versus the success rate of all 60% plus drafted QBs?  

Then, perhaps, you could explain to all of us how it has any relevance at all to the future success or lack of success regarding Josh Allen?

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

True, you could say that.  However while I didn't watch his college games so I don't know what happened there, I do know that with the Bills he had lousy talent around him and no running game, and that the number of drops by his receivers would have pushed his completion rate over 60%.  Kingsbury OTOH is all potential at this point and making a huge jump up.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just saw a stat that Dennis Green went 26-63 as a college coach!!!! He then had 6 double digit win season in the nfl.  

Steve Mariucci was 6-6 in his only college season and then won double digits in the nfl 4 times.  

The expectations of what Kingsbury was supposed to do at Texas Tech and what Green was supposed to do at Northwestern/Stanford were much, much different.  

Northwestern was 1-33 in their last 34 games before Green took over.

That Cal Bears team was 3-8 the year before Mariucci.

Green was fired in Minnesota because he had a loaded team and couldn't win.  AZ, he didn't turn things around.  

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In the last 10 years, please name a successful NFL HC who was below .500 in college.

In the last 10 years most NFL teams have avoided going the college coach route. Put it this way.... if Kingsbury succeeds there will be a rush on to grab these offensive college spread guys.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In the last 10 years most NFL teams have avoided going the college coach route. Put it this way.... if Kingsbury succeeds there will be a rush on to grab these offensive college spread guys.

Oh I know...I was just stating an example of his example.  

You're right....the NFL is a copy cat league.