Sean McDermott’s Current Approval Rating

Sean McDermott’s Current Approval Rating  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve Sean McDermott As Bills HC?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I don’t approve

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This team progressed as the season went on.

McD admitted KB was a mistake by cutting him.

He benched Clay late in the season/ healthy scratch. 

I watched an Offense that was capable of working if stocked with capable linemen and receivers.

He didn’t lose this team during the rough stretches.

He still has things to learn as a coach but he’s on s learning curve too.

Unless there is some crazy lockeroom revolt and he completely loses this team next season, I want him to have a minimum of 2 more years.

This is pretty much where I am.  As long as the team doesnt bolt on him, which I have a hard time believing will happen I dont see how we dont progress from this past year.

I want to see how they build around Allen.  I think with a good draft and a couple FA's we are in the hunt. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We're a few pieces from realistically being legit contenders.

I feel McD and Beane both had the same vision and blueprint on how to build a long term , sustainable , winning team. They took their time , took on the dead money , lowest active roster this year, basicallysacrificed the last two years to be in this current position. 90 mil in cap , while losing no major FA, besides a 35 year old Kyle and Lorax, who we can re sign for a very reasonable contract. 

McDermott is a natural HC and gets so much out of his players imo. Think he'll be here a long time. I think 2019 could be the start of something special for the Bills . 

For all of the negatives about the players here, this was a referendum on McDermott, NOT Bean. 

Also, some of this issues that have been brought up, to me, are simply part of having one of the youngest teams in the league. 

When judging, I believe it’s critical to look at the complete picture as opposed to cherry picking issues to support your own feelings. 

He’s an above average coach and leader of men. Yes for me. 

56 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yeah you ever see a presidential approval rating?  There’s two options.  Not doing a 3rd

I don't give a ***** about presidents.  Talking about a coach of a team. Not exactly the same job title. 

I wouldn't fire him but so far he is nothing special and has made more errors than good judgements.

Starting Peterman at San Diego and again in 2018 is a joke.

But I have decided that I'm giving Beane and McD a clean slate. I dont buy this salary cap story one bit. It was a crisis made by Beane. But i am moving on and just judging individual decisions made in the future. 

4 hours ago, crabby116 said:

I only have a few complaints the main one being McBean's handling of the quarterback position behind Josh.

However Im the tard that wanted Rosen not Allen when the pick was made so screw me.

I believe the question was JUST about Coach McDermott. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I voted yes.   But I'm still not feeling like I want him to be the Bills HC for the next decade, plus.  That's how I want to feel and hopefully where I get.

Curious.  Would that take:

1) Better record w-l 

2) less blowout losses and more dominating wins? 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Curious.  Would that take:

1) Better record w-l 

2) less blowout losses and more dominating wins? 

Better in-game coaching/decisions.  Better personnel management.  But, again, I'm happy with him.  Just not "sold" yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I approve of the job McDermott has done. It's clear that the guys who are here have bought in to what he's selling. He took an average team and coached them to the playoffs in his first year on the job. Now he's working toward helping the young team grow up into consistent contenders. 

He also brought in... 

Vontae

Benjamin...

They've definitely brought in guys who like those above, didn't buy in, and others who didn't perform.

They've also hit on a lot of the secondary additions.

My approval rating would be right at 50%. I don't approve or disapprove yet. He's pretty average to this point. Has done some great work, but also been pretty bad in some areas.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Re-Build and re-load doesn't take 5 freaking years if you know what you're doing.

McDummy doesn't have clue 1 on how to pull this off... Him and Beane will continue to swing and miss in free agency, as well as overdraft.

Next year this time we'll probably be here having a similar discussion.

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Dickball 2.0

McDermott is a very traditional, conservative, "football guy" kind of HC.

His in game tactics are terrible, and his penalty challenges have been atrocious.  He makes lots of in-game mistakes. 

He's not what this league is going to be in a few years.  He's the past.

On the plus side, he seems to be a good motivator and he seemingly gets his players to show up and play hard, consistently.  And that's a big part of a HC's job in the NFL.

So he is not all good or all bad; in the end, he is easily replaced with equal or better quality IMO.

I voted "don't approve" b/c I really don't like him as a HC, but I would have preferred a third voting option: "Meh" as in, I can take him or leave him right now.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The only point I would argue is that McD is not responsible for signing players which you claim is the biggest issue.  He cut AJ and is on Beane to get another player in there which he admitted he took too long to get. 

Can't or won't argue with most of the others you said. Some is hindsight but others are right on. 

I did mention McBeane mishandled the QB position. But it was McDermott & his coaching staff that decided to cut McCarron. McDermott love for Peterman probably kept Beane from making the move though... I mean, that's just speculation, but we as fans have to look at the facts & fill in the gaps on our own. 

Beane probably had Anderson on speed dial, but who's to say McDermott didn't block it or & Beane was ok with backing his buddy's decision??? It's not like McDermott is perfect at making these kind of decisions. 

It's a good argument to have...& I think we all can agree we're glad they finally figured it out. But McDermott has power in that building, trust and believe...that was his call & Beane went along for the ride even if he was against the trip in the 1st place, Beane still gassed the car up & jumped in the passenger seat with an attitude ?

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I do not want McD fired. Or Beane, for that matter.

BUT

I just don't see how this season was anything other than woefully mismanaged.

Looking back at the evolution of how Allen's development, and the plan surrounding him changed, nothing they did made much sense. He was drafted as a "raw talent" who would need time to sit, and learn. The most common consensus on him on draft night was that he was the least NFL ready of the top prospects. And so, he was put into a three-way QB competition (which he lost) with the likes of AJ McCarron, and Late Nate Peterman. 

And, somehow, it was decided that Late Nate would be the starter? With Allen as his backup? And, why should we need anything even remotely resembling a vet presence? What the hell was that???  

Then, after the inevitable happened (Nate crapped the bed), Allen gets thrown in with: the worst receiving corp, and the fourth worst O-line in the league. Are there two units more important to a QB's development than those? NOPEOf course Allen got injured. Ignoring the O-line, and receiving corps was utterly irresponsible under the circumstances.

It was a month into the regular season that they signed a vet mentor, and reasonable QB alternative. 

No matter how you slice it. Whatever one's theory on McD's philosophy going into the season-- whether it was a "win now," a rebuild, a purely developmental year for Allen, or even a straight up tank-- the mismanagement of this team, and of Allen in particular, was egregious. 

The part I under line, is my biggest thing about Allen...people on this board refuse to believe nobody really wanted Allen during pre draft evaluations. 

He's won me over, I will admit... but it's that anyone can argue that he was a highly touted prospect coming into the draft. See I don't fake my feelings & if I'm wrong I will admit it...

There's literally a YouTube videos of Fans pissed off with the Allen pick! Check it out cause I was one of them ???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

He traded away our 11th pick to the Chiefs...instead of just taking Mahomes or Watson..

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? If the league knew what Mahomes or Watson would become they would have been long gone at the pick

You can't have hindsight both ways.

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

as well as overdraft.

Are you serious or just on wind up?

I can't vote because my choice isn't there, it would probably work better as percentages. At the moment I'm a bit indifferent to the job he's done. He's made some good decision and guys seem to buy into what he's doing, thus far. Saying that, he's made some really poor decisions and his in game management leaves a little to be desired. This next offseason and season is where we learn if it really is working. They need to improve next season. Players need to show progress.

On a side note, for all those who say McBeane had to tear it down would the team be any worse off if instead of tearing the team down McBeane had a plan like this:  Sign Gilmore. Draft Mahomes(he still sits for a year). Every other draft pick goes the same. Pick up Sammys 5th year option(look I get he's under preformed but he would be no worse of an option than Benjamin was and he would be the speed they were looking for at the end of this season). Keep Cordy Glenn and move Dawkins to LG. They can still do every other move they did after that, if they wanted to. Then the 2018 draft they could have stayed put and picked up someone like Ridley and probably still drafted Edmunds and everyone else they wanted too. Maybe they pick up a OL earlier in the draft.

I just think a better plan, long term, is to get your QB then build around him not wait for that QB to come to you. I think McDermott misjudged the talent of the roster and thought they were going to be bad but was surprised when they were able to push for the playoffs last season.

Anyways, the tear down is done, that's the easy job. Now can they build it up, that's where I'll judge them.

• Thank you (+1) 1