Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

How did this morph into a trade for AB thread?

Pittsburgh is NOT trading him... they have a 2-3 year window of competing for a super bowl, as much drama as AB brings to the Burgh, the Steelers will instead focus on how they can get all their talent to play as a team

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dabills21 said:

How did this morph into a trade for AB thread?

Pittsburgh is NOT trading him... they have a 2-3 year window of competing for a super bowl, as much drama as AB brings to the Burgh, the Steelers will instead focus on how they can get all their talent to play as a team

Can you please tell us what Beane will do between now and 2019 OTAs?  I don't feel like waiting months.

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones and, well, JuJu at this point. They’re all immensely likeable elite receivers.

Add AJ Green for me. I know he's been hurt but he's consistently a top WR and professional. And he choke slammed Jalen Ramsey which has to be worth something.

Just now, dabills21 said:

I don't pretend to know everything, but i do know that the Steelers won't trade him.

Want to back up your comment with a wager? I'm ready when u are....

AB asked for a trade.
and he was called out by Ryan Clark.

"time to go "

will anyone pick up that Contract? thats the question

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

He can request a trade all he wants, but I doubt it will happen. Probably end up being another Bell scenario type situation.

and how did that work out for the Steelers ?
peeing in a pot and throwing it out the window kind of fun ?
Steelers and Brown need to figure this out, because it has been ugly over there.

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Add AJ Green for me. I know he's been hurt but he's consistently a top WR and professional. And he choke slammed Jalen Ramsey which has to be worth something.

Absolutely AJ as well good call. Doesn’t say anything. But Sees bush league defenders doing bush league things; takes their heads off. AJ is the man

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

AB asked for a trade.

"time to go "

and how did that work out for the Steelers ?
peeing in a pot and throwing it out the window kind of fun ?
Steelers and Brown need to figure this out, because it has been ugly over there.

Yeah it was ugly, but I just don't see it happening. Both sides will probably be stubborn and something similar would end up happening. We will find out though soon enough.

25 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The better question would be how confident are you that we need 3 starting caliber Olinemen, RB, WR, DT, DE, Another TE,  LB to replace Zo when he retires.  Julio doesn't make up for that.  I want a dynast not a 3 year playoff stint where we can't quite get to the big game.

I am quite confident that guy may contribute for the next 10 years.

That's not a better question at all. In fact the two issues are almost unrelated.

Julio fills one of the biggest needs on the team; one of the ones you yourself listed.

I can feel pretty confident that I can find at least 2 starting OLmen in FA. 

You have 9 more draft picks to add talent in areas that are very easy to fill like RB, off-ball LB, rotational DT, and TE. In fact, not a single player from

LorAx, Clay, Shady, or Kyle was a high draft pick; 3 of the 4 were post 5th round.

I also have no clue how you can claim to be confident that a 9th overall pick will be a 10-year contributor; just look at the last 10 #9 overall picks--only 3 turned out to be studs.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I heard it through the grapevine he'd only count for 7 million against the cap if they trade him after June 1st.  The Bills have no shot in hell, but he still could realistically be traded.  I'm sure the Steelers and him will make amends though.

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

AB asked for a trade.

"time to go "

Again, I'll be willing to wager anyone and everyone that Pittsburgh doesn't trade him.

AB said the same thing early in the season...few additional reasons to support my comment:

1. ABs contract is not structured in a team friendly trade or release scenario in 2019

2. Steelers understand that they have a short window to compete for super bowl, until Ben retires...and trading arguably the best WR in the NFL...hmmm

3. as talented as Juju is, he's not ready to be the #1 yet.  Steelers know when to move on from players, and JuJus time will come

4. Trading Brown will be another knock to an organization, that will make them look like they can't manage talented/diva players.  This situation is way different than Lbs, but in 2 years time, they aren't going to strip that much talent from a Super bowl contender

I can go on...

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Jordan Phillips was a potential headache. He publicly defied his coach over his snap count. But he loves to play the game. I don't think McDermott minds that attitude as long as the player is talented and devoted to the game. That being said they would need to do their research and make sure Brown's personality would be the right fit here.

We shall see.  I’m sure he could be ours for a 1st

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I heard it through the grapevine he'd only count for 7 million against the cap if they trade him after June 1st.  The Bills have no shot in hell, but he still could realistically be traded.  I'm sure the Steelers and him will make amends though.

Yes, but still 14 million next year then. 

16 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I would swap picks and a 3rd for Julio but Im not giving up the 9th overall pick for a WR in that age group.  I would probably give up a Second in a pick swap.  A top 10 pick is very valuable.  We got Two 1st the last time we traded it IIRC.

He is 29 years old.  If we were 1 Julio Jones away from being a SB contender I would do it straight up.

Developing Josh Allen is job #1.

Teams like the Chiefs, Rams, Texans, Eagles and Bears are using stud WR's to elevate the game of their raw young QB's.

All but the Chiefs were bad teams like the Bills..........and the next year they became surprise contenders.

And btw........they better be contenders next season or McBeane got some 'splainin' to do.........no 5 year plans in the modern NFL.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's not true...

the information that Andrew Brandt tweeted.is accurate.

Steelers previously restructured ABs contract, and 2019 will be difficult to move him off the roster

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Which is still doable for teams with a lot of cap space the next two years like the Bills and Jets.

That would be the dead cap space for the Steelers, not the team he would be traded to. And Pittsburgh is always tight on cap room.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

For however talented Brown is, he is a "me first" diva whom you will never be able to appease. Someone will make this move still and God knows I pray it's not the Pats. 

Unless AB is serious enough about wanting out of Steeltown to give back some of his bonus, the Steelers literally can not afford to trade or cut him.

$22M in dead cap would cripple them next year, with losing a serious talent to boot.