Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

34 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

How about this: Buffalo trades the #9 pick and a 2nd round pick to Pittsburgh for Brown and the #20 pick?

That's effectively two 2nd round picks for AB.

How about Poyer and a #2?:flirt:

As you mentioned earlier.......I don't think they can be on the same team.

The Bills first round pick is definitely too early for Brown considering his ever accumulating baggage IMO.......I think a team with a late first round pick or an earlier selecting second rounder would be best positioned in the event the Steelers were willing to bury that $20M in dead money.

I think that #9 pick is perfectly positioned for Julio Jones though if the Falcons decide they can part with him.

AB may be no worse of an attitude issue than McCoy was when the Bills traded for him but that was Rex...........I don't think McD would be comfortable with Brown.

Jones though...........he's all about hard work and routine.........I think he'd actually like the McD way............and of course he's waiting on that contract re-do.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills first round pick is definitely too early for Brown considering his ever accumulating baggage IMO.......I think a team with a late first round pick or an earlier selecting second rounder would be best positioned in the event the Steelers were willing to bury that $20M in dead money.

I think that #9 pick is perfectly positioned for Julio Jones though if the Falcons decide they can part with him.

AB may be no worse of an attitude issue than McCoy was when the Bills traded for him but that was Rex...........I don't think McD would be comfortable with Brown.

Jones though...........he's all about hard work and routine.........I think he'd actually like the McD way............and of course he's waiting on that contract re-do.

9 for Julio is a straight yes for me.

No brainer.

One thing that doesn't seem to be talked a lot about related to this is Tomlin lying about the "knee injury".  That's a pretty bad look (at a minimum) 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So his age is the issue? I mean, realistically any player you trade a pick for is going to be older than the guy you'd draft.

Also, what player are you getting at 9 that you feel confident will contribute more to the team for the next 3 years than the combined effort of Brown and the player you pick at 20?

what if one does not feel confident about the trade. regardless of talent ?
 me ? i would much rather find my #1 WR in the draft. and at nine? i aint giving that up for nothing that is not a lock to play ball

is it possible he is already down siding and Steelers know it ?

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

When a player loses speed and quickness production starts dropping...he is right around the time that happens for WRs...why would you make a bad bet? 

I don’t view it as a bad bet. I wouldn’t expect to have Brown playing at an elite level for the next 5 years but if we can get him at his current production for the next 2 or 3 then I think it would be a tremendous help to Allen’s development. For that I’ll gladly take that chance.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would swap picks and a 3rd for Julio but Im not giving up the 9th overall pick for a WR in that age group.  I would probably give up a Second in a pick swap.  A top 10 pick is very valuable.  We got Two 1st the last time we traded it IIRC.

He is 29 years old.  If we were 1 Julio Jones away from being a SB contender I would do it straight up.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

I would swap picks and a 3rd for Julio but Im not giving up the 9th overall pick for a WR in that age group.

Like I asked before: how confident are you that the player you get at 9 will contribute more to this team in the next 3 seasons than Julio?

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

what if one does not feel confident about the trade. regardless of talent ?
 me ? i would much rather find my #1 WR in the draft. and at nine? i aint giving that up for nothing that is not a lock to play ball

is it possible he is already down siding and Steelers know it ?

Sure, but simply basing it on age isn't a wise approach.

He's still one of the 3 best WRs in football every year 

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Like I asked before: how confident are you that the player you get at 9 will contribute more to this team in the next 3 seasons than Julio?

I'm sorry , are we talking about Jones ?
if so, i might be swayed.
my apologies. i thought it was about Brown  : (

12 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He did that with AB lined up opposite.  Someday you guys will understand stats dont tell the whole story.

Take a look at Price's stats lined up with Moulds and then check him out for the rest of his career.

Teams are not game planning to stop JuJu they are trying to stop AB and still cant.

As far as your last statement, That very fact makes my point its very important to the arguement.  LOL I love how some of you like to dismiss anything that proves you wrong.  

1. You didn’t prove anything;

2. This was just a question about “likeable” star wideouts. JuJu is emerging as a star, elite wideout in his own right. Sure it helps him that he has AB lined up opposite him most days. Big deal. There are several other WR2s in the league oppo elite guys as well and they don’t come close to Juju’s production. Is Will Fuller putting up juju’s numbers? Is Calvin Ridley? I didn’t dismiss you because you “proved” anything wrong. I dismissed because you’re off-topic.

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

One thing that doesn't seem to be talked a lot about related to this is Tomlin lying about the "knee injury".  That's a pretty bad look (at a minimum) 

Minimize distractions I guess as they needed the win

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So his age is the issue? I mean, realistically any player you trade a pick for is going to be older than the guy you'd draft.

Also, what player are you getting at 9 that you feel confident will contribute more to the team for the next 3 years than the combined effort of Brown and the player you pick at 20?

Skill players who rely upon quickness and agility do seem to "fall off a cliff" at some point in their early 30s.

For me, though, the issue with Brown is not his age, or his salary, it's what's between his ears.

Look at what's gone down.  Tomlin has created a freakin' monster.  Brown walks out of practice, skips practice, skips walkthroughs, skips mandatory meetings, and expects to play in the game.  This past Sunday wasn't the first, or the second, or the third time.  Tomlin has been letting him get away with it by some reports since 2015.

Now that's on Tomlin for crap leadership and discipline.  But whoever were to trade for or take on Brown, is gonna reap what Tomlin and the Stillers sowed between his ears.

The thing about trading AB is unless he renegotiates his contract and gives back some of his signing bonus, the Steelers are really stuck with him.  They've got $28M in cap space before they re-sign anyone or make FA moves.  Cutting or trading AB, they immediately eat $22M in dead cap. 

They simply can't do it and contend.  They've got to deal with him somehow.

The Steelers appear to be a Hot Mess.  They're not the Steelers anymore, they've become the "Me"-lers.

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The better question would be how confident are you that we need 3 starting caliber Olinemen, RB, WR, DT, DE, Another TE,  LB to replace Zo when he retires.  Julio doesn't make up for that.  I want a dynast not a 3 year playoff stint where we can't quite get to the big game.

I am quite confident that guy may contribute for the next 10 years.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would go with that and how.

I also think, given the Steelers committment to Brown and Juju AND Roethlisberger's public dissing of Washington, the Bills should call and offer to take Washington off their hands.  Their QB doesn't like him, he's not working out, let's give him a fresh start :):)

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

AB may be no worse of an attitude issue than McCoy was when the Bills traded for him

Ohno.  Nono.  Way worse.  Way way worse.  McCoy ran his mouth about Kelly, but he never ran out of the locker room at halftime or off of the practice field, or skipped mandatory meetings.  Nothing of that sort.

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

The better question would be how confident are you that we need 3 starting caliber Olinemen, RB, WR, DT, DE, Another TE,  LB to replace Zo when he retires.  Julio doesn't make up for that.  I want a dynast not a 3 year playoff stint where we can't quite get to the big game.

This is a fair counterpoint.  We might be better off with a lesser WR and more stout OLmen.