2019 NFL Draft: Bills officially picking 9th

Virgil

10 hours ago, mannc said:

Let me explain something to you:  No one knows who the “best player available” is at any particular spot in the draft, especially when you are comparing, for example, a DT with a WR.  Some people might think they know, but they don’t.  And at any rate, I would argue that a really good WR is far more valuable than a great DT, especially on this team.

The Bills need offensive playmakers and a couple offensive linemen.  Those are the guys they need to be looking at in the first three rounds.  

You’re nuts Matt Millen.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

As of right now, and I will absolutely change my mind a lot....

1 - Oliver (His antics make me wonder if he’s a process guy, but he’ll make the biggest impact at a position of need)

2 - Trade back - No legit WR worth taking that screams #1.  

3 -  Williams - Lock up the bookends for the next 10 years and call it a day (depending on how FA goes)

Williams is a central valley, CA guy just like Allen. There may be some bonding potential.

11 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

So if the next best wr is graded as a mid to late round pick by your scouts and the dt is graded out as a top 5 pick you would take the wr. That is idiotic and how you end up like the raiders

If nobody knows who the best players available are why do the first few rounds have a better success rate than last few?

That's way too extrem of an example. In real life and not including qbs, it's more like the 5th rated player vs the 14th rated player. That's why trade downs happen. And trade downs are what the bills should be focusing on anyway. They need a many picks as possible.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

NFL Network is showing that the Bills have pick 10 with Denver at 9.

They're wrong.   The strength of schedule became a tie after last night's game.  Buffalo gets the tie breaker with opponets win loss record.  

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's way too extrem of an example. In real life and not including qbs, it's more like the 5th rated player vs the 14th rated player. That's why trade downs happen. And trade downs are what the bills should be focusing on anyway. They need a many picks as possible.

So what you're saying is the 5th rated guy would be the best available player and you wouldn't take the 14th rated guy at 5. You would trade down. Thank you for arguing the same point I am. 

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

So what you're saying is the 5th rated guy would be the best available player and you wouldn't take the 14th rated guy at 5. You would trade down. Thank you for arguing the same point I am. 

I don’t think trade downs should always happen; sometimes it’s best to go for the lower-rated but still very good player if you feel like you’re that one position away from having an elite team (not the norm, to be sure). It’s just that the Bills have so many needs on offense, and the more picks you have, the better the chances that more will pan out. https://www.nber.org/papers/w11270

With Haskins surely gone by the time we pick, it already seems like a real key is if someone like the Jags or the Dolphins / Broncos (in a trade up) talk themselves into Lock or Jones in the top 8.

#9 feels too rich to take WR given the talent distribution in this class.  Outside of maybe Jonah Williams (or Little / Taylor) coming in as a Day 1 starter at LT/RT, it feels like we just need to use the pick on the BPA defensive lineman and rebuild the O with the rest of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

2018: SF- Mike McGlinchey, T, Notre Dame

2017: CIN- John Ross, WR, Washington

2016: CHI- Leonard Floyd, LB, Georgia

2015: NYG- Ereck Flowers, T, Miami

2014: MIN- Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA

2013: NYJ- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

2012: CAR- Luke Kueckly, LB, BC

2011: DAL- Tyron Smith, T, USC

2010: BUF- CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson

2009: GB- BJ Raji, DT, BC

2019:  BUF - D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t think trade downs should always happen; sometimes it’s best to go for the lower-rated but still very good player if you feel like you’re that one position away from having an elite team (not the norm, to be sure). It’s just that the Bills have so many needs on offense, and the more picks you have, the better the chances that more will pan out. https://www.nber.org/papers/w11270

With the cap space and plenty of picks already, I'd entertain trading up for impact.

Not saying that's the path we should take at this point but one that should be considered.

• Like (+1) 1

We need a wr with size.  A big catch radius guy would mesh well with Allens style.   Think about it.  Allen has accuracy issues.  The best part of his game is buying time and heaving it down field.  We need a guy who can jump up and catch contested balls, WHILE COVERED.  

A guy like Mike Evans.  I wonder if he is available to trade?