NY Governor: Legalize recreational marijuana in NY state in 2019

BillsFan4

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have no clue what this millennial crap they call CBD oil is.  But I can say that I had smoked "hash oil" back in the 80's. 

People can mock pot smokers all they want.  If you post out of ignorance of what it actually does .....  welp  you have to ask ... who's the dumb one.

I smoked like a fiend in HS when I was running Track and Cross Country and I was on the All Star team.  

I worked my way up to become an Engineer and now the work that I do services millions if not billions of people on Earth.  (Satellite Communications)

Hell, I also was part of a start up company to build up High Speed Fiber Optic platforms (that Nortel acquired) that you use daily to post on the internet and look at the Would Ya women and more.   

You're welcome.  

What I am implying is that people have been ostracizing pot for well over 60 years. and they are still wrong. 

Are you sure that those memories are real?

• Haha (+1) 2

why do i love that people are actually nervous about this?  good for ny.  it will be something they finally do right.  we knew it was going to happen after the report came out, so bring it on.  everyone else will just have to figure out how to live their lives in this new, scary world.  sack up.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Are you sure that those memories are real?

most of them are.  lol.

During track I would quit cigarettes but not the dope.     

the bong helped expand the lungs for breathing in more oxygen   ;)  ;)  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

4 hours ago, teef said:

why do i love that people are actually nervous about this?  good for ny.  it will be something they finally do right.  we knew it was going to happen after the report came out, so bring it on.  everyone else will just have to figure out how to live their lives in this new, scary world.  sack up.  

Either you are e.e. cummings or the pot has made you forget how to capitalize.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, Boyst62 said:

I wonder what the world would be liked if potheads cared as much about others as they do about getting themselves high.

Woof the ignorance is astounding.  boyst what pothead hurt you?  Pot isn't the devil and people that use it aren't either.  Many many many people in human services use weed as a nice way to relax after a long day of helping people.  Lots of veterans are using it for a multitude of reasons.  There are many functional, respectable, caring people that use marijuana.  I'm sure you love when people generalize gun owners right?  I wonder what the world would be like if gun owners cared as much about keeping guns away from the wrong people as they do about keeping their own guns.  See how this works?

On 12/18/2018 at 4:30 PM, DC Tom said:

"You need to meet the extreme outliers, not the vast majority of potheads who are too stoned out of their minds to hold a coherent conversation."

Again: the single biggest argument against the legalization of pot is the ineffable dopiness of the stoners arguing for it.

No the single biggest argument against legalization is the fact that it is illegal.  That's it.  The government says its bad so it must be bad.  That is the argument that gets trotted out whenever I have this discussion and it is asinine.  You know as well as I do that the gov't has no idea what is best and makes many dumb decisions regularly.  Sure though, lets just say stoners are dopey and be done with it :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, section122 said:

Woof the ignorance is astounding.  boyst what pothead hurt you?  Pot isn't the devil and people that use it aren't either.  Many many many people in human services use weed as a nice way to relax after a long day of helping people.  Lots of veterans are using it for a multitude of reasons.  There are many functional, respectable, caring people that use marijuana.  I'm sure you love when people generalize gun owners right?  I wonder what the world would be like if gun owners cared as much about keeping guns away from the wrong people as they do about keeping their own guns.  See how this works?

No the single biggest argument against legalization is the fact that it is illegal.  That's it.  The government says its bad so it must be bad.  That is the argument that gets trotted out whenever I have this discussion and it is asinine.  You know as well as I do that the gov't has no idea what is best and makes many dumb decisions regularly.  Sure though, lets just say stoners are dopey and be done with it :rolleyes:

The stoners are dopey, which belies the idea that pot is harmless.  That's more than enough's reason for anyone who's...y'know...not stoned.

40 minutes ago, section122 said:

I have two questions for you:

1. Do you live in Michigan?

Is your name Bob?

4 hours ago, section122 said:

For for legalizatoon but I'm for honesty. Admit you just want weed to get high and I'm ok. Throwing it in my face that you want it to fix your back ache or headache or other ridiculous ***** is stupid.  Telling people you give your 6 years old canibis oil to help them relax at bed time and it's all natural is even more stupid.  People are stupid it my point.

Gun owners generally don't lie, that argument isn't even worth bringing up. Gun owners want guns for whatever right they want and it's a right protected by the Constitution. 

• Like (+1) 1

Somewhat related.......................Albany wants the taxes.

IF IT FEELS GOOD, TAX IT: Federal Judge Strikes Down New York Tax on Opioid Industry.

A federal judge struck down Wednesday a New York law that aimed to collect $600 million from the pharmaceutical industry to help combat the opioid crisis, a ruling that could shape opioid legislation being weighed in other states.

U.S. District Judge Katherine Polk Failla in Manhattan called the novel law an unconstitutional regulatory penalty on the makers and distributors of opioid painkillers, even as she acknowledged the validity of trying to legislate a solution to the epidemic gripping the nation.

The ruling comes days before a deadline set by New York’s health department to pay the first installment of the levy. Under the Opioid Stewardship Act, $100 million was set to be collectively paid each year for six years by companies that sold or distributed opioids in the state. The first round of bills, retroactive to 2017, were sent to 75 companies and their subsidiaries in November.

This country has a real opioid problem, but this “tax” like nothing more than an attempting mugging by Albany.

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Somewhat related.......................Albany wants the taxes.

IF IT FEELS GOOD, TAX IT: Federal Judge Strikes Down New York Tax on Opioid Industry.

A federal judge struck down Wednesday a New York law that aimed to collect $600 million from the pharmaceutical industry to help combat the opioid crisis, a ruling that could shape opioid legislation being weighed in other states.

U.S. District Judge Katherine Polk Failla in Manhattan called the novel law an unconstitutional regulatory penalty on the makers and distributors of opioid painkillers, even as she acknowledged the validity of trying to legislate a solution to the epidemic gripping the nation.

The ruling comes days before a deadline set by New York’s health department to pay the first installment of the levy. Under the Opioid Stewardship Act, $100 million was set to be collectively paid each year for six years by companies that sold or distributed opioids in the state. The first round of bills, retroactive to 2017, were sent to 75 companies and their subsidiaries in November.

This country has a real opioid problem, but this “tax” like nothing more than an attempting mugging by Albany.

C'mon man, at least 50 cents of that $600,000,000 projected tax revenue would have gone towards combating addiction!

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

All I have to say is I can drink 12 beers and work at home in the kitchen without incident.  Take a small toke of weed and I chop my ***** finger off.  ?

Ah, so that's why they call you 'Stumpy'?

• 4 weeks later...

Cannabis Campus planned for Buffalo, could bring more than 500 jobs

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Buffalo Urban Development Corporation (BUDC) has voted unanimously to sell land in the Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park to Flora California Prime Inc. (Flora), a health and wellness space based in San Diego with operations throughout California and offices in Buffalo.

Designated New York State Build-Now Shovel Ready Certified Site, Flora has plans to use the 47 acre plot of land for a $200 million high-tech Cannabis Campus which could bring 500 to 1,000 jobs to Buffalo.

</snip>

On 12/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Meet the world's dumbest Republican.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20181020/sununu-opposes-marijuana-legalization

Edited December 17, 2018 by PromoTheRobot

Republicans are so dumb. They could make a killing if they came out in favor of legal weed as a freedom/get the government out of your bedroom/anti-nanny-state issue.  Supposedly that's what they believe, right?

https://www.buffalorising.com/2019/01/high-tech-cannabis-company-green-lighted-for-buffalo-lakeside-commerce-park/

All contingent with New York approving full legalization.

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Republicans are so dumb. They could make a killing if they came out in favor of legal weed as a freedom/get the government out of your bedroom/anti-nanny-state issue.  Supposedly that's what they believe, right?

Only with stuff they want. Otherwise they are up your ass with rules and prohibitions.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.buffalorising.com/2019/01/high-tech-cannabis-company-green-lighted-for-buffalo-lakeside-commerce-park/

All contingent with New York approving full legalization.

Only with stuff they want. Otherwise they are up your ass with rules and prohibitions.

This is a ridiculous statement. Are you unfamiliar with the Trump administration's efforts (and positive results) to get rid of regulations? The only way you could possibly say something like this is if you are being purposely disingenuous. Why are you makingshitup?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

How does legalize it, regulate and tax the ***** out of it reduce the nanny-state?? 

Edited by Chef Jim

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cannabis Campus planned for Buffalo, could bring more than 500 jobs

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Buffalo Urban Development Corporation (BUDC) has voted unanimously to sell land in the Buffalo Lakeside Commerce Park to Flora California Prime Inc. (Flora), a health and wellness space based in San Diego with operations throughout California and offices in Buffalo.

Designated New York State Build-Now Shovel Ready Certified Site, Flora has plans to use the 47 acre plot of land for a $200 million high-tech Cannabis Campus which could bring 500 to 1,000 jobs to Buffalo.

</snip>

Meh.  Have to see what form this takes when finalized.  Could be just a grab for government money without a chance of any benefit for the public in general.  Also, if this is just an attempt to ramp up localized production then I will express my doubts as to success.  Those not familiar with economics and in particular commodity trading will not see that the state cannot control production.  The reason being is MJ will grow just about anyplace corn will grow which can be done in many places in New York and outside of New York.  Don't matter what type of restrictions are placed on non-New York produced pot as consumers will seek out the least expensive options.  Some states have talked about having licensing to grow MJ but all that amounts to is a revenue stream for the state without really controlling the overall supply.  

Edited by RochesterRob

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How does legalize it, regulate and tax the ***** out of reduce the nanny-state?? 

NYS will need to add about 15 different agencies, staffed by 20-45 employees per, beset by multiple redundancies while providing cradle to grave entitlements to get out of people's business.  Very liberating. 

Pot has been legal here ( Washington State) for quite some time ( 2012 ).....I don't smoke it myself, but know several people who do.....I don't think it changed a lot of things as far of quantity used.......when it 1st became legal, you probably had an increase of usage just for the novelty..... my pot smoking friends do complain about the legal weed being more expensive, but in general, they also say that the quality has improved.......I really don't see it as a big deal.....I see pot the same way I see booze....from what I hear however, you don't such a hangover after a night of smoking....maybe I should look into it.....

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Pot has been legal here ( Washington State) for quite some time ( 2012 ).....I don't smoke it myself, but know several people who do.....I don't think it changed a lot of things as far of quantity used.......when it 1st became legal, you probably had an increase of usage just for the novelty..... my pot smoking friends do complain about the legal weed being more expensive, but in general, they also say that the quality has improved.......I really don't see it as a big deal.....I see pot the same way I see booze....from what I hear however, you don't such a hangover after a night of smoking....maybe I should look into it.....

with the new found legality of it, who anyone would continue to buy it is astounding to me.

it grows like weed.....

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Foxx said:

with the new found legality of it, who anyone would continue to buy it is astounding to me.

it grows like weed.....

Depends on what the state laws are.  Legal does not mean it is legal to grow unless the state encodes it.  This is not about personal liberty for Cuomo but in part about a revenue stream of which home grown does not provide.  If there is a provision so you can grow your own don't be surprised if you have to pay some kind of tax or fee to do so.  Also, as most people do not grow the vegetables they eat they will also not cultivate the MJ they use.

I'm with Iron Maiden. We purchase it occasionally, mostly for medical use.  First time I went into a store I was completely impressed at the range of products and the knowledge of the people who work there.  Tell them what you need it for - everything from pain to just wanna get high - and they can made spot-on recommendations. Yep it's a lot more expensive than the illegal stuff but it's pure and not loaded with stems and seeds. You don't need much. 

I had a visitor from Rochester here who wanted to see a pot store.  Went into one down near the Port Angeles waterfront. I knew the expectation was a smelly, smoky place full of wild-eyes hippies with crazy hair, LOL.  I had to laugh at the disappointment.

I have friends who grow it and there are new jobs in old mill towns due to it.  Other than that I can say that it hasn't disrupted anything here in WA that I've seen. 

The real fights are coming from pharma and other corporations who want in on the action.  No surprise that Constellation Brands has jumped in.  

Edited by blzrul
the quote didn't show up boo.
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Depends on what the state laws are.  Legal does not mean it is legal to grow unless the state encodes it.  This is not about personal liberty for Cuomo but in part about a revenue stream of which home grown does not provide.  If there is a provision so you can grow your own don't be surprised if you have to pay some kind of tax or fee to do so.  Also, as most people do not grow the vegetables they eat they will also not cultivate the MJ they use.

Here in CA you can legally grow 12 plants with a max of 6 mature ones. I was going to say I know of no one who grows it but my neighbor had a few on his balcony. Reeked to high (no pun intended) heaven. If I had the space I’d probably grow some. I love gardening. But it’s so easy to have it delivered to my door. By a hot chick to boot. 

My stance on it is this: The United States Constitution does NOT give congress or any agency the authority to arbitrarily make a non-lethal, municipal, flower illegal. Therefore, the prohibition on marijuana is illegal and not a law that I bother to acknowledge. 

If the crime is victimless there's no crime.   

My weed and my guns: Molon Labe

Edited by The_Dude
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Here in CA you can legally grow 12 plants with a max of 6 mature ones. I was going to say I know of no one who grows it but my neighbor had a few on his balcony. Reeked to high (no pun intended) heaven. If I had the space I’d probably grow some. I love gardening. But it’s so easy to have it delivered to my door. By a hot chick to boot. 

Outside of the cost savings, I'm not sure why anyone would want to grow it, let alone smoke the actual weed any more. They've got this down to a concentrate that you vape.

Wifey uses it for migraines, and hated everything she had to do to eliminate the odor from wafting around and sticking to her clothes. The oils changed everything. No smell. No seeds. No skunk. No roaches or bowls or bongs or papers. 

25 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Outside of the cost savings, I'm not sure why anyone would want to grow it, let alone smoke the actual weed any more. They've got this down to a concentrate that you vape.

Wifey uses it for migraines, and hated everything she had to do to eliminate the odor from wafting around and sticking to her clothes. The oils changed everything. No smell. No seeds. No skunk. No roaches or bowls or bongs or papers. 

Dude the flower lasts longer for me. Though I’ve never tried dabs/wax. But the oil concentrates are pretty cool but they don’t last all that long. 

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

NYS will need to add about 15 different agencies, staffed by 20-45 employees per, beset by multiple redundancies while providing cradle to grave entitlements to get out of people's business.  Very liberating. 

maybe it's just me, it seems that not locking people for doing something they're gonna do anyway and hurts no-one else is pretty liberating.

I've been thinking about it, but am having a hard time thinking is any product that is not overly regulated. Food? Ladders? Baby pajamas? Automobiles?  Beer? (Ever heard of the ATF?)  Wood?  Furnitue? Smart phones? Paint?

Would you be okay making the alcohol industry illegal because of too much regulation?  We tried that once.

29 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

maybe it's just me, it seems that not locking people for doing something they're gonna do anyway and hurts no-one else is pretty liberating.

I've been thinking about it, but am having a hard time thinking is any product that is not overly regulated. Food? Ladders? Baby pajamas? Automobiles?  Beer? (Ever heard of the ATF?)  Wood?  Furnitue? Smart phones? Paint?

Would you be okay making the alcohol industry illegal because of too much regulation?  We tried that once.

Women: ‘Give us the vote! We’re smart enough to have our say!’

Men: ‘No. you’ll screw it up.’

Women: ‘GIVE US THE VOTE!’

Men: ‘No!’

Women: ‘GIVE US THE VOTE. Otherwise we’ll keep being obnoxious.’

Men: ? ‘fine.’

Women: ‘......now that we have the vote, we don’t think you guys should drink anymore. That way you have more time to listen to us.’

Then everything started going to *****. 

Edited by The_Dude
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I've heard of the ATF, and one time I was outside in my baby pajamas eating chicken wings and drinking beer while climbing my ladder to paint the wood trim on my house.  I took a selfie and can prove it.  But that's not really the point, is it?

my response was in regards to the narrative that republicans want to control people's lives but that legalizing/regulating marijuana is liberating us all from the nanny state. Chef Jim was more direct and 100% correct. 

For what it's worth, while I don't believe the narrative that smoking weed is harmless, when NY sorts this all out I've pretty much decided that I'm back in again for recreational use.  I've long believed I'd much rather see my children smoke marijuana than fire down shots of Shnumpernagelz or whatever is the hot shot today.  

And, no sir, I am NOT spearheading a movement to return to Prohibition!  

Respectfully,

Freddy's Special 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Women: ‘Guve ya the vote! We’re smart enough to have our say!’

Men: ‘No. you’ll screw it up.’

Women: ‘GIVE US THE VOTE!’

Men: ‘No!’

Women: ‘GIVE US THE VOTE. Otherwise we’ll keep being obnoxious.’

Men: ? ‘fine.’

Women: ‘......now that we have the vote, we don’t think you guys should drink anymore. That way you have more time to listen to us.’

Then everything started going to *****. 

i will a acknowledge that women were the driving force behind prohibition and a woman was even  in charge of it once passed, but I won't go that far LOL.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

i will a acknowledge that women were the driving force behind prohibition and a woman was even  in charge of it once passed, but I won't go that far LOL.

I want my own tv show....

”History According to the Dude”

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

my response was in regards to the narrative that republicans want to control people's lives but that legalizing/regulating marijuana is liberating us all from the nanny state. Chef Jim was more direct and 100% correct. 

I see your point.  

When I think of the nanny-state I think of the government telling you can't do something and punishing you for it if you do because they say its bad for you.  They removed locking you up for it. May be over regulated. But I see it as an improvement.

No different than alcohol ? really. It's taxed. When you go to the store it's labeled as to alcohol ? by content and you can count on if it says it is 40 oz it is 40 oz. You're not gonna walk out with 40 proof wood alcohol.

You'll see when it becomes legal in NY.

Edited by reddogblitz