The Trump Shutdown

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

If I'm Pelosi I say make the DACA kids amnesty permanent and you have a deal.  

You boys are stone cold dreaming if you thing the GOP is going to agree to permanent amnesty.....

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Is she losing?  Not being a smartass, I just find that hard to believe.

Left is left, right is right, and everyone in the middle is shaking their heads uttering ***** politicians. 

The only way one side or the other can win is to win the public relations battle. I don't see Pelosi or Schumer beating Trump if Trump plays it smart. He's gotta continue to use the Bully Pulpit and take his case to the people, all while showing he's the one that will work with the other side.

Pelosi has already succumbed to the left fringe of her party. She allowed them to make her take a stand that is only palatable to them, not the more moderate dems. She's in a similar position as John Boehner was with the Freedom Caucus.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This is accurate... but there are plenty in the middle starting to see one side is willing to compromise and the other will not. 

Once it becomes clear to the non partisans that one side is being purely political (which is all the DNC is doing right now), they'll lose support fast. 

Fair. In my view, it’s two experienced pros doing battle at the country’s expense. Great entertainment value but does this change anything come Election Day?

Both sides are so entrenched,  this isn’t swaying a percentage of those votes. The middle knows Trump needs his wall for his base and the Dems need not vote on it for theirs.

Seems like all the entertainment ultimately ends up as a wash for both sides. 

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Fair. In my view, it’s two experienced pros doing battle at the country’s expense. Great entertainment value but does this change anything come Election Day?

Both sides are so entrenched,  this isn’t swaying a percentage of those votes. The middle knows Trump needs his wall for his base and the Dems need not vote on it for theirs.

Seems like all the entertainment ultimately ends up as a wash for both sides. 

Trump needs to use the Bully Pulpit to convince people that a wall is necessary, not for his political purposes but for real security and prevention of child sex slavery. Nancy can't show that her stance is anything but for political purposes. Nancy can't win the battle for public opinion but Trump can if he plays it right.

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

NON! Tu es!

Heavy sigh. Explain. 

Going to the mattresses-GTTM means button men going to a place other than their home ready to receive a call to go to the other mobster's territory and kill other mobsters, or disrupt their business or both. GTTM is like saying going to your barrack like in the army ready to go to war. The literally GTTM means a house or apartment with a bunch of mattresses on the floor, a bathroom, and a kitchen where probably 8-12 button men lived during the mob war.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-phrase-Going-to-the-mattresses-from-the-Godfather-movie-mean

That'll be $10 please.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Going to the mattresses-GTTM means button men going to a place other than their home ready to receive a call to go to the other mobster's territory and kill other mobsters, or disrupt their business or both. GTTM is like saying going to your barrack like in the army ready to go to war. The literally GTTM means a house or apartment with a bunch of mattresses on the floor, a bathroom, and a kitchen where probably 8-12 button men lived during the mob war.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-phrase-Going-to-the-mattresses-from-the-Godfather-movie-mean

That'll be $10 please.

Huh....I love The Godfather and do not remember that. 

If I may make a suggestion if you like The Godfather — give Peaky Blinders on Netflix a shot. IMHO, it’s better than The Godfather. 

17 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Seems to me that Obama was the one that was too ***** lazy to deal with DACA and settled for an unconstitutional EO. Trump merely wants to permanently solve a problem both with DACA and the border.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

If I'm Pelosi I say make the DACA kids amnesty permanent and you have a deal.  

And if I'm Trump I reply "Are you ***** kidding me?  That requires legislation.  That's YOUR job."

25 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

What an #######.  There are no "DACA protections."  Because it's nothing more than a memo (not even an EO) advising immigration crimes not be prosecuted.  That's not "protection."

He, and Pelosi, should grow up and counter with "Support passing DACA into law, and we'll give you half the funding for your wall."

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Huh....I love The Godfather and do not remember that. 

3b8.gif

10 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

If I may make a suggestion if you like The Godfather — give Peaky Blinders on Netflix a shot. IMHO, it’s better than The Godfather. 

I don't know if I'd go so far as to claim Peaky Blinders is better than The Godfather.  But Peaky Blinders is still f**king awesome :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

She is the fringe left.

No, she used to be the fringe left. She's now being led around by a Millennial who can't afford to live in DC, dances like she's on Ecstasy and swears that they're going to take over all three "chambers". Oh, and she wants that 21 trillion that's missing from the DOD and a 70% tax rate to fund 3.2 trillion a year in Medicare benefits for everyone.

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

3b8.gif

I don't know if I'd go so far as to claim Peaky Blinders is better than The Godfather.  But Peaky Blinders is still f**king awesome :thumbsup:

Bar none — the best crime drama ever. 

Im obsessed with WWI which makes me appreciate that show a bit more. 

37 minutes ago, TH3 said:

You boys are stone cold dreaming if you thing the GOP is going to agree to permanent amnesty.....

Most of America would oppose permanent amnesty as well, even a large number (if not the majority) of Democrats.  Maybe not the ideologues in DC, on TV, or in Academia, but the Democrats in flyover country

Trump has given Nancy a way out to show she can be bipartisan rather than succumb to the fringe of her caucus

Just now, The_Dude said:

Bar none — the best crime drama ever. 

Im obsessed with WWI which makes me appreciate that show a bit more. 

What are your thoughts on Boardwalk Empire?

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Most of America would oppose permanent amnesty as well, even a large number (if not the majority) of Democrats.  Maybe not the ideologues in DC, on TV, or in Academia, but the Democrats in flyover country

Trump has given Nancy a way out to show she can be bipartisan rather than succumb to the fringe of her caucus

LOVED Boardwalk. Hated the final season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

I said it's what she should offer with most of the public in favor of it anyways as far as the DACA kids/young adults go.

Edited by Doc Brown

17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Boardwalk Empire was great but did fall off at the end. A lot of shows get away from their roots after several seasons and lose their audiences because of it. Ray Donovan started to do that last year and early this year with flashbacks, but I think they've righted themselves.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Boardwalk Empire was great but did fall off at the end. A lot of shows get away from their roots after several seasons and lose their audiences because of it. Ray Donovan started to do that last year and early this year with flashbacks, but I think they've righted themselves.

It just seemed like Buscemi said ‘I’m out’ and they didn’t know how to end it. 

The dynamics are different this term what with all the changes. Last term the R's held the House and were split with the more moderate being able to accept some sort of amnesty while the conservatives didn't want any part of it. They both could have agreed on a wall. The D's on the other hand wouldn't cooperate with the R's. This term the D's could get some sort of amnesty passed but don't want the wall. Nothing is going to get agreed to without Nancy casting aside the left by agreeing to a wall.

28 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

It just seemed like Buscemi said ‘I’m out’ and they didn’t know how to end it. 

Boardwalk Empire should have ended the Buscemi / Nucky storyline after Season 4 and spun the series off into either a Capone / Van Alden / Eli series or a Lucky Luciano / Meyer Lansky series

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Was that Nancy Pelosi running around Atlanta Airport naked offering to give every man head?

She wanted to reduce the waiting time so she emptied the airport. With that said I'm a little embarrassed to be responding to your tacky post.

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

They had to quickly kill off the second leading man at the end of the first season, and Steve B isn’t honestly a leading man.

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The dynamics are different this term what with all the changes. Last term the R's held the House and were split with the more moderate being able to accept some sort of amnesty while the conservatives didn't want any part of it. They both could have agreed on a wall. The D's on the other hand wouldn't cooperate with the R's. This term the D's could get some sort of amnesty passed but don't want the wall. Nothing is going to get agreed to without Nancy casting aside the left by agreeing to a wall.

Trump and Pelosi aren't good negotiators.  Trump didn't do himself any favors in the court of public opinion clearly changing his mind at the last second on not signing the bill and then saying he'd take the blame for the shutdown in front of the cameras.  Meanwhile, Pelosi calls the wall "immoral" and therefore any compromise that includes wall funding makes her commit an immoral act according to her definition.

One thing I liked about Trump's speech today is he finally gave a little clarification that it wouldn't be one continuous wall/barrier along the Mexican border.  It might convince some people that there tax money won't be wasted on an ineffective and expensive project that's unlikely to be completed.

UNEXPECTEDLY: Democrats Immediately Reject Trump’s Offer to End Shutdown.

This is a wise sentence, from @jpodhoretz:

"The discredited BuzzFeed story advances the dreadful case that there is no truth -- that there are only agendas."

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/the-buzzfeed-story/ …

623874f3299de02dd284ce7af7ba8ad8a3dc2085