The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh gawd 

We have federal workers not getting paid and nasty Pelosi was taking her entire family on a vacation using tax payers money?

She calls a wall immoral?????

She needs to go. Send her and chucky boy back to whatever hole they clinbed out of!

• Like (+1) 2

Once again, for the simpletons here: The wall is not intended to prevent someone from ever getting across, under or over it. It is not a prison wall. It is intended to slow down or impair those that want to come into our country long enough for border agents to prevent them from doing so. Idiots who keep finding reasons that the wall won't work are just blowing smoke out of their reptilian ass.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Sounds like someone trying to flee the country. 

Iv'e seen some chatter about it possibly being related to the foiled planned attack on the White House on that same day.

Have you heard anything along these lines that you are willing to share? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why Democrats Said No to Trump’s Border Compromise

By John Fund

Lots of people are wondering just why Democrats rejected President Trump’s plan to reopen government agencies even before he announced the plan. House speaker Nancy Pelosi called it a “non-starter,” and Senate Democratic whip Dick Durbin rejected it even though, as the Daily Caller noted, Trump’s proposal to protect immigrant “Dreamers” from being deported “included everything” that Durbin had asked for “just over two years ago.”

The Washington Post editorial page, normally one of Trump’s harshest critics, was puzzled by the Democratic intransigence:

To refuse even to talk until the government reopens does no favors to sidelined federal workers and contractors. . . . A measure of statesmanship for a member of Congress now is the ability to accept some disappointments, and shrug off the inevitable attacks from purists, if it means rescuing the lives of thousands of deserving people living among us.

So why are Democrats so dug in? GOP congressman Peter King, who is frequently critical of Trump, says it’s because the issue of a border wall is secondary to their hatred of Trump. “The fear is, among the Democratic leadership, if they make any agreement with President Trump, it’s like compromising with the devil,” he told New York radio station AM970.

In other words, when Democrats now hear talk of “border security,” they think only of Trump and want to make sure that their base won’t see them as surrendering to him in any way. Forget the fact that Democrats have voted for a border barrier in the past and that the $5.7 billion Trump wants is meant only for stretches that U.S. Border Patrol officials have identified as needing barriers to interdict illegal entrants and drugs.

The Democrats seem have to been captured by the thinking of radical community organizer Saul Alinsky. The author of Rules for Radicals, Alinsky inspired both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. He used to tell his protégés that “the issue is never the issue.” As historian David Horowitz notes

The cause of a political action — whether civil rights or women’s rights — is never the real cause; women, blacks, and other “victims” are only instruments in the larger cause, which is power.

More at the link:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Thumbnail

I'm just wondering...

7 Dums

+ 86 "Family" members i.e., >12 per Dummy

= 93.

"93 Military & Secret Service people" 

Hmmmm. 

1:1 ratio, or was it a mistake in the # of "family" they wanted to tag along? 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

It's normal to travel on official congressional business with 80+ "family members"? 

Good lord, I hope that's not true. But it probably is.

Those numbers are probably high (186 people, total, on a junket?  Only if they're flying in multiple planes or a freight hauler - there's not a single VIP transport in the Air Force that'll carry that many, not even a VC-25A.)  But yes, they often bring family along.  It's a rare "fact-finding tour" that isn't a family vacation.

5 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I'm just wondering...

7 Dums

+ 86 "Family" members i.e., >12 per Dummy

= 93.

"93 Military & Secret Service people" 

Hmmmm. 

1:1 ratio, or was it a mistake in the # of "family" they wanted to tag along? 

And who's getting Secret Service protection?  Congress, including the Speaker, gets their protection from the Capitol Police.

Pretty sure that tweet's bull####.

You want a vanity wall for Trump that is useless, but I'm the idiot? Whatever 

Gleeful Gator, you ignorant slut. You got someone to say they like you, probably for the first time in your life and you give them a hard time? Tsk, tsk.

• Haha (+1) 1

the reason why i called you an idiot is because you seem to think a hacksaw and chisel will cut an opening large enough in the wall for illegals to slip through. while it could be done, it would require quite a lot of effort to do so, not as simple as you are trying to portray it as.

but, whatever. lol.

Believe it or not, which you won't, that wall is for you too. Those who don't realize that are simply too far gone. It might not even be your own fault, as some are much easier to manipulate through the constant bombarding of the MSM throughout the years and it has been happening for your entire life.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Sounds like it is BS. 

Agreed on the family junket/vacations though. It's been going on forever. 

Multiple planes with some of the people staying in Brussels. Who the hell would want to go to Afghanistan on vacation?

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's normal to travel on official congressional business with 80+ "family members"? 

Good lord, I hope that's not true. But it probably is.

Why do you think the air force has luxury planes? For service men and women!? It is for political junkets - including family members. The Brussels stop was probably to off-load most of them to shop and take a train south. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

the reason why i called you an idiot is because you seem to think a hacksaw and chisel will cut an opening large enough in the wall for illegals to slip through. while it could be done, it would require quite a lot of effort to do so, not as simple as you are trying to portray it as.

but, whatever. lol.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856

There would be holes all over the stupid thing. They'd spend more money fixing it than building it! And Mexico still wouldn't pay for it. 

It's a vanity wall. It's stupid, useless, expensive and not necessary. 

7 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Believe it or not, which you won't, that wall is for you too. Those who don't realize that are simply too far gone. It might not even be your own fault, as some are much easier to manipulate through the constant bombarding of the MSM throughout the years and it has been happening for your entire life.

To save me? From? I'm not afraid of immigrants, I would welcome more in. I think immigrants are better people than many of those already here. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Why do you think the air force has luxury planes? For service men and women!? It is for political junkets - including family members. The Brussels stop was probably to off-load most of them to shop and take a train south. 

Flag officers and theater commanders use them, too.  DoD has about 25 business class 737s, which is what Congress would likely use.  Maybe four of them are available at Andrews.

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856

There would be holes all over the stupid thing. They'd spend more money fixing it than building it! And Mexico still wouldn't pay for it. 

i have debunked this article before, Tibs. look at that picture, that was not done with a hacksaw, a torch was used. look at the slag on the slats.

come on, your better than this, at least have a leg to stand on in your argument. when you are this easily destroyed, you look nothing but foolish.

Edited by Foxx

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

To save me? From? I'm not afraid of immigrants, I would welcome more in. I think immigrants are better people than many of those already here. 

I presume you are comparing them to yourself?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

I presume you are comparing them to yourself?

I was thinking more of red necks 

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i have debunked this article before, Tibs. look at that picture, that was not done with a hacksaw, a torch was used. look at the slag on the slats.

come on, your better than this, at least have a leg to stand on in your argument. when you are this easily destroyed, you look nothing but foolish.

A blow torch? So? You are admitting any clown with a blow torch can cut this thing all up. Thanks! 

20 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Those numbers are probably high (186 people, total, on a junket?  Only if they're flying in multiple planes or a freight hauler - there's not a single VIP transport in the Air Force that'll carry that many, not even a VC-25A.)  But yes, they often bring family along.  It's a rare "fact-finding tour" that isn't a family vacation.

And who's getting Secret Service protection?  Congress, including the Speaker, gets their protection from the Capitol Police.

Pretty sure that tweet's bull####.

I believe that the Speaker of the House now receives Secret Service protection. So that number of 93 might have been mostly military but some SS.

Good to see that in poll after poll Trump is losing support as this shut down drags on and on. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/17/trump-loses-support-among-core-voters-as-the-shutdown-drags-on-polls.html

Trump loses support among his core voting groups as the shutdown drags on, polls say

• President Trump is hemorrhaging support amid a political standoff over his proposed border wall that has resulted in the longest government shutdown on record, recent polls show.
  • The president even appears to be losing favor with his core constituents.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

but, whatever. lol.

Well, if wall testers with unlimited time, resources, and no worries about being caught can do it, that means that migrants and drug runners with limited resources and a high likelihood of being caught can too!

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

DpQUTLKU0AAymeW.jpg

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I believe that the Speaker of the House now receives Secret Service protection. So that number of 93 might have been mostly military but some SS.

I thought so too, but I did some digging, and everything I found said otherwise.

43 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I thought so too, but I did some digging, and everything I found said otherwise.

I Googled it and found some that said the Speaker got SS protection and some that said the Speaker did not. It seems that it is not automatic but it has to be requested.

It's just that a wall is such a sophomoric attempt to curb the immigration problem in the county.  I have the opposite stance on immigration than trump, but if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be gunning for a wall.  

Edited by Crayola64

45 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

It's just that a wall is such a sophomoric attempt to curb the immigration problem in the county.  I have the opposite stance on immigration than trump, but if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't be gunning for a wall.  

The building of wall segments, recommended by 87% of Border Patrol agents (the subject matter experts), in an effort to reroute slavers and child sex traffickers to areas more easily patrolled is sophomoric?

And if your stance is the opposite of the President's, does that mean you believe unfettered human slavery, the heroine trade, child molesting and rape, and a lack of national sovereignty are good things?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

The building of wall segments, recommended by 87% of Border Patrol agents (the subject matter experts), in an effort to reroute slavers and child sex traffickers to areas more easily patrolled is sophomoric.

And if your stance is the opposite of the President's, does that mean you believe unfettered human slavery, the heroine trade, child molesting and rape, and a lack of national sovereignty are good things?

I wouldn't argue against the fact that some walls and physical barriers would be effective.  But what is it, 6 billion dollars worth?  That is sophomoric and I would put the money towards other immigration-related expenses. 

As to your second sentence, whatever you say (I don't think you are trying to have a conversation with that). I am just saying that my immigration stance would be considered opposite of trump.  I believe in a vast expansion of asylum immigration, pro-DACA, and believe in a reasonable and easily obtainable path towards legal immigration.  

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

I wouldn't argue against the fact that some walls and physical barriers would be effective.  But what is it, 6 billion dollars worth?  That is sophomoric and I would put the money towards other immigration-related expenses. 

As to your second sentence, whatever you say (I don't think you are trying to have a conversation with that). I am just saying that my immigration stance would be considered opposite of trump.  I believe in a vast expansion of asylum immigration, pro-DACA, and believe in a reasonable and easily obtainable path towards legal immigration.  

6 billions dollars out of a federal budget of 4.4 trillion for a permanent (partial) solution, which will still be in place when there is a new Congress, a new President, and an economic downturn; all of which can impact staffing levels and immigration policy.  That's not sophomoric, that's forward thinking and problem solving.

As to DACA, that's the role of Congress to address; the President is trying to force Congress to do their job, and legislate.  For his part the President has put DACA on the table, and would sign legislation towards those ends as part of a compromise for wall funding.

As to "a vast expansion of asylum immigration" and "an easily obtainable path to citizenship", to what ends?  How does this benefit Americans?

7 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

6 billions dollars out of a federal budget of 4.4 trillion for a permanent (partial) solution, which will still be in place when there is a new Congress, a new President, and an economic downturn; all of which can impact staffing levels and immigration policy.  That's not sophomoric, that's forward thinking and problem solving.

A wall, in my opinion, is the equivalent of a bandaid to any immigration problem.  It is 2019, people will enter into the country in other ways (ignoring the fact that they will likely find a way to get across a wall-guarded border).  The vast majority of illegal immigrants I have come across came over in a plane.  Again, I would rather direct the money in other ways to address the border.  

7 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

As to DACA, that's the role of Congress to address; the President is trying to force Congress to do their job, and legislate.  For his part the President has put DACA on the table, and would sign legislation towards those ends as part of a compromise for wall funding.

As to "a vast expansion of asylum immigration" and "an easily obtainable path to citizenship", to what ends?  How does this benefit Americans?

I was just listing off random things to explain what I meant by opposite stance than trump on immigration (because of your immature comment about what opposite meant as if you didn't know what I was referring to...).  I am not relating these to the shutdown.  And I believe in those things because I believe it is a human right to be able to be safe and live in a different country, regardless of whether or not it benefits Americans (immigration is perhaps my most leftist view).  And I do think that those things benefit Americans by introducing new cultures and diversity.  But again, I value people more than americans.  

Edited by Crayola64

On 1/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, BigMcD said:

What a stupid comment. You have no idea what I look like. People call me BigMcD for a reason and it’s not because I am fat! 

Big dollar menu fanboy ?   You a parfait or Sunday guy ? 

10 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You guys understand they can just cut a hole through a stupid wall, right? Trump is such a monument to ignorance. Ignorance is his strength 

Cutting Steel is easy, doing other people’s laundry is easier ???