Best Christmas Present You Ever Received as a Kid?

NoHuddleKelly12

On 12/5/2018 at 6:56 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife and I have guidelines about buying Christmas presents for our two children.

Something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read.  Of course, we always throw in a couple other small gifts from their wish lists.

My favorite Christmas present from childhood was the original Nintendo.  I recall wanting it so badly.

We do the same and then some smaller stocking fillers.

I was very happy to get the Coleco "Adam" computer one year.  It took a sort of "audio cassette tape" thing as a data carrier, no floppy disk drives..and it had some very good games on it for that time period.

Coleco_Adam_(adjusted_version).jpg

On 12/4/2018 at 12:24 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Image result for atari game system

I actually still have mine. I came across it recently in an old dresser drawer in my basement. 

Found an original Nintendo too, with a box full of games. 

Didn’t set them up yet but I am planning to when I get a chance and have some free time. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The whole He-man set and castle of Gray Skull!! I was stoked .

i saw this sell for thousands on Pawn Stars and wish i had kept it :(

i received this one year too!  another year i was given the entire voltron set, and i was equally as pumped.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Image result for grease album

did your boyfriend give that to you?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

No.  My parents did.

But I once gave my boyfriend an entire Voltron set and he was pumped.

dude thats awesome, literally laughed out loud. Showed it to my wife ( who hates football and this site) and she loved it.

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You had two back runners?   

The ones I rode on had two single runners in line 

those were the best, those were the days :wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

dude thats awesome, literally laughed out loud. Showed it to my wife ( who hates football and this site) and she loved it.

those were the best, those were the days :wub:

We called it the bucking bronco.   Wild ride and it took skill to get down the hill.    

The 2 back rails would be like skiing on a bunny hill.    ;)

old-snow-racer-17836236.jpg

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a LAMP posting--but I had to share with all of you one of the all-time best gag gifts I have ever received, just this morning (I also realize this is not part of the kid friendly theme of the original posting :)), if you're a fan of the movie "Anchorman" you'll totally understand why I had to post this: 

SP.thumb.jpg.a3874f8e65f5827cf4d17bef8f59ee36.jpg

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Tickets to a Nets game.  As a kid I was real excited about seeing a pro basketball game 

I like that. A LOT! That is an experience, and not a thing. Experiences beat things almost every time. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I like that. A LOT! That is an experience, and not a thing. Experiences beat things almost every time. 

I always had fond memories of that arena even though I suppose it wasn’t considered modern even for that era.  Nothing beats the feeling of walking in seeing the court for the first time 

• Like (+1) 1

Looking back to the early 60s, Texaco gas stations sold a very detailed model of a service station, complete with miniature service islands, small oil cans, working lifts in the bays.  Texaco also one year offered a Texaco tanker, it had to be a good 18” long.  I seem to remember a working propeller, powered by a D cell battery.

I also remember receiving a hand cranked ten pin bowling game in a fairly accurate scale.  You placed a small ball in the bowler’s hand, pivoted him on his anchor to aim, and turned a lever to cause him to roll the ball.  Even more amazing was the pinsetter had its own lever; when turning it the machine cycled through its sequence of settling pins, then sweeping after the first ball, resetting for the second ball, then final sweep and reracking for a new frame.

Rather than starting a new thread, I’ll tack on the most ‘cost effective’ gift I’ve seen as a stocking stuffer.  I was pleased to see after I missed out last year, a local chapter of a service club runs a cash calendar.  For $20, you get 365 days of draws, where the smallest prize is never less than $25.  If you win, your ticket goes right back in the drum for the next day.  That’s 5.4 cents per day for a lottery ticket.  Both my son and son-in-law received one as part of their gift.  Then I bought one for myself.

• Like (+1) 1