Dispelling the notion that Allen needs to "stop running so much"

Logic

I've seen it said across a few different threads here, and from several different posters, that Allen needs to cut down on the amount that he runs the ball. I've seen a few "he's not long for this league if he does that" type comments.

I'm here to say that I completely and unequivocally disagree. He needs to learn to be more patient and let the plays develop, yes. He can naturally cut down on the amount that he NEEDS to scramble by reading the field better and going through his progressions. But even then, he should not make it a goal to limit or eliminate his scrambling. Indeed, it is precisely his otherworldly improvisatory scrambling ability that sets him apart from most other QBs in the league.

Consider this: In the Super Bowl era, Allen is the ONLY QUARTERBACK EVER to rush for 95+ yards in back-to-back games. And he did this in only the 6th and 7th games of his career. The bind that Allen puts defenses in by having such lethal running ability AND such a lethal arm is hard to overstate. If they choose not to spy him, he'll run wild. If they DO choose to spy him, he'll have extra time to find an open receiver and make the defense pay. This type of double threat is unique, rare, and is what will make Allen a successful QB in this league for a long time.

And as to the notion that he'll get hurt if he keeps running so much? I just flat out disagree. First, the argument that running QBs get injured more often is not really based on fact. Instead, most QB injuries happen IN the pocket, not outside of it. Furthermore, Allen's sheer size should lessen his injury vulnerability. Look at Cam Newton, who is very similar in size and running style. How many games has he missed due to injury in his career? 

Bottom line: Allen is dangerous BECAUSE of his running ability. It is not an overstatement to say that he is on track to be one of the best running QBs in the HISTORY of the NFL. His combination of size and speed -- combined with his passing ability -- makes him a unique and difficult player to defend. Any notion that he needs to concentrate on scrambling less or cut it out of his game is just wrong. Aside from the aforementioned natural decline in rushing attempts due to his learning to see the field better, nothing else is needed.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Well right now with this O-line and lack of weapons, he's gotta run. And I'll buy it when people say he bails too early sometimes because he's seen the pocket collapse so often. 

My hope is if this front office actually bothers to get him any kind of protection, we'll see him stay in there more and throw the ball. But I agree his ability to gain yards on the ground is definitely a plus, and he did a better job this past game of not taking the abuse that can come with it. If he's smart about avoiding the hits it's a pretty sweet advantage we have for a QB to be a threat on the ground. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with your logic, Logic. And his running isn't just a valuable weapon, he's actually safer on the run than he is in the pocket. Hopefully that'll change with a better o-line, but for now, keep him on the move!

• Like (+1) 5

Allen claims he only runs if his first two reads aren’t there. Pundits and skeptics claim he takes off if his first read is covered. Which is it ? I don’t think of Allen being like RG III when it comes to running. He’s got a big frame, and seems to be learning to avoid the big hit quickly. It will always be a part of his game, at least until he’s much older. 

One observation I made today (for myself) is that Josh Allen got hit far more often and harder when he was standing in the pocket making a pass.  When he was running, he was elusive and did the smart thing by going down to avoid the hit.  I agree that short term, he'll be fine running the ball.  However, Buffalo needs to work hard to build up the cast around Allen so that he has other viable options.  In the long run, it would be advantageous if he did not run as often because the Bills could gain yards more effectively in other ways than they seem able to right now.  If they can do that, Allen's running could even be more effective (if that is even possible).  I'm not afraid of Allen running though.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Allen claims he only runs if his first two reads aren’t there. Pundits and skeptics claim he takes off if his first read is covered. Which is it ? I don’t think of Allen being like RG III when it comes to running. He’s got a big frame, and seems to be learning to avoid the big hit quickly. It will always be a part of his game, at least until he’s much older. 

It probably varies. On a short 3rd down if Allen sees an opening to take the first with his legs he probably just does it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

One observation I made today (for myself) is that Josh Allen got hit far more often and harder when he was standing in the pocket making a pass.  When he was running, he was elusive and did the smart thing by going down to avoid the hit.  I agree that short term, he'll be fine running the ball.  However, Buffalo needs to work hard to build up the cast around Allen so that he has other viable options.  In the long run, it would be advantageous if he did not run as often because the Bills could gain yards more effectively in other ways than they seem able to right now.  If they can do that, Allen's running could even be more effective (if that is even possible).  I'm not afraid of Allen running though.

Exactly.  He got hurt when he got sandwiched by two defenders while vulnerable in the pocket.  Last week he got crushed by three defenders at once, again, totally vulnerable while making a thrown from the pocket.  The vast majority of his runs end with him sliding or running out of bounds.  If he takes a couple hits while running a week, that's still far less than every QB takes each week from the pocket.  If anything, he takes fewer dangerous hits the more he runs.

• Like (+1) 2

The rule changes are a major factor here as well. It is hard to bring down a big, fast QB in the open field without getting flagged. Defenders are definitely thinking about the possibility of a flag before they hit the QB full speed.

Trubisky (who has a similar body type) and Allen are running for 7.1 and 6.8 YPA respectively which leads all QBs in YPA who have a meaningful number of attempts. It isn't just that they're fast and have good escapability. It's just really hard to stop a big QB in the open field in today's NFL. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

The rule changes are a major factor here as well. It is hard to bring down a big, fast QB in the open field without getting flagged. Defenders are definitely thinking about the possibility of a flag before they hit the QB full speed.

Trubisky (who has a similar body type) and Allen are running for 7.1 and 6.8 YPA respectively which leads all QBs in YPA who have a meaningful number of attempts. It isn't just that they're fast and have good escapability. It's just really hard to stop a big QB in the open field in today's NFL. 

This isn't true.  Watch yesterday's game.  He IS fast, and he has great moves to juke defenders.  He's smart enough to slide or run out of bounds on most runs.  No defender was laying off him to avoid a penalty.  One spun him around nearly by his neck. 

These guys are still hitting each other on and with their helmets--witness the uncalled helmet whack Allen took late in the game as he was being tackled.

It's obvious these rules aren't changing anyone's behavior.

A lot of posters said the same thing about Tyrod, and he too got his painful hits as a passer, not a runner. Josh is indeed an amazing dual threat. If in the coming years the OLine is upgraded and there are good speedy receivers, the long pass will be a common theme and that will leave lots of room for his running too! BTW who expected an upgraded as runner from Josh after Tyrod? Kid is just of wonderful surprises.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I agree with your logic, Logic. And his running isn't just a valuable weapon, he's actually safer on the run than he is in the pocket. Hopefully that'll change with a better o-line, but for now, keep him on the move!

The critical component here is that he has improved week to week in sliding or stepping OB before the big hit. Just a week ago he took a senseless hit for a pointless extra yard - and landed right on his shoulder. Yesterday, he had a very similar situation and just stepped OB. Be Russell Wilson smart about your runs and the beating you take.

This is fun and I can’t wait to see him play again! 

• Like (+1) 2

Has anyone done a study on running QBs?  Do they really get hurt more or have shorter careers?

I'd rather see Josh Allen running than an immobile pocket QB getting pancaked behind a porous OL.

Allen's best attributes are his big arm and his running ability.  I think Daboll should build next year's offense around those two things.  And find a backup QB who can do the same kinds of things - just in case.  

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This isn't true.  Watch yesterday's game.  He IS fast, and he has great moves to juke defenders.  He's smart enough to slide or run out of bounds on most runs.  No defender was laying off him to avoid a penalty.  One spun him around nearly by his neck. 

These guys are still hitting each other on and with their helmets--witness the uncalled helmet whack Allen took late in the game as he was being tackled.

It's obvious these rules aren't changing anyone's behavior.

Of course he's fast. It's just more than that.

But it IS very hard to come up with speed from the second or third level of the defense, not knowing when the QB is going to slide or give himself up, and make that play, when the guy is 245 and the refs are supposed to protect him.

I'm not saying he was particularly helped by yesterday's refs.

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Has anyone done a study on running QBs?  Do they really get hurt more or have shorter careers?

I'd rather see Josh Allen running than an immobile pocket QB getting pancaked behind a porous OL.

Allen's best attributes are his big arm and his running ability.  I think Daboll should build next year's offense around those two things.  And find a backup QB who can do the same kinds of things - just in case.  

Wilson and Young come to mind. (probably because of the dozen threads)   :D ;)

and Cam though the injury bug may be a question

Michael Vick, Fran Tarkenton, Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan