Postgame thread: Bills 24 Jags 21

BuffAlone

4 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Uh he had 2 TDs and over 100 yards rushing against the Jets. What game you thinking of?

Goes down all the time? Dude he never shed tackles. He always been a elusive, multi-cut back who made people miss cleanly. That’s like, his whole game man. He was stood up at the line all day today because the run blocking was poor (against JAX’s front 7, that’s understandable.)

That was my point: Ivory and Murphy would hit those miniscule holes and at least not lose the yardage that McCoy loses trying to dance around behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think McCoy is necessarily done (though he's getting closer) but he definitely could not run against the Jags' front seven. 

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

That was my point: Ivory and Murphy would hit those miniscule holes and at least not lose the yardage that McCoy loses trying to dance around behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think McCoy is necessarily done (though he's getting closer) but he definitely could not run against the Jags' front seven. 

He’s close-ish to the end, sure. But he can still play at a high level. You can criticize his running style if you want but he is what he’s always been. It was a tough task for the O line today and they didn’t do great; fine. Open up just a little bit more daylight for Shady and he’ll still produce. I personally don’t care about Ivory squeezing out 2-3 more yards on off-tackle runs. Leaning on plays like that isn’t a recipe for success anyways.

2 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

This game could very well be the pivot point when the term “trusting the process” was no longer seen as a joke. This team is coming together.

The last time I saw the Bills-Jags was 20 years ago when Flutie pulled off a last second TD. Allen didn’t need last minute heroics, but I think this is his and the team’s turning point as well. Fun game to experience. 

McCoy: "He Brings that Extra Spark" (1:52)

Bills RB LeSean McCoy spoke to the media following the team's win against the Jags. McCoy discussed what it was like to have Josh Allen back at quarterback and what kind of contribution he brings to the offense.

Lorenzo Alexander: "I Can't Wait to Get Out There and Compete Against These Guys" (2:19)

Bills Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander spoke with the media about the upcoming Week 12 matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Top 3 things we learned from Bills-Jaguars

wm1bkiahtnk90sjc6noy.png

1 - Josh Allen emerging

2 – Scuffle turned tide for Bills

3 – A true deep threat for Bills?

As usual the NFL almost ruined a good old fashioned snoberknocker game with an overabundance of flags.  This league needs to sort out the officiating before they strangle the goose laying all those golden eggs.  My takes from the game:

*  The defense was both great and bad today.  On the positive side the goal line stand was huge and the 2 INT's and a couple of 3 & outs showed folks why this defense is one of the best in the NFL.  On the negative side the Bills were manhandled up front in the 2nd quarter as the Jags ran it down their throat.  In today's game the Buffalo offense didn't disappear in the 2nd quarter after exploding out to a 14 - 0 1st quarter lead - they simply didn't get many opportunities as the Jags held the ball most of the quarter.

*  Josh Allen had a very good game.  He didn't show any rust and his game today is an example of why stats can be misleading.  The TD pass was one of the best throws I've seen any Bills QB make.  This was the play that showed why the Bills took Allen and why some scouts thought Allen had the most upside of any of the rookie QB's.  Keep in mind had the Bills not committed penalties on 2 straight 3rd down conversions that Allen made (3r & 5 great roll out throw & 3rd & 15 great pocket pass for a 1st down) in the 2nd quarter the Bills would have got at least a FG on that drive.  And lets not forget the beautiful 35 yard pass that Allen threw that was dropped.  That also was a drive that likely would have gone for at least a FG.

*  It seemed to me that the game has slowed down for Allen.  Those on this thread who said he still struggled in the pocket are flat out wrong.  I thought Allen's pocket presence was outstanding today as he moved very well and kept his eyes down field.  Except for maybe 3 passes his throws were on target or smart throw away's to avoid the sack.  To be honest the pass protection was  not great today and Allen's mobility allowed the Bills to avoid several sacks.  My other take-away is that Allen has that IT factor.  The way he interacts with his teammates and how they respond to him is clear to see.  No pouting like Rosen with this guy.  He is hard nosed and tough.  

*  As far as Allen's running goes - this is who he is.  It will always be a big part of his game.  In this way he resembles Cam Newton and while an injury is always possible Allen's legs are a big part of why he will soon emerge as a serious dual threat QB.  Think about his 2 big runs today.  The first was the TD run.  It's not easy for this team to score red zone TD's and that 14 yard TD run was a thing of beauty.  His 45 yard run in the 4th flipped the field big time and contributed to the win.  If anything I want to see them use the read option more with Allen & McCoy, much like Carolina uses it with McCaffrey & Newton. 

*  Notice how some of the western NY sports writers have been lukewarm about Allen's performance today.  Mostly the usual suspects who went in thinking they were going to write Allen's obituary and instead had to begrudgingly acknowledge that he exceeded expectations.  I don't get it.  From the very beginning some of these guys have acted like drafting Allen was a personal affront.  The kid seems to be perfect for Buffalo as he truly likes the city, the fans and his opportunity to play for the Bills. 

*  I thought that the offensive game plan was very well constructed.  Sure the Bills got to conservative once they had the lead but that's how this team is built. 

*  The Bills need to do something about the penalties.  To cancel out back to back 3rd & long conversions is simply unacceptable.  And having to many guys on the field on a punt giving the Jags a 1st down is beyond stupid.  They need to clean this up ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Shut up Sal, it's not coddling its called making it work. Would you rather they throw everything on Josh's shoulders and ruin the kid, again shut up.

Of all the people covering the Bills I think Sal knows the least about football in a list that includes Mike Schopp... soo.. yeah.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

This was a nice win and a good first game back for Allen.  He has so much heart.  Like was said in the game thread, Allen has a linebacker mentality like Kelly.

I love me some Josh.

Yes I was thinking same thing.  Josh gets hit by defense players and when he gets a chance he wants to hit back within rules.

Joe B: 7 Observations from Buffalo Bills vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (11/25/18)

GettyImages-1065218760_1543193579837_104

(WKBW) - Just two weeks ago, the Buffalo Bills snapped a four-game losing streak ahead of their bye week, with the hopes that it could help push them to a strong finish for the rest of the season. And on Sunday, well-rested and back home at New Era Field, the Bills collected their second straight victory.
This time around the Bills defeated the reeling Jacksonville Jaguars 24-21, which improved their record to 4-7 on the season. And above all else, the Bills did so with their rookie quarterback at the helm for the first time since his elbow injury.

How did the Bills pull off the win? Seven observations from the Bills-Jaguars contest:

1) Allen's return an outright success
2) The moment that changed everything
3) The defensive stand
4) Run defense worrisome for much of the first half
5) Pondering what could be with more talent around Allen
6) McKenzie, Foster providing a huge boost to the offense
7) McCoy, run game goes back to status quo in 2018

Bills MVP: QB Josh Allen
- You could make an argument for Shaq Lawson, but this was an entirely different offense with Josh Allen making big throws from the pocket under duress. When he plays like that, he can be a game changer for the Bills.

Bills LVP: C Russell Bodine
- Not much of a push all game, and he got called for a crucial penalty that negated a big throw on a 3rd-and-15. He's been a weakness for the team for much of the season.

Up Next: The Bills (4-7) go back on the road to take on the Miami Dolphins (5-6)

The Buffalo Bills have collected their fourth victory of the season following a win over Jacksonville that, above all else, featured Josh Allen playing his best game since becoming a member of the Bills. Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn discuss Allen's performance along with his potential considering the signs he showed on Sunday, the brawl that changed the course of the game in the third quarter, and somehow diverting into how head coaches would fare in a melee of their own. Plus, awards!

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I mean, that’s debatable. I am not going to dump on Barkley because he came in and was clutch as hell against the Jets, but I have my doubts he would’ve had much success throwing against the Jags secondary today.

Exactly. It's one thing to throw when you're running the ball at will and have a ton of time in the pocket like against the Jets. It's another to throw it when there are guys in your face and at your feet on every play like today.

CBS Sports Game Grades:  NFL Week 12 Grades

Buffalo 24-21 over Jacksonville

Jaguars: C

The Jaguars might not want to admit it, but it's really starting to feel like Blake Bortlesmight be holding the team back. The Jags ground game totaled 226 yards against the Bills but got no help from Bortles, who completed just 12 of 23 passes for 123 yards while also throwing two interceptions. Kicker Josh Lambo also let the team down with a missed 42-yard field goal late in the third quarter. The missed kick came after a wild sequence that where the Jags appeared to score a touchdown, but the TD got overturned. 

Bills: B

The Bills have had one of the best defenses in the NFL this year, and they showed the Jaguars why in this game. The Bills picked off two passes and sacked Blake Bortles three times. Although Leonard Fournette had a big game, the Bills didn't have to worry about him in the fourth quarter because he got ejected after being involved in a brawl. This game also featured the return of Josh Allen, who did just enough on offense to carry Buffalo. Allen accounted for two touchdowns with a 75-yard scoring pass to Robert Foster in the first quarter and a 14-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Allen actually finished with 99 rushing yards and was the game's leading rusher.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

Big difference with Barkley playing qb. 

We need to stop pampering Allen and let him prove he can throw the ball. 

Barkley would’ve dominated today’s match. 

Please stop.

Why does everyone feel like it's necessary to be in a certain QB camp?

Barkley was really really good against the Jets, but he's not the future and you wonder how much of his success had to do with the fact that the Jets prepared entirely for Allen, not Barkley.

I think Barkley could be the long term backup that could fill in and win some games the way Reich was to Kelly, and I sincerely do hope we lock him up as a backup.

But Allen was super impressive today. And I mean as a passer, not just as a runner. I don't even have to spend a lot of time thinking about it but there are immediately at least 3 positive passing plays he had that don't show up positively for him in the stat sheet:

1) 3rd and 5 he passes and converts a 1st down to be called back on a phantom hold IMMEDIATELY followed by

2) 3rd and 15 he passes and converts a 1st down to be called back on an illegal hands to the face

3) Deonte Thompson not able to hold onto a nicely thrown ball over the deep middle.

Allen was poised and composed in the pocket. He hung in there for that gorgeous TD pass to Foster. When he felt pressure he moved or ran. He was generally (though not always) smart with his body in terms of not taking unnecessary hits.

I don't think Barkley does that against Ramsey and Bouye. Allen was super impressive, especially for his 7th start against an excellent defense.

Be happy. Now that Peterman's gone and Barkley's our backup we don't have to be absolutely terrified if our backup has to play.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Reaction: Buffalo Bills Beat Jacksonville Jaguars in Josh Allen's Return

XNUuje2G?format=jpg&name=600x314

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

ORCHARD PARK – Josh Allen took the high road Sunday and chose not to say much about the guy who, a few months ago, called him “trash” in a magazine interview, the guy who he exacted revenge upon and beat Sunday afternoon.

Allen didn’t light up Jalen Ramsey or the Jaguars as he completed only eight passes in the game, but when he walked off the turf at New Era Field he was a 24-21 winner, while the mouthy Ramsey left Buffalo with his Jaguars riding a mortifying seven-game losing streak that has effectively tanked their season.

“I just want to win football games,” Allen said. “There was a lot of trash talking before and after, but ultimately my job is to go out there and help this team win, and I did a good enough job of that tonight with the help of my team. He’s one of the best corners in the league. … To come out and get a ‘W’ and score 24 points felt good.”

Josh Allen praises defense in Bills' 24-21 win over Jaguars (1:34)

Josh Allen recaps the strong defensive effort by the Bills in his return to the lineup.