Postgame thread: Bills 24 Jags 21

BuffAlone

18 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Eh...I generally don't have specific issues with the calls. I have issues with consistency in-game, from crew to crew and often quarter to quarter. 

It's been like that for YEARS, maybe even decades now. Absolutely NO consistency on: holding, pass interference, illegal use of hands, and block in the back.

ETA: Oh, forgot about the "new, let's keep everybody safe" calls. So, same story for these calls as above: Roughing the Passer, Unnecessary Roughness, & Hitting a Defenseless Receiver.

Edited by John in Jax
Adds
  • Like (+1) 1

Randoms:

- Zay Jones with the massive cut block on Jalen Ramsey so McKittrick walks in for the TD.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

- Kyle shows up with only 1.5 sacks in the box score (I had him with 3), but outside Jax's two rushing TD drives, he was an absolute beast today.

- Deonte Thompson lovers, bite me.  Huge drop, and failed to break off a route with Jagoffs blitzing on 3rd and 14 in 4th quarter.  Dude continued his crappy play from last year's playoff game.

- Tre White acting the fool behind Coleman on the phantom Bills illegal contact penalty (on a freaking SCREEN pass!).  Save that for a Jagoffs penalty.

- Levi Wallace with the game-saving simultaneous possession.  Awesome play, kid.

- Fournette for Lawson.  I'll take that every day of the week.  Fournette was killing us single-handedly, Jagoffs were not the same after he got ejected.

- Damn Leslie Frazier and that prevent D with 3 minutes to go.  

- Josh Allen is my franchise QB.  We need guys that can catch and run routes next year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Randoms:

- Zay Jones with the massive cut block on Jalen Ramsey so McKittrick walks in for the TD.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

- Kyle shows up with only 1.5 sacks in the box score (I had him with 3), but outside Jax's two rushing TD drives, he was an absolute beast today.

- Deonte Thompson lovers, bite me.  Huge drop, and failed to break off a route with Jagoffs blitzing on 3rd and 14 in 4th quarter.  Dude continued his crappy play from last year's playoff game.

- Tre White acting the fool behind Coleman on the phantom Bills illegal contact penalty (on a freaking SCREEN pass!).  Save that for a Jagoffs penalty.

- Levi Wallace with the game-saving simultaneous possession.  Awesome play, kid.

- Fournette for Lawson.  I'll take that every day of the week.  Fournette was killing us single-handedly, Jagoffs were not the same after he got ejected.

- Damn Leslie Frazier and that prevent D with 3 minutes to go.  

- Josh Allen is my franchise QB.  We need guys that can catch and run routes next year.

In thought Kyle had 3 Sacks as well.

Thompson wasn't good.

I thought Tre was funny as hell.

It wasn't simultaneous possession, their guy was just short of the endzone.

Fournette is an idiot.

Don't know why we ever got rid of Colton Schmidt

54 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Love to see Allen behind a decent, if not great, line.

I feel like he has proven to be a better runner than a pocket passer. They seem to hold up decently well against good rushes. Every once and a while they remind you how bad they are.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I feel like he has proven to be a better runner than a pocket passer. They seem to hold up decently well against good rushes. Every once and a while they remind you how bad they are.

If Josh does not move on several of those runs he gets sacked

The jags....regardless of how bad their record have a VERY good defense.....and our OL is NOT good in pass protection (they got even better when Groy went in for Miller)

BUF-Bills-Header.png

It was a solid day for the big bodies in the middle of the defense for the Buffalo Bills. Kyle Williams and Jordan Phillips took advantage of injuries to the Jaguars interior and won in run defense.

While the Bills couldn’t get consistent team effort rushing the passer, Jerry Hughes stood out as the lone effective pass rusher. Hughes won his matchup consistently against backup Ereck Flowers and force Bortles to move up in the pocket.

Josh Allen played his first game back since Week 6 and showed the value that he can provide. Allen threw one of the best passes you will see all season being hit as he released the ball and still getting the ball downfield, which Robert Foster took for a 75-yard touchdown. Outside of that, the ability to move the ball on the ground paid big dividends when he broke for a 45-yard scramble in the fourth quarter to help put the Bills in a position to win the game

The Bills’ ground game struggled to get going for another week, as LeSean McCoy averaged just 2.7 yards per carry, and his longest run of the game was a meager seven yards. With the Bills’ offense relying on big plays, the Jaguars defense was able to load the box and prevent any rushing lane opening up.

JAX-Jaguars-Header.png

It was not much of a modern offensive game plan from either offense in Buffalo. The Jaguars looked to pound the ball on the ground. Leonard Fournette was effective out of the backfield for the Jaguars for the majority of the day. He got north and south and burst through the line. Fournette was then later thrown out of the game for fighting, marring his solid day.

Since it is 2018, the Jaguars needed to get something out of their quarterback in order to be effective, and they just did not get much out of Blake Bortles at all. While neither of his interceptions was extremely poorly thrown (one was a drop), he was unable to connect on a regular basis with his receivers, only completing 12 passes on the day.

In a losing effort, Calais Campbell showed his pass-rushing skills, as he beat the Buffalo offensive line in multiple ways and lined up either on the outside or in the interior. Even though the Jaguars did not record a sack, they still managed to record a significant amount of pressure.

The Jaguars’ secondary held up well against the Bills’ offense. The only significant play they allowed was a the75-yard touchdown that Barry Church was beat on. Outside of that play, they only allowed one recpetion over 20 yards and that was to Kelvin Benjamin early in the game.

I was getting really frustrated at Shady's running. In a game like this one, against a quality run defense where there are not going to be big holes and the ones that are there will close quickly, his dancing style is exactly wrong. They needed somebody who would just hit the hole and keep driving. The Bills would have run better if he were on the bench and Chris Ivory and Marcus Murphy carried the load, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 7

What We Learned from Sunday's Week 12 Contests

Buffalo Bills 24, Jacksonville Jaguars 21

1. The wheels completely fell off this game for the Jaguars at exactly the moment Donte Moncrief found himself clutching the football after making a big play for his team. Moncrief's extended tie-up with Buffalo defensive back Levi Wallace resulted in his teammates coming to his aid, which included pushing and shoving, and then a full-blown fight highlighted by Leonard Fournette trading blows with Bills defensive end Shaq Lawson. The skirmish got both of them ejected, cost Jacksonville its star power back with the ball on the 1-yard line. Thanks to a sack and a pair of penalties, the Jags ended up outside the 20 on fourth-and-goal, and Josh Lambo capped the disaster by missing a 42-yard field goal.

Jacksonville, which relied heavily on Fournette leading up to that moment (he finished with 95 yards on 18 carries despite being ejected late in the third), lost its best threat to a Buffalo defense that hasn't been kind to most all season. Losing by three points only added to the sting of defeat in Doug Marrone's return to Buffalo.

2. No matter your concerns with his details (I have long held at least a couple), Josh Allen's return was a major boost for Buffalo. With no offense intended for Matt Barkley, Allen brought a new life to the Billswith a beautiful long pass that took advantage of the rookie's big arm and ended in a 75-yard touchdown reception for Robert Foster, a fairly well-paced offense and even his own running plays. In fact, it was his running that did the most damage, with the quarterback carrying the ball 13 times for 99 yards. Allen's 14-yard touchdown run right up the middle of the field -- which came immediately after the aforementioned meltdown and on the first play of the fourth quarter -- would've blown the roof off New Era Field if it had one. That score capped a euphoric day for Bills fans in a game that seemed destined to grind to a three-point difference, which it did, but it wasn't as ugly as it appeared it would be.

3. At 3-8, one has to wonder where the Jaguars go from here. Blake Bortles wasn't the lone offender, but Jacksonville's offense is downright abysmal in the passing game, no matter the depth. It's clear the Jaguars' best approach is to pound the football, but in-season acquisition Carlos Hyde didn't do much (10 carries, 33 yards) to help in between Fournette carries, and this team's receiving corps is just a group of glorified No. 2 or No. 3 receivers running routes for a quarterback who definitely misses his left tackle. Keelan Cole dropped a pass that resulted in a Buffalo interception. James O'Shaughnessy was part of a blown screen play on a pass that either arrived too early, or O'Shaughnessy turned around too late. Ereck Flowers got his first start for the Jaguars at left tackle and was predictably bad, and an injury to Andrew Norwell only made things worse up front. This was once the exception, but it's starting to become the norm, and with the Jags' defense not holding up their end of the bargain (Barry Churchwas caught in concrete on Foster's touchdown reception), it's turned into a losing formula.

This game was a rematch of last year's AFC Wild Card meeting, and the two participants are far from such a return now. But one team at least feels better about itself after this contest.
-- Nick Shook
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

It took 12 weeks but I think McDermott has finally realized his two best guards were standing on the sidelines for the first 10 weeks.Teller and Groy have so much more power and foot speed than Ducasse and Miller do.

Didn't notice Groy today, but I did see Miller getting holding calls.

14 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I was getting really frustrated at Shady's running. In a game like this one, against a quality run defense where there are not going to be big holes and the ones that are there will close quickly, his dancing style is exactly wrong. They needed somebody who would just hit the hole and keep driving. The Bills would have run better if he were on the bench and Chris Ivory and Marcus Murphy carried the load, in my opinion.

McCoy looks like he is done, no quickness, goes down so easy now. 

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Did you think that 2 weeks ago after the Jets game? 

Big difference with Barkley playing qb. 

We need to stop pampering Allen and let him prove he can throw the ball. 

Barkley would’ve dominated today’s match. 

Edited by PittsforDave

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Shut up Sal, it's not coddling its called making it work. Would you rather they throw everything on Josh's shoulders and ruin the kid, again shut up.

Somebody has to fill the vacuum Jerry Sullivan left.

3 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

what one tD for thirty yards. He goes down now all the time.

Uh he had 2 TDs and over 100 yards rushing against the Jets. What game you thinking of?

Goes down all the time? Dude he never shed tackles. He always been a elusive, multi-cut back who made people miss cleanly. That’s like, his whole game man. He was stood up at the line all day today because the run blocking was poor (against JAX’s front 7, that’s understandable.)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

Big difference with Barkley playing qb. 

We need to stop pampering Allen and let him prove he can throw the ball. 

Barkley would’ve dominated today’s match. 

I mean, that’s debatable. I am not going to dump on Barkley because he came in and was clutch as hell against the Jets, but I have my doubts he would’ve had much success throwing against the Jags secondary today.

• Like (+1) 1