Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

49 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lynn is doing great but any connection to to Ryan needed to be expunged.

McDermott is a great coach and has a plan and philosophy that works. We will be winning regularly.

...they lost last night so he should be fired, right??............

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Idandria said:

You fail to realize that the chargers were 5-11 before Lynn took over. And did I mention both Rivers and Gordon were on the team then too? So yea, coaching matters. 

You’re absolutely right.

one made the playoffs in his first season, again, with a group of castoffs that nobody wanted and Tyrod Taylor at QB. 

The other DIDNT make the playoffs in his first season, with Philip Rivers at QB and a roster with MILES more talent. 

Sure, the Chargers are having a better year this year, but I think it’s pretty obvious why and it’s NOT coaching. Yes, coaching matters. Talent on the roster matters too.

Edited by CLTbills

On 11/19/2018 at 11:28 PM, JohnC said:

Rivers is going to be a serious candidate for the HOF. My bet is that he will be inducted in Canton with half of the seats at the ceremony filled by his kids. If Rivers was a horse he would be working as stud in Kentucky producing offspring. 

He needs to win 1 if not 2 Super Bowls to have any chance, right now his chances are less than 10%. There is already a backlog and a lot of certainties are coming up. He has never been top 3 at his position at any point nor win anything meaningful.

Edited by Mountain Man

On 11/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, Saint Doug said:

I do give him credit for sustaining their prior success. This is a situation where a coach was hired that didn’t automatically rip everything down to it “his way” with “his guys”. 

When you have a QB in place, it's a lot easier to keep building.  They had a solid young core as well.  We were in a different situation than they were when Lynn took over.  We needed a new QB and the majority of the contributors on the team were older.  We had very few young players that were difference makers.  We have many more now thankfully haha.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

When you have a QB in place, it's a lot easier to keep building.  They had a solid young core as well.  We were in a different situation than they were when Lynn took over.  We needed a new QB and the majority of the contributors on the team were older.  We had very few young players that were difference makers.  We have many more now thankfully haha.  

I agree. And McCoy was a total poop show thebyear he got fired. I remembering arguing with folks on here they were a good team who found creative and heretofore Unheard of ways to lose. 

I like ALynn, like McD too... although game day McD worries me. 

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I agree. And McCoy was a total poop show thebyear he got fired. I remembering arguing with folks on here they were a good team who found creative and heretofore Unheard of ways to lose. 

I like ALynn, like McD too... although game day McD worries me. 

It's hard to judge a coach for the in-game decisions he makes with a young team with limited talent.  Next year really is a monster year for this team and its growth.

I liked Lynn. I thought he did well on an interim basis here. That being said, he landed in a good spot with the Chargers. They still have Phillip Rivers performing at a high level, Melvin Gordon, and a solid defense. I'm glad he got an opportunity and he has done well with it, but it doesn't make me regret us not hiring him as our HC. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

It's hard to judge a coach for the in-game decisions he makes with a young team with limited talent.  Next year really is a monster year for this team and its growth.

don't agree with that at all. right strategic decisions and clock management are the same all the time...punting last year in the snow game classic example. Yes it worked, but just an awful decision that could have cost the Bills a playoff spot

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

He’s not a long term strategist. This explains the step back in 2018 over 2017. A good coach only goes forward with minimal hiccups year 2 is often better than year 1.

:blink:

From the top down, the changes that were made since McDermott entered the building were done with an eye towards the future. 2019 will be the first time since the Polian years that the team has been aligned on the field and in the FO, with a solid foundation in place and a healthy cap situation with no giant albatross contracts or dead money hamstringing them. It’s not an accident. 

Regarding the current step back, anyone with common sense and a hint of objectivity could see this season coming. As much as it sucks to burn a season, it wasn’t a surprise. Hopefully it serves as the backdrop for many good years to come. 

Now that the tear down is over we’ll find out whether or not he is the right person moving forward. I like the direction the team is moving and the vibe of the “culture change,” but I’ve thought that before. We’ll know in 2019 IMO.