Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

"Had to" or "chose to"?

I guess you could argue both. Had to do it to achieve their vision and blueprint of a successful team but obviously this was a choice , and they chose to do this , knowing there would be a learning curve and I'm sure they anticipated a rough season or 2 . 

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I guess you could argue both. Had to do it to achieve their vision and blueprint of a successful team but obviously this was a choice , and they chose to do this , knowing there would be a learning curve and I'm sure they anticipated a rough season or 2 . 

I am sure they did too. Whether that choice was right or wrong is yet to be determined. But it was a choice. Absolutely it was. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I think a Defensive minded Head Coach can succeed in today's NFL but he has to really be a Head Coach! The minute McDermott took over play calling for Frazier even if it was temporary, He let everyone know he was a Defensive Coordinator playing Head Coach. If you want the promotion from DC to HC and are fortunate enough to get that opportunity, then do the job of HC. Be the administrator of your coaches. Hire the coordinators to implement your scheme and your vision and let them do the job you hired them to do. Never do their job for them. If they can't or won't do the job to your liking, fire them and get someone who will.

But an offensive HC like McVay or Reid is ok calling only offense and letting the defense be handled by the DC?

This is crazy - heck Belichick pulled defensive duties when he feels like it and spends time meeting with the defensive team after drives.

All head coaches have to trust their coordinators and they hire guys they feel they can trust and implement what they want.

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

It's tough to make this argument since the program with the most consistency and longevity, by far, in history is run by Bill Belichick.

More importantly, than the background of the head coach, is getting the right coordinators installed, especially on the other side of the ball from your own specialty.

Wrong.

Belichick was a great DC but he's proven to be an even more innovative offensive mind.

The Patriots ceased to be a defense-centric team about 15 years ago............their defense has been a roller coaster of results in that stretch.........but the offense has always been incredibly efficient despite always evolving.

And it clearly was NOT because he put the right coordinators in place........he is unique in that he would probably be the best OC or DC in the league.

As I said........your HC can come from the defensive side of the ball...........but you need to be an offense-centric team to avoid the peaks and valleys in the W-L column that are A GIVEN if you try to live by the D.

Ask the Seahawks........youngest team in the NFL when they won the SB.........but aged out and going thru a heavy re-tool just a few seasons later(despite having a franchise QB)...........meanwhile Belichick's offense-first approach just keeps winning.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Chargers do not have a win over a winning team. Couple of wins over .500 teams

Not saying they are not good, just need to see them beat someone of consequence before I declare them good or bad

Or you could say it the other way.

Chargers only have 2 losses, both close games against the rams and chiefs. Both Super Bowl contenders

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wrong.

Belichick was a great DC but he's proven to be an even more innovative offensive mind.

The Patriots ceased to be a defense-centric team about 15 years ago............their defense has been a roller coaster of results in that stretch.........but the offense has always been incredibly efficient despite always evolving.

And it clearly was NOT because he put the right coordinators in place........he is unique in that he would probably be the best OC or DC in the league.

As I said........your HC can come from the defensive side of the ball...........but you need to be an offense-centric team to avoid the peaks and valleys in the W-L column that are A GIVEN if you try to live by the D.

Ask the Seahawks........youngest team in the NFL when they won the SB.........but aged out and going thru a heavy re-tool just a few seasons later(despite having a franchise QB)...........meanwhile Belichick's offense-first approach just keeps winning.

While there is no doubt Belichick has been innivative on offense (basically from the moment Weis left) his defenses are pretty much always top in terms of scoring defense (I think it is 9 of the last 10 years). The Patriots are abolutely a team who understand you have to play both sides of the ball. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

"Had to" or "chose to"?

Anyone who says they "had to" tear this roster down is entirely unobjective.

It's a quick-turnaround league......there are no teams that "aren't close"..........even a major tear down can be fixed entirely in a couple seasons with good HC/GM work.

Expecting your fanbase to wait until your third year to be legitimately capable of winning games in the playoffs is not a thing anymore...........that's why most coaches get canned after year 3 if it doesn't happen.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a quick-turnaround league......there are no teams that "aren't close"..........even a major tear down can be fixed entirely in a couple seasons with good HC/GM work.

Expecting your fanbase to wait until your third year to be legitimately capable of winning games in the playoffs is not a thing anymore...........that's why most coaches get canned after year 3 if it doesn't happen.

And originally of course they were saying "win now and win in the future" so either we believe they changed their mind to give effect to the tear down or (and this is more worrying) they thought this roster was more competitive than it is. 

6 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I believe that it was the right decision to hire someone who didn't have ties to Rex Ryan.  If Lynn had our roster he'd be 3-7 too.  The main difference is we would have had Geno Smith throwing INTs instead of Peterman. 

Because what he has done in LA resembles any of the sort.

I like Lynn. I'm happy for him, as a lot of others said, he has Rivers, so that helps. However, a lot of coaches failed with that roster. He deserves some credit in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not so; this was a failed organization for over 15 years! It was not going to get fixed over night like many of you want!

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While there is no doubt Belichick has been innivative on offense (basically from the moment Weis left) his defenses are pretty much always top in terms of scoring defense (I think it is 9 of the last 10 years). The Patriots are abolutely a team who understand you have to play both sides of the ball. 

Yep.......Belichick is unique.........that's why it's inaccurate to call him a "defensive coach".

The odds of your next HC hire becoming as good as the GOAT Belichick are microscopic.:lol:

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The broncos are bad and this game is too close. Ugly game for Lynn. Tons of penalties and stupid time outs.

You can't look at this in the context of something like a Bills/Patriots matchup.

The Broncos haven't had consecutive losing seasons in almost 50 years..........you don't do that by being somebody's bI+ch in your division.

Contrary to our woeful organization (including McD now being 0-3 vs BB).........division games are normally pretty close.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can't look at this in the context of something like a Bills/Patriots matchup.

The Broncos haven't had consecutive losing seasons in almost 50 years..........you don't do that by being somebody's bI+ch in your division.

Contrary to our woeful organization (including McD now being 0-3 vs BB).........division games are normally pretty close.

I didn’t 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Not so; this was a failed organization for over 15 years! It was not going to get fixed over night like many of you want!

I know.......voodu.......indian burial ground........ghosts of people Ralph mistreated.........we needed a magician to re-introduce Jauron Ball and Peterman.

There's nothing magical going on here folks.............it's just football.........any team can be turned around pretty quickly with good GM/HC work.

I have much respect for the guy. I believe it wasn’t him, but the team itself because he was a Rex guy. The team gave up on Rex. So, I understand why they cut ties.  Still like McDermott more. Love what he has done with this defense, so much young, headstrong talent, that this could devop into one of the premiere defenses down the road. We just/deserve a good offensive play calling in the future.