Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's REALLY easy to lose and say "be patient" when you haven't had a 10 win season in a couple decades.

You accept losing.........it's in your DNA now if you are a Bills organization apologist.

I get that McBeane screwed up this season with decisions that they've made.........and that they are praying/counting on Allen saving their bacon next season so they don't get replaced...........but I don't have to pretend that I see some kind of significant linear improvement.

It's fair to be objective and look at the results.........they are 7-13 in their last 20 games.

By contrast........I was told in no uncertain terms by people with attitudes like yours that Chip Kelly had ruined the Eagles roster by doing things like trading us Shady and cutting DeSean Jackson and so forth.......so they fire Kelly with the cupboard supposedly bare and the new HC goes 7-9 with a rookie QB and then basically goes wire-to-wire as the top seed in the NFC and wins the SB the following season.  

2 years rebuilding from "scratch" and a SB victory..............no magic wand needed so don't tell me about the labor pains,  Buddy Nix.

I've said all along........I think the Pegs will give McBeane next year to prove that they shouldn't be fired.

That's more than fair in today's NFL.:thumbsup:

Now back to reality; I have seen horrible personnel management, coaching, drafting, and losing seasons that do not even come close to what you are seeing now, many of us now in our golden years so don't lay that millennial BS on me. Not in anyone's DNA and I am in agreement that the current regime gets until 2019; I also assume you are a fairly new NFL fan!

Do some more research and look at some of the powerhouses built by smart rebuilding efforts; the Eagles got lucky last year and I don't see them in it for the long haul. I want dynasty and a winning organization in all facets, not the fast food "I want it and I want it now" because I'm mad and impatient! Try thinking long term!

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao.

The "be patient" bit got old after Donahoe was canned. 

Try this one more time; our beloved Bills emerged into the twenty - first century an undisciplined, losing organization that produced an almost .500 product and frustration in December turned into "this is the year" in July; same results. Anybody can do that in today's NFL, build a powerhouse that lasts a decade!  

11 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I can’t remember, were we a playoff team last year?

McD should stay because we made the playoffs or McD should stay because this team sucks now? It’s so hard to keep track.

How about trying McD should stay until the 2019 season; if things work out great if not all of you will get your wish, he gets fired and you can assert your superior NFL intellect over the rest of us!

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

And having Melvin Gordon and Keenan Allen and Melvin Ingram

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wrong.

Belichick was a great DC but he's proven to be an even more innovative offensive mind.

The Patriots ceased to be a defense-centric team about 15 years ago............their defense has been a roller coaster of results in that stretch.........but the offense has always been incredibly efficient despite always evolving.

And it clearly was NOT because he put the right coordinators in place........he is unique in that he would probably be the best OC or DC in the league.

As I said........your HC can come from the defensive side of the ball...........but you need to be an offense-centric team to avoid the peaks and valleys in the W-L column that are A GIVEN if you try to live by the D.

Ask the Seahawks........youngest team in the NFL when they won the SB.........but aged out and going thru a heavy re-tool just a few seasons later(despite having a franchise QB)...........meanwhile Belichick's offense-first approach just keeps winning.

From what I’ve read, the Seahawks have coddled their franchise QB too much and got rid of teammates that didn’t get along with him.

16 hours ago, pop gun said:

When did the Rams or Seahawks gut their whole roster to the unneeded extent the Bills did?

They changed the entire roster in 3 years.  Same concept as Buffalo.  We were an old team that needed youth and draft picks.  Be thankful they didn't do exactly what the last several regimes did (which didn't work by the way if you haven't noticed the lack of success here in the last 20 years).

19 hours ago, Steptide said:

Lynn was handed a really good team. McDermott interviewed for this job as well. Wouldn't be surprised if McDermott had more success with the Chargers, but I think he wanted a team he could completely re build 

Lynn was handed a team that was coming off  4-12 and 5-11 seasons.. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I thought last season that the Bills messed up by not hiring Lynn.  The Chargers struggled early on last season, but they strung together a bunch of wins to climb into playoff contention and just missed the playoffs due to the quirks of the tie-breaker system.  

If you look around the league at the first time HCs who have been successful in their first few seasons seasons, and you see that building on the team's current personnel is a key to their success.  Last season it was Pederson winning a SB in his second season and McVay building a powerhouse using lots of guys they inherited.   In Chicago, Nagy has the Bears in charge of the NFCN not only with players he inherited but also with a DC he kept from the previous regime.  Lynn is another one of this club. 

The reality is that in the salary cap era, a HC/GM not only have to recognize talent but they also have to be flexible enough to not only accommodate the talent available to them even if some of those talented players don't fit into their narrowly defined parameters of acceptable attitudes but also adapt to changes in the way the game is being played.  Maybe teams can be successful on occasion but long term I don't think conservative and inflexible HCs can be successful long term.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Ya with Phillip rivers and alot of really good players. My point was that the Chargers were a much more established team when Lynn took over than the bills were 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

The "book" on the Chargers pre-Lynn was that they never lived up to the talent that they had and always managed to lose close/important games.  Rivers had the reputation for never ever being able to win games when he needed to, going back to his early years when the Chargers were loaded with talent (he has only 1 playoff win in numerous playoff appearances).   Nobody is saying that about the Chargers under Lynn.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Ya with Phillip rivers and alot of really good players. My point was that the Chargers were a much more established team when Lynn took over than the bills were 

?? The Bills were coming off 8-8 and 7-9 seasons. There was actual talent on this roster, and Lynn might have kept it, while drafting Mahomes or Watson

37 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The "book" on the Chargers pre-Lynn was that they never lived up to the talent that they had and always managed to lose close/important games.  Rivers had the reputation for never ever being able to win games when he needed to, going back to his early years when the Chargers were loaded with talent (he has only 1 playoff win in numerous playoff appearances).   Nobody is saying that about the Chargers under Lynn.

Because they haven't played in a playoff game with Lynn as HC yet.

Last year they lost to the Chiefs twice, the Eagles, NE and the Jags.  This year, they've lost to the Chiefs and the Rams. 

They don't beat the best teams.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I don't think every HC is meant to be in every situation. I think there are very good Head Coaches that could be put in a poor position based on the organization and they wouldn't be successful, but being put in a different organization with a different climate or culture and with a different FO and Owner, CAN be successful. Anthony Lynn strikes me as he found the right spot for him but I'm not sure he could be a HC of just any team, say the Browns or the Bills and be equally successful. I realize these days I'm most likely in the minority, but I for one think McD was / is the right HC for this Bills team. 

You need a HC that can hold the line, insulate the players a bit from outside criticism because there are growing pains, a guy who has a cohesive plan and is willing to do whatever is necessary to maintain that plan, can stay positive in the face of adversity and someone who can teach and lead. Now, on Offense that remains to be seen, but on Defense it seems pretty evident he can do that and do it well. Offensively, it's nearly impossible to judge until this time next year when all the excuses are gone and expectations will be reasonable. Do they need to look like the Rams next year? Or the Chiefs? NO....but they DO need to look like a competent and EVER improving Offense. Week 1 may not be great, but by Week 10, they should look like an Offense with a strong identity capable of beating almost anyone and by the end of the year, there should be no question as to whether Josh Allen is your answer to the QB puzzle. That to me would be reasonable growth and expectations when the money and the picks will be there. 

21 hours ago, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

He has a QB.  Im happy with the direction I believe we are headed in.  I will say that if we kept Lynn then Trubisky may have been our QB.

2 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

From what I’ve read, the Seahawks have coddled their franchise QB too much and got rid of teammates that didn’t get along with him.

Their defense also aged out fast(because defenders often decline/wear down sooner than their offensive counterparts) and got too expensive to maintain.

2 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Yeah you MIGHT be an unabashed homer if you think the Bills needed to be re-built but the Chargers were a "good" team.

Additionally Lynn had to deal with the team moving and playing without a homefield advantage ever since.

And fwiw Lynn has kicked McDermott's ass twice now.

McD is 0-3 vs Belichick and 0-2 versus Lynn........7-13 in total the last 20 games.

I'm not giving up on McDermott but the facts are the facts.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, eball said:

You're kidding, right?  Their roster is stocked with talent on both sides of the ball and they have a HOF QB.

By the way, Lynn completely butchered the end of the game yesterday, allowing a crappy Denver team time to drive the length of the field and beat them on a last-second FG.

His HOF QB inexplicably threw a dirt ball on 3rd down with 1:58 left.............THAT cost them the game.........you can't give the opponent an extra 40 seconds there.

Philip Rivers is very good and will probably get into the HOF as a stat accumulator but he makes more bad decisions than guys like Brady and Rodgers and that's why he's not held in higher esteem.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why does it always have to be “did we make a mistake”?  No one was asking this last year when we made the playoffs and he didn’t.  And McD made the playoffs with a worse roster than Lynn who also has Rivers compared to the duo of Tyrod and Pickerman.  

I mean cant it be that both McD and Lynn could both be good coaches and good choices?  Geezus, I feel like everyone here spends so much time trying to force the most negative narrative they can come up with.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Love when people accuse others of accepting losing when they have differing philosophies on how they choose to follow this team.

BTW, Pederson didn't rebuild the Eagles from scratch. He inherited a team that finished in the top 12 in offense the previous three years (including top 5 in two of them). And for all  your going on about offensive minded head coaches, the primary improvement last year that contributed to their Super Bowl run was their defense, which improved from 30th to 4th over two years.

In addition, both their offense and defense have been pretty woeful this year. So, is Pederson a great head coach for winning the Super Bowl last year or is he an incompetent coach that needs to be fired for taking a Super Bowl team and turning it into a 4-6 team and the debacle we saw on the field yesterday?

Thanks for the dose of reality; the Dreamland posters are not going to happy ha ha!

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why does it always have to be “did we make a mistake”?  No one was asking this last year when we made the playoffs and he didn’t.  And McD made the playoffs with a worse roster than Lynn who also has Rivers compared to the duo of Tyrod and Pickerman.  

I mean cant it be that both McD and Lynn could both be good coaches and good choices?  Geezus, I feel like everyone here spends so much time trying to force the most negative narrative they can come up with.  

The fast food generation wants it and they want it now; if they don't get it villains are needed, everybody gets fired, temper tantrums, until the next incomplete pass then start all over again. I could not imagine watching a Bills game with some of these posters, it would be a miserable experience!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:
17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So your logic is BLOW UP EVERYTHING from the previous regime because they consistently hovered around .500, mostly due to ***** coaching, and now we are on track to build a power house lasting a decade??

Its called a rebuild to those who have followed the NFL for awhile, try looking at the 1982 Giants or Bears, or the 1989 Cowboys; like I said in one year you can impress all with your superior NFL intellect if they fail!! I'm sure firing everybody will feed your constant anger and frustration! Hovering around .500 for 16 years, are you serious!!

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So your logic is BLOW UP EVERYTHING from the previous regime because they consistently hovered around .500, mostly due to ***** coaching, and now we are on track to build a power house lasting a decade??

The fast food generation wants it and they want it now; if they don't get it villains are needed, everybody gets fired, temper tantrums, until the next incomplete pass then start all over again. I could not imagine watching a Bills game with some of these posters, it would be a miserable experience!