Is Adrian Peterson an anomaly or could Shady play at a high level in his 30s?

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Peterson had a year off and then was sparingly used ever since. Not to mention he is a once in a generation type athlete. So I think it's a mix of an anomaly and circumstance

Yea I was gonna say this. He sat out a year, so that’s one less year of wear and tear on the body.

I believe this is why Fred Jackson was able to be successful as a RB into his 30’s.

He got into the NFL in a round about way through the arena leagues. He was never subjected to the hits a RB takes as a young man, so he was able to run hard even though he was older. 

Frank Gore. But he is more of a power runner..more compact.John Riggins--excellent thru mid 30s--speed plus power.peterson speed plus power.

Power seems to be the main theme but the 3 mentioned all had excellent speed.

LeSean still very good. But I dont see him having a big season at 33 or 34 or 35.

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I’m not sure, to be honest. Not to hijack this thread, but I much prefer Ivory’s running style so it wouldn’t upset me if they let him go. 

With that being said, he did a better job of hitting the holes versus the Jests. 

Just an aside, in this regard.  Running styles are apples and oranges.  It's the results that count.  Many get excellent results as short yardage backs, while others grab yardage with speed, stealth, and versatility.  The ultimate package of all of the above was Jim Brown.  He was Ivory and Shady rolled into one.  Those who missed watching him play week after week (prior to the Bills the closest NFL franchise was the Browns and all their games were televised In Buffalo) missed the best football player ever.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

Thurman Thomas was a third down back late in his career, and that is the route Shady should go....he is a good receiver, and still can run pretty well.  My problem is he is making a hell of a lot of money....not sure he is worth $9mil next year.  $5 maybe, but not $9. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Just an aside, in this regard.  Running styles are apples and oranges.  It's the results that count.  Many get excellent results as short yardage backs, while others grab yardage with speed, stealth, and versatility.  The ultimate package of all of the above was Jim Brown.  He was Ivory and Shady rolled into one.  Those who missed watching him play week after week (prior to the Bills the closest NFL franchise was the Browns and all their games were televised In Buffalo) missed the best football player ever.

100% agree. He was AMAZING! I didn’t see him play live but my parents were at SU when he was there and I’ve heard all the stories. 

I generally don’t have an issue with finesse runners but Shady seems to lose chunks of yards more times than not. I feel, behind this line, what’s needed is a straight line runner a’la Ivory. 

6 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Shady looks a step slower this season, and his tendency to lose yardage even in his prime will only get worse as he continues to age.  

I disagree. I don't think he has had much of a shot before last week. I don't see evidence of him being slower or less quick in his cuts, personally.

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

You must not have seen his TD run

I did, good run... but that was awful defense and a massive hole.  Doesn't really tell us much.  I said he lost a step not that he's complete trash..

I think you move on next year and get younger at the position.  His age doesn't lineup with when we will be contending at all.  Unless Allen is a God next yr.  

7 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Shady looks a step slower this season, and his tendency to lose yardage even in his prime will only get worse as he continues to age.  

This isn't true at all. If Shady played for Dallas he would be running all over the place. He lack of production is 100% our offense and not him. To conclude that Shady fell off a cliff this past offseason is shortsighted.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I did, good run... but that was awful defense and a massive hole.  Doesn't really tell us much.  I said he lost a step not that he's complete trash..

I think you move on next year and get younger at the position.  His age doesn't lineup with when we will be contending at all.  Unless Allen is a God next yr.  

I agree with this. I wouldnt mind getting Love from Stanford, his stock is dropping a bit so we might be able to steal him in the second or third round.

1 minute ago, Hot Buffalo Wings said:

This isn't true at all. If Shady played for Dallas he would be running all over the place. He lack of production is 100% our offense and not him. To conclude that Shady fell off a cliff this past offseason is shortsighted.

He derserves some of the blame. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

AP is rather quietly having a great year at age 33 with the Redskins. And their OL is a mess. Shady just turned 30... I know most of us are casting him aside after this year or next, but does he have a couple more years in him given what we are seeing from AP or is he just a freak?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/08/adrian-peterson-comeback-washington

Good question and good post. IMO I think AP and Shady are 2 totally different RBs. AP seems to hit the hole and go alot more than McCoy and he has great vision. McCoy sometimes dances a little too much, don't know how much difference it will effect him in 3 more years.

But AP is just one of those RBs that you really can't go wrong with, as far as McCoy having an off season, some of that is the Oline to blame. But he still tends to make silly decisions sometimes in which cost himself a lot of yards. So it really depends on the situation he is in if he is still a top RB in 3 more years, whether he is still in Buffalo or on some other team with a good OL.

I'll put this out there though, speaking for myself, I would rather have AP than McCoy if I had to choose. Not taking anything away fromMcCoy, both are great/good RBs, I just think AP seems to run better.

Personally I'm done with Shady.  I would like to see him gone for 2019.  He's good, not great.  Can't hit the hole, dances a lot to the sidelines and often gets tackled behind the LOS.  I want a younger, downhill bruiser of a RB next year.  And all this after he had a good game against Jets against a good defense.  Let's move on already.  I suspect 1BD feels the same way.

12 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Personally I'm done with Shady.  I would like to see him gone for 2019.  He's good, not great.  Can't hit the hole, dances a lot to the sidelines and often gets tackled behind the LOS.  I want a younger, downhill bruiser of a RB next year.  And all this after he had a good game against Jets against a good defense.  Let's move on already.  I suspect 1BD feels the same way.

LOL. ya theres been a ton of holes for him to run through this year.....?

28 minutes ago, billspro said:

I agree with this. I wouldnt mind getting Love from Stanford, his stock is dropping a bit so we might be able to steal him in the second or third round.

He derserves some of the blame

not nearly as much as the lack of talent in front of him or around him in general. 

6 hours ago, T master said:

Top backs in history that ran for 1000 yds after they turned 30 

Warrick Dunn - 05 & 06 - 30 & 31 yrs 

Franco Harris - 1983 - 32 yrs 

Ricky Waters - 1999 & 2000 - 30 & 31 yrs 

Fred Taylor - 06 & 07 - 30 & 31 yrs 

Curtis Martin - 03 & 04 - 30 & 31 yrs 

Tiki Barber - 05 & 06 - 30 & 31 yrs 

John Riggins - 1980-83-84 at 30-34&35 yrs

Emit Smith - 1999- 01 - at 30-31&32 yrs

Walter Payton - 1984-86 at 30-31&32 yrs

So i would think that shady could do some more damage al though this year might be a push seeing as they haven't been able to get him going to this point of the year but it is possible because Shady could be lumped into this group of backs as far as talent goes !! 

I was trying to think of who I remembered best paralleled Shady. Warrick Dunn came to mind as a shifter guy that’s not a bruiser or getting pounded. 

In January of 2008 Dunn turned 33.  That season he went on for almost 800 yds at 4.1 ypc and another 300 ypcatch too. 

LeSean has 2-3 more solid seasons left. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I suspect 1BD feels the same way.

Really?

Why didn’t they trade him then?

I expect that he is in the plans for next year and might be running behind an upgraded line by then..

Anyway.. let’s see how he plays these last 6 games this season ..

Edited by Aussie Joe