Theory about Raiders/Gruden

I believe that Gruden sees himself as smarter than everyone else. He's either going to prove that by building a winner with all of these picks or he is going down in a ball of flames, with my money being on the latter. 

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Refuse to pay one of the best pass rushers/defensive players in the NFL.  Trade of of the better young WR’s in the NFL.  Openly state that your franchise QB is “available” for trade.

Essentially they traded 2 proven assets for 2 first round draft picks which are not going to be guaranteed “hits.”

I think this is less about the best interest of he team, and more about making this Gruden’s team.  

Sounds like Gruden could use some serious Process consulting.

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sarcasm? Did you see the hockey team?

The hockey team had 4 players on the roster that I had heard of at the beginning of the season.  2 of which were nobodies that couldn't stick with the Sabres and didn't last long in Vegas.    Unless Fleury and James Neal are stars (hint: they aren't) that team had ZERO star power.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Are the Raiders boards in full on meltdown yet? At least we kinda expected not to be good this year, but I’m sure raider nation had a different expectation coming in, especially with Gruden singing the praises of the roster on his way in, while hiding a proverbial leaf blower behind his back. 

Yes they are. And in even further meltdown, Giants fans/boards.

All 3 teams (including Bills) in similar situations.

48 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Refuse to pay one of the best pass rushers/defensive players in the NFL.  Trade of of the better young WR’s in the NFL.  Openly state that your franchise QB is “available” for trade.

Essentially they traded 2 proven assets for 2 first round draft picks which are not going to be guaranteed “hits.”

I think this is less about the best interest of he team, and more about making this Gruden’s team.  

I like your ideas.   Do you have a newsletter to which I could subscribe?

I am one of the few who didn't mind the Mack or Cooper trade.  In Cooper they traded a possession receiver who has never caught more than seven touchdowns in a season, has suspect hands, and whose name is much larger than his actual output, getting a 1st for him was insane.

Mack is more of mystery, but if you can get two first round picks for a player who isnt a franchise quarterback go for it.   The guy is getting closer to thirty and was going to demand over twenty million a season.   He is a great player, who gets a ton of media hype, but I still dont see him as a Von Miller level player.

Gruden knows its a quarterback driven league.  You have to score points.  If he can take those three first round picks find a good wideout on a rookie contract, a good runningback and a decent right tackle he will have something.   He will be well off using the 65 million in cap space, and the three first round picks to build around Carr.   Mack and Cooper would have counted for about half of that cap space alone.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am one of the few who didn't mind the Mack or Cooper trade.  In Cooper they traded a possession receiver who has never caught more than seven touchdowns in a season, has suspect hands, and whose name is much larger than his actual output, getting a 1st for him was insane.

Mack is more of mystery, but if you can get two first round picks for a player who isnt a franchise quarterback go for it.   The guy is getting closer to thirty and was going to demand over twenty million a season.   He is a great player, who gets a ton of media hype, but I still dont see him as a Von Miller level player.

Gruden knows its a quarterback driven league.  You have to score points.  If he can take those three first round picks find a good wideout on a rookie contract, a good runningback and a decent right tackle he will have something.   He will be well off using the 65 million in cap space, and the three first round picks to build around Carr.   Mack and Cooper would have counted for about half of that cap space alone.

Carr? The guy who's supposedly on the trade block?

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

A few thoughts I had about the fire sale in Oakland. Might mean nothing. One, Gruden realizes he's bad. So if he essentially rebuilds the team with rookies, he guarentees himself another three years, because he has the built in excuse of being a young team. 

Another thought, again, might mean nothing. Basically getting rid of the stars, so that when the team moves to Las Vegas, it's like a whole new expansion team with brand new players. A marketing thing more than a football thing. 

Your initial theory is called graft isn't it?

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sarcasm? Did you see the hockey team?

Hockey is nice, but it's not the NFL.  And people will come out and see a winner.  Even in Vegas, the locals aren't going to shell out for a 2-14 team chock full of nobodies.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

...and after a 10 year hiatus, who the hell knows what THAT may be or does he even know?......the lipstick on his twin cheeks is his OWN even after 10 years.......too much money and too much power, a/k/a "The Davis Factor"......Reggie walks or gets canned, TBD lights up with "fire McBeane...hire Reggie" threads, and Bruce Allen bolts the Deadskins for Raiders job to reunite with Chuckie ala their Tampa days.....could be THE method to HIS madness.............

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes they are. And in even further meltdown, Giants fans/boards.

All 3 teams (including Bills) in similar situations.

It's quite a spectacle, really - didn't think it got worse than here to be completely honest.

I'd still take our dumpsterfire over both of their's fwiw.

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and after a 10 year hiatus, who the hell knows what THAT may be or does he even know?......the lipstick on his twin cheeks is his OWN even after 10 years.......too much money and too much power, a/k/a "The Davis Factor"......Reggie walks or gets canned, TBD lights up with "fire McBeane...hire Reggie" threads, and Bruce Allen bolts the Deadskins for Raiders job to reunite with Chuckie ala their Tampa days.....could be THE method to HIS madness.............

Nailed it - if this ship doesn't get righted and we don't see the franchise promised, you may want to archive that for when the first post comes out with that title.

Edited by ctk232

11 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

It's quite a spectacle, really - didn't think it got worse than here to be completely honest.

I'd still take our dumpsterfire over both of their's fwiw.

Nailed it - if this ship doesn't get righted and we don't see the franchise promised, you may want to archive that for when the first post comes out with that title.

...LOL bud......I just jokingly floated the "inevitable around these parts".....:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

he guarentees himself another three years, 

He didn’t need to play those games

1- guaranteed 10 yr deal

2- he was pulling 6.5mil a year from MNF

he wanted to coach again.  I think it’s just a matter of converting whatever the current roster offers into currency and building his own. 

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

A la Chip Kelly in Philly?

And you see how that went...

29 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He didn’t need to play those games

1- guaranteed 10 yr deal

2- he was pulling 6.5mil a year from MNF

he wanted to coach again.  I think it’s just a matter of converting whatever the current roster offers into currency and building his own. 

He uses the process too. 

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

A much more likely scenario is that Gruden has not forgiven the Davis family and Raiders for firing him all those years ago and this season he is exacting his calculated and painful revenge.

That would be awesome if this was some WWE style work revenge by Gruden and the Oakland fans, trying to screw over the Raiders and Davis for firing him before Nd now moving the team to Vegas

One day Gruden comes out for a press conference and rips of his shirt supporting some other team or against Vegas and Davis then announces that he did this all on purpose and screw you Davis! Then he chugs some beer and gives Davis a Stone Cold Stunner while pouring beer on him....