Media trying to get McDermott fired.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

McDermott is going nowhere.

This is, indeed, the  case.  He is not going anywhere. Regardless of what you think about him, the fact that he got the bills into the playoffs in and did the drought bought him, in my opinion, at least two years. This is not  to say if he ends up being a great coach or not. I don’t know if you will be but I have some confidence in him because he actually did get us to the playoffs!  He will not be fired this year or during the off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ummmm....got us out of salary cap hell.  Have had 2 very successful drafts....hitting on a couple late-round gems.  Accumulated 10 draft picks and counting for 2019.  Yeah, Beane and McDermott haven’t done anything.

The salary cap situation that McBeane inherited wasn't even disadvantageous..........let alone "salary cap hell.

Normal cases of over and underpaid players but A LOT of soon expiring contracts........no 8 figure fifth year option to deal with last year(EJ Manuel)........and only one in 2018(Watkins) and none in 2019(because of Watkins trade).

No real salary cap stress at all..........that's why they were able to create and eat so much dead money in 2018 and still have plenty of money to burn in FA............and hell guaranteeing Corey Coleman's contract was the financial "concern" equivalent of Beane lighting his cigar with handful of Pegula's hundreds.....and yet there is still someone selling "salary cap hell" excuses?:doh:

They aren't flush with cap room for the next two years because of something positive McBeane did.......they are flush because they inherited a team that projected to have a lot of money in 2018-2019-2020 and dealt or let a lot of players walk to create more space in 2019-2020.   Now there is nobody to pay until perhaps Dion Dawkins contract comes up.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He broke a 17 year playoff drought. 

I did not realize that Andy Dalton was our head coach.

I am sorry for my response, but every time I read that McCoach broke our playoff drought, I cannot help but think of:

1) Andy Dalton throwing that miracle 48 yard TD pass on fourth down;

2) The refs taking away the Colts' winning two point conversion on a late and controversial penalty that you hardly ever see called;

3) McCoach believing that Peterman was ready to start in the NFL against the Chargers - he not only lost the game with that decision, he also may have ruined whatever potential Peterman had to be a serviceable QB by starting him way before he was ready;

4) blow out losses;

5) a penalty for 15 men on the field at the same time;

6) a season point differential that was worse than the year before;

7) relative offensive and defensive rankings that also were worse than the year before.

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

No....but if we fill MOST of those gaps we actually will not know the difference because the play will be considerably improved.

For instance....if a quality LG and RG are inserted into the lineup.....whoever plays Center will not be a notible deficiency because it will be covered up.......

If we get a go to WR that can gain separateion and get mismatches...it will open it up for everyone else on the field

if we get TE that can catch a contested ball AND block for the run....our running game will look much improved.

Basically....get guys that can run Deboll's system.......they dont necessarily have to all be expensive free agents either....just guys that have the skills to actually run the damn thing

Woods did not want to stay here sir!  He wanted to go closer to home and when free agency came he bolted.  He was also playing with lingering injury issues two years in a row.

WIth Goodwin his heart for the game was questioned (by the way...he is not a primary receiver where he is at....would have def been our deep threat though)

Glenn had a lower body injury that lingered for 2 years......also a player I hated to see go but he was needed as a chip to moveup in the draft

Tyord is the epitome of letting go of 8 and 8 to be bad for a year but be better on the other side of it.

There are reasons why every single one of those players are not here....and the only way you keep them is to overpay them.

I can't agree with this. If your center is no good, it will show. If you only have 1 quality WR, the shortcomings at the position will show. You give too much credit for 'covering' for others. 11 men your side of the ball, you can't hide any of them.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

I can't agree with this. If your center is no good, it will show. If you only have 1 quality WR, the shortcomings at the position will show. You give too much credit for 'covering' for others. 11 men your side of the ball, you can't hide any of them.

We absolutely have done it before......Ryan Groy had to be benched this year because he was so bad.....he has actually looked good in relief in past years.....

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

I did not realize that Andy Dalton was our head coach.

I am sorry for my response, but every time I read that McCoach broke our playoff drought, I cannot help but think of:

1) Andy Dalton throwing that miracle 48 yard TD pass on fourth down;

2) The refs taking away the Colts' winning two point conversion on a late and controversial penalty that you hardly ever see called;

3) McCoach believing that Peterman was ready to start in the NFL against the Chargers - he not only lost the game with that decision, he also may have ruined whatever potential Peterman had to be a serviceable QB by starting him way before he was ready;

4) blow out losses;

5) a penalty for 15 men on the field at the same time;

6) a season point differential that was worse than the year before;

7) relative offensive and defensive rankings that also were worse than the year before.

And despite all that he got us to 9 wins.  A winning records, especially with the talent we had on this team, means that he is doing more things right than wrong.  

Here is the thing about coaching. Soooo much happens behind the scenes that fans cannot even begin to understand.  It's almost narcissistic to think that you can pick apart a handful of plays through the season and think you have a fair or reasonable understanding of what the coach is or isn't. 

In the end, he got us to the playoffs. Not Dalton.  McDermott.  Doing what he did for 16 weeks before Dalton's game winning pass.  Something the Bills haven't done in 17 years.  He gets some benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It always was......but I will continue to make the arguement in hopes you dont slit your wrists.....

We will need you when the team turns it around...:)

I'm not going anywhere, don't worry.  :)  Wrist slitting is no my style.  I do appreciate your concern though.

Go BILLS !!

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

I doubt he’ll get fired but I’m pretty sure he might the following season.  I don’t believe in him at all. 

24 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

And despite all that he got us to 9 wins.  A winning records, especially with the talent we had on this team, means that he is doing more things right than wrong.  

Here is the thing about coaching. Soooo much happens behind the scenes that fans cannot even begin to understand.  It's almost narcissistic to think that you can pick apart a handful of plays through the season and think you have a fair or reasonable understanding of what the coach is or isn't. 

In the end, he got us to the playoffs. Not Dalton.  McDermott.  Doing what he did for 16 weeks before Dalton's game winning pass.  Something the Bills haven't done in 17 years.  He gets some benefit of the doubt. 

I simply disagree. I said it a long time ago before this season even began:

Last season was a mirage.

McCoach simply does not fill me with confidence. Maybe things will change . . . including my view of him. Nevertheless, I am just not a big fan. 

I do believe, however, that he deserves more than two years though.  No coach should be fired in less than two years.  That would be ridiculous.

This is a good post and I couldn't agree more with what you've said.  I gave you the laughing face reaction just so you could hit for the cycle!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eanyills said:

What exactly has McBeane shown that gives you any confidence in the “long game?”

Playoffs in their first year of the rebuild. Flashes of excellence.... These dudes deserve some time, IMO. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

No....but if we fill MOST of those gaps we actually will not know the difference because the play will be considerably improved.

For instance....if a quality LG and RG are inserted into the lineup.....whoever plays Center will not be a notible deficiency because it will be covered up.......

If we get a go to WR that can gain separateion and get mismatches...it will open it up for everyone else on the field

if we get TE that can catch a contested ball AND block for the run....our running game will look much improved.

Basically....get guys that can run Deboll's system.......they dont necessarily have to all be expensive free agents either....just guys that have the skills to actually run the damn thing

Woods did not want to stay here sir!  He wanted to go closer to home and when free agency came he bolted.  He was also playing with lingering injury issues two years in a row.

WIth Goodwin his heart for the game was questioned (by the way...he is not a primary receiver where he is at....would have def been our deep threat though)

Glenn had a lower body injury that lingered for 2 years......also a player I hated to see go but he was needed as a chip to moveup in the draft

Tyord is the epitome of letting go of 8 and 8 to be bad for a year but be better on the other side of it.

There are reasons why every single one of those players are not here....and the only way you keep them is to overpay them.

I understand why they are not here.  But the man who let them go had no discernible plan for their absence.  Peterman?  AJM?  KB?  Foster? Coleman??

He created this roster.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

I don't think the "fire McDermott" crowd understands how desperately Terry & Kim want continuity. It doesn't matter that the Peterman situation was bungled or that a talent-poor team has taken some rough losses. They didn't fire Rex for going 8-8 - they HAD to fire him because his behavior was so embarassing. 

When McDermott was hired Terry talked about faith, family, character, etc. This is the guy they want. They are going to ride or die with him for a long time.

I find McDermott more embarrassing than sexy rexy 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I understand why they are not here.  But the man who let them go had no discernible plan for their absence.  Peterman?  AJM?  KB?  Foster? Coleman??

He created this roster.

Perhaps his plan was to field a team that would allow them better chances to fill those gaps in the draft?

Perhaps the plan was to have the resources needed to compete for free agents that not only help the team but fit the scheme and what they are trying to do here

Perhaps the plan was to concentrate on one side of the ball in one year and the other in the next year

Once again....all of these not undertandings have to do with them not doing in the way YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT.....so you focus on the flops along the way (of which there have been.....

AJM - didnt fit what they were trying to do here

Peterman....you dont give up on draft picks so easily.....he would simply not throw the one pass that he gets intercepted on week in and week out perhaps he would not have been so bad

Kelvin Benjamin was a player that had seen solid production earlier in his career

Colemen was a stab at a player (just like many teams took a stab with him) that had lots of potential but no heart

Every team has these flops......the problem is the bills simply are punting the offense to next year and taking the poo poo cap sandwich this year to do it THEIR way.....

I as a fan hate it....but I also understand that I need to see what next year looks like

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Perhaps his plan was to field a team that would allow them better chances to fill those gaps in the draft?

Perhaps the plan was to have the resources needed to compete for free agents that not only help the team but fit the scheme and what they are trying to do here

Perhaps the plan was to concentrate on one side of the ball in one year and the other in the next year

Once again....all of these not undertandings have to do with them not doing in the way YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT.....so you focus on the flops along the way (of which there have been.....

AJM - didnt fit what they were trying to do here

Peterman....you dont give up on draft picks so easily.....he would simply not throw the one pass that he gets intercepted on week in and week out perhaps he would not have been so bad

Kelvin Benjamin was a player that had seen solid production earlier in his career

Colemen was a stab at a player (just like many teams took a stab with him) that had lots of potential but no heart

Every team has these flops......the problem is the bills simply are punting the offense to next year and taking the poo poo cap sandwich this year to do it THEIR way.....

I as a fan hate it....but I also understand that I need to see what next year looks like

The offense is a flop in general.  And all of these flops happened since last season.

This isn't that hard to pan, John.  Though the direct actions of McD, because his 1st round draft pick is injured, an old retired QB is starting in week 8 on MNF against NE.  This was preventable.  So your giving him a pass because the offense has no talent makes absolutely no sense at all.  I just doesn't.

• Like (+1) 2

I want to have confidence in McBeane's ability to rebuild the roster, but I don't because of their head scratching personnel moves and lack of a plan at QB (both in terms of developing and mentoring Allen as well as the failure to sign an adequate back-up QB).  At this point, they have opened themselves up to second guessing and criticism, which I think is more than fair.  I assume that they will get at least through 2019 to straighten out this mess, but I understand the collective frustration and those that think they already should be on the hot seat.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They will be singing his praises when this team gets the offensive talent it needs next offseason.

McD got the team to the playoffs in his first year....he is not going ANNNNYYYYWHEEERE

Where exactly are you anticipating this talent is coming from?  Do you really have confidence in Allen?