Week 7: Colts Game Preparation - Josh Allen and Taiwan Jones Out with All Others Ready to Play on Sunday; TY Hilton Back with Ryan Grant Out

50 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

They can't keep Peterson on the roster next year and still say they are developing him. Once Allen is healthy he should be cut. Would rather Peterman be sent out there to sink or swim while Allen is out so this doesn't drag into next year. Also, prefer Anderson on the bench right next to Allen going over things during the game with him. I see no real benefit to Anderson playing other than possible mutiny within the team so I understand why decision had to be made.

IMO, the Bills are only a couple of steps from "mutiny" at present.  Allen's play the last two games sort of reminded me of JP Losman's struggles after he was named the starter at the beginning of the 2005 season -- repeating the same mistakes over and over again with few signs of improvement.   Mentoring Allen is the QB coach, Culley's, job, not the backup QB's, and especially not a street FA QB whose a couple of years removed from actually playing.  If they wanted a QB mentor for Allen, then they should have kept Taylor -- like the Jests (who aren't as much jests as they used to be) kept McCown. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Fans have been sold a bill of goods. The team was 9-7 last year and managed to make the playoffs. Improving the team enough to extract two more wins going forward ( 11-5 is a pretty solid record in the NFL year in and year out) was within their reach. They decided to take things unnecessarily downward. There is no rule book saying a team must scrape the depths in order to be perennial contenders. This FO has completely bungled the Bills. 

The strategy being to unload all the dead cap into 2018 in order to be free of “debt” going forward.

I don’t think that’s a terrible strategy, myself.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Believe what you want.  Make all the excuses you want. This is NOT about starting a rookie QB who is clearly not ready to be a starter, although that is something that McDermott is clearly guilty of as well.  It's also NOT about the starting QB getting hurt.

It's about McDermott stubbornly keeping Peterman on the team when he is simply not good enough to be a NFL QB, not even a backup.  The Bills shouldn't have wasted a fifth round pick on him in 2017, and he sure as hell shouldn't have been considered to be the starter in 2018 after his debacle as a starter in 2017.  That he "looked good" in preseason means nothing when teams don't game plan or scheme, and especially since he got the "softer" starting spots in the first and fourth preseason games IIRC since most teams don't play their starters much, if at all, in those games.

It's about McDermott and Beane trading away McCarron and not replacing him with a bonafide veteran QB until 5 weeks into the season because they apparently decided that Anderson was the only veteran QB worth pursuing  ... I'm guessing because he was the only FA QB out there with a Carolina connection.

The incompetence that McDermott's demonstrated with the QB situation underscores his unfitness to be a HC in the NFL in 2018 and in the future.   IMO, McDermott was close to losing the locker room even before Allen got hurt.  The ragged play on ST and the spate of pre-snap penalties on the offense against the Texans suggest that there was already a serious morale issue on the Bills -- and Peterman's latest performance may have been the nail in the coffin. 

Really feels like this is about something else, but okay, if you think he should be fired for this one thing then believe what you want, too.

I agree - I don't think Peterman belongs on our team, but he is because Logan Thomas will play behind Derek Anderson until Allen is healthy if not. At least, it's my hope that's the real reason he's still on the team.

It's about McDermott and Beane trading away McCarron and not replacing him with a bonafide veteran QB until 5 weeks into the season because they apparently decided that Anderson was the only veteran QB worth pursuing

AJM was not the guy they hired him to be - wasn't a good NFL QB and refused to mentor Allen. Not replacing him I can understand, and Anderson was targeted more in desperation as a result, but not because they thought he was the only viable option. It is highly likely, if not proven, that they called at least one other QB/agent, and it's also likely the Carolina connection helped motivate Anderson as he himself said he turned down another offer earlier in the season. Though recycling Carolina players during a rebuild year as known quantities isn't entirely illogical, I agree some of them were very suspect. (i.e. Tolbert, and now KB who was actually a great pick up last year, just not now). But none were meant to be permanent institutions (outside of KB), just known quantities filling a role while we built the roster out.

"demonstrated with the QB situation underscores his unfitness to be a HC in the NFL in 2018 and in the future"

Sooooo because of this one thing you think he is completely unfit as an HC? After coaching a team to their first playoff berth in 18 years in his first ever year as a head coach in the league, ever you think he's lost the locker room? He's a DC in his second year as HC - he isn't going to be bill belicheat in his first two years just as Allen wasn't going to be Brady. It's the second year of a rebuild. If all you're basing this on is poor ST play and pre-snap penalties than I'd love to see the causation there. The lack of morale might have something to do with the lack of offense, or just general poor play. No one is ever happy about losing, but it was going to happen this year - that should not have been nor should be a surprise.

IMO, McDermott was close to losing the locker room even before Allen got hurt.

Baseless? The only time "losing the locker room" was even mentioned was with Russini and playing Peterman. This was never even discussed before, much less mentioned. I think the in the moment, emotional responses from fans with misguided expectations for this year are the ones he's "lost" if anyone at all at this point. Again, if all you're basing this on is poor ST play and pre-snap penalties than I'd love to see the causation there. 

Just relax - it's not great by any means, but it's not nearly as terrible as the media is playing it out to be. If we see this next season, we can start to worry about what direction the rebuild is headed. But as far as I've seen they committed to rebuilding a defense which struggled early but is now showing life and signs of what was intended - guess what, they still aren't done developing the Defense. But now it's clear what they have on offense in terms of needs. It's a lot, but we have the capital to address a lot of pieces. It won't be turned around in one season either, but it has to, and imho will, look and be better than this team's offense.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

IMO, the Bills are only a couple of steps from "mutiny" at present.  Allen's play the last two games sort of reminded me of JP Losman's struggles after he was named the starter at the beginning of the 2005 season -- repeating the same mistakes over and over again with few signs of improvement.   Mentoring Allen is the QB coach, Culley's, job, not the backup QB's, and especially not a street FA QB whose a couple of years removed from actually playing.  If they wanted a QB mentor for Allen, then they should have kept Taylor -- like the Jests (who aren't as much jests as they used to be) kept McCown. 

I agree wholeheartedly with everything except the mutiny. I agree Peterman needs to go as much as the next guy, but still think this team plays for more than that.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Honestly I am starting feel that being competative but not winning is part of the plan this year.....I hate conspiricy takes but I am giving one.

The bills know that they are going to have to overpay for premium talent even though the will have the cap next year....and they want to biuld this team through the draft......

This entire offensive line needs to be revamped.....we have no number 1 or even a number 2 receiver......Shady is getting old......we have Josh Allen and nothing behind him.

Yes, the Bills literally need 7 or more new starters on offense. 

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The strategy being to unload all the dead cap into 2018 in order to be free of “debt” going forward.

I don’t think that’s a terrible strategy, myself.

Its a good strategy.

Salary structure is huge when creating  and keeping "good" culture. The bills salary cap was in manageable shape prior to beane but dumping bad contracts was a necessary evil.

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Peterman is there for if Anderson goes down - otherwise we're watching Logan Thomas. And the guy who was a first year head coach of the team that ended our 18 year playoff drought is on borrowed time? Not saying all his decisions have been great, but both McD and Beane have themselves more time than anything this year can change. This team this year was never going to win 8/9 games, everything is on track as far as rebuilds go. 

Could they have handled the QB situation better? Absolutely - but look at SF having to start Beathard now with Jimmy out, or way back starting Curtis Painter (or Dan Orlovsky?) when Peyton went down. Sure these examples have Jimmy and Peyton, which is infinitely better than Allen, but these things happen and it's not like it kept us out of a super bowl this year. In the grand scheme of things, the only time they begin to enter that question of job security is after next season when they've had a chance to rebuild the offense as well.

Agree and Nate appeared to take a huge leap forward in training camp and pre-season.  He gave the coaches and GM a reason to have some renewed confidence in him.  It's terrible that the Bills are where they are QB-wise right now.  Maybe Anderson will be the steady vet that they hope he will be. 

Frank Reich on Luck's Interceptions: "A Lot of Them Are Not on Him" (8:39)

Coach Frank Reich addresses the media Wednesday morning ahead of this Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills in regards to Andrew Luck's recent interceptions.

Andrew Luck on Trying to Reestablish a "Proud-Winning Culture" (8:53)

QB Andrew Luck addressed the media on Wednesday and talked about the team's winning culture when he first joined the Colts and about how the team needs to find that again. 

Wednesday Injury Report: Allen and Jones are Week to Week

qu5vukz69gupmzjzhhhm.jpg

Josh Allen’s injury will keep him out of this week’s game. Head coach Sean McDermott confirmed that at his Wednesday press conference. So how is the rookie quarterback dealing with the sprained elbow injury suffered in last week’s game?

“I feel good. I feel really good,” said Allen after taking in practice as a spectator.

Allen wore a brace on his right elbow that kept it from straightening all the way or bending much past 10 degrees.

“This is just to keep me from bending it or straightening it. It’s just precautionary to let it heal as fast as possible.”

45 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wednesday Injury Report: Allen and Jones are Week to Week

qu5vukz69gupmzjzhhhm.jpg

Josh Allen’s injury will keep him out of this week’s game. Head coach Sean McDermott confirmed that at his Wednesday press conference. So how is the rookie quarterback dealing with the sprained elbow injury suffered in last week’s game?

“I feel good. I feel really good,” said Allen after taking in practice as a spectator.

Allen wore a brace on his right elbow that kept it from straightening all the way or bending much past 10 degrees.

“This is just to keep me from bending it or straightening it. It’s just precautionary to let it heal as fast as possible.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 7: Colts Game Preparation - Derek Anderson Named Starting QB; Wednesday Injury Reports Released
On 10/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, SCBills said:

3rd ranked Defense in the NFL and 6.5 point dogs to the Colts.   If that isn't a slap in the face indication of how bad our Offense is...

The line is now 7.5 points. I wonder if it is the first time in NFL history that in Week 7 the team with the worse record has been more than a touchdown favorite over the team with the better record.

12 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Your still thinking playoffs?. I'm thinking draft and free agency.

I'm always thinking playoffs til we 're mathematically eliminated.

there will be plenty of time to think draft come January (or February ?).

3 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Agree and Nate appeared to take a huge leap forward in training camp and pre-season.  He gave the coaches and GM a reason to have some renewed confidence in him.  It's terrible that the Bills are where they are QB-wise right now.  Maybe Anderson will be the steady vet that they hope he will be. 

he looked like the same old Nat e to me.  Especially on the sideline pass like the Jax pick in one of the PS games, only the scrub DB didn't catch it.

Not to get political, but McDermott could take some advice from W.

T.Y. Hilton: "Must Win Game, So I've Got to Be Out There" (2:30)

WR T.Y. Hilton addressed the media on Wednesday and said he is doing everything he can to get back and help his team Sunday.

Adam Vinatieri on Approaching the NFL All-Time Scoring Record (6:26)

Kicker Adam Vinatieri addressed the media on Wednesday and discussed being 10 points shy of the NFL all-time scoring record, but says he just wants to go out and focus on getting some wins.

Dontrelle Inman's Mindset After Joining Colts: "Try to be the Standard, No Matter What I Do" (0:54)

WR Dontrelle Inman addressed the media Wednesday and talked about getting an opportunity with the Colts and how he now has to make the most of it.

Colts' alarming rate of drops is past the point of being a 'fluke'

Mike Wells ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- This is not an isolated issue that's directed at just one or two players for the Indianapolis Colts. The case of dropped passes has become contagious to the entire group of receivers, tight ends and even the running backs.

That's only the receivers.

There have been drops -- bad drops -- by tight end Eric Ebron and running backs Nyheim Hines and Marlon Mack.

It's reached the point now where you're no longer surprised when a drop happens. It's almost expected.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 10/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mike Wells - ESPN
Chris Ballard's focus on building through the draft and not spending for veteran talent has produced a young, mistake-prone team off to a 1-5 start.

Get the funny feeling they get a big boost this weekend, here comes SD Jones

What They're Saying: Derek Anderson: 'I'm fully committed to it'

dmktdjh7rzzaf6vjn4mu.jpg

1 - Derek Anderson: ‘I’m fully committed to it’

2 - Nathan Peterman on learning from Anderson

3 - LeSean McCoy wants offense to ‘help [Anderson] out’

4 - Kelvin Benjamin: ‘He can just go out and play ball’

5 - Micah Hyde talks about preparing for Andrew Luck

Bills Week 7 Practice Photos

bgfd52cwgr2at5ps0ezb.jpg

We actually match up really well with the Colts. The only real way they can hurt you is if Luck has time in the pocket and his receivers actually hold onto the ball. But our pass D is excellent, in large part because our pass rush has been so good as of late. 

I predict a throwback game from Shady this week. 

CBS Sports Week 7 Expert Picks

NFL Picks - Straight Up - Week 7

NFL Picks - Against the Spread - Week 7

1zzri14.jpg

fcmwzp.jpg

2cg21k0.jpg

538.com NFL Week Seven Game Picks

10hj02c.jpg

Fox Sports Bills vs. Colts Prediction

wjyog8.jpg

1 p.m. ET (CBS) | Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)

Bad news for fans of interceptions: The Bills are starting Derek Anderson in place of Nathan Peterman, a true master of the art who introduced the across-the-body late throw over the middle to his repertoire last week. There is still hope for some pick-related fireworks, however; Colts receivers react like Andrew Luck is delivering changeups ... or at least, their hands do. Still, look for Indy to prevail. Luck's mobility and pocket awareness will be the key factor against a frenetic Bills pass rush. The Colts have lost all but one of their games, yet they've been at their opponent's doorstep in the fourth quarter every time out. The Bills simply won't feature enough offense to do the same, even with the presumably steadier hand of Anderson at the till. The 35-year-old hasn't posted a passer rating of 90 or better in a start since December of 2014.

Tedy Bruschi and Darren Woodson explain their picks for the Week 7 matchup between the Bills and Colts.

Here are some of the expert picks for the Week 7 matchup between the Colts and Bills:

Expert Pick
Nate Davis (USA TODAY) Colts
Mike Jones (USA TODAY) Colts
Mike Golic (ESPN) Colts
Mina Kimes (ESPN) Colts
Dan Graziano (ESPN) Colts
Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) Colts
Dave Richard (CBS Sports) Colts
David Steele (Sporting News) Colts
NumberFire Colts
Pro Football Focus Colts

NFL Picks and Predictions for Week 7 - National Football League - ESPN

2ceno15.jpg

24x2tci.jpg

Week 7 NFL score predictions: A guide to best games, more

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Bills (2-4) at Colts (1-5): 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Point spread: IND -7.5 | Matchup quality: 32.7 (of 100)

Mike Rodak's pick: This game has the potential to be sloppy between two teams that rank in the top six in turnovers lost and in the top nine in turnovers forced. It seems reasonable to lean in the direction of Andrew Luck over Derek Andersonand in favor of the home team. But one bounce the Bills' way could change the outcome. Colts 17, Bills 14

Mike Wells' pick: The Colts are off to their worst start since the 2011 season. The only positive outside of Luck's play this season is that they could have receiver T.Y. Hilton (hamstring) back for the first time since Week 4. Hilton's return will help a group that has 13 drops in the past three games. Scoring will be tough, as Buffalo is ranked 10th in total defense. Colts 17, Bills 10

FPI win projection: IND, 79.5 percent. The Colts are the biggest favorite of the week, according to FPI, but they might not put up points on offense the way they have over the past few weeks. Luck's three-game streak of 300-plus yards and three touchdown passes could come to an end, as the Bills' under-the-radar defense ranks fourth in defensive efficiency.

Week 7 Betting Info and Game Picks from SI/MMQB:

Ultimate betting guide for every Week 7 NFL game :

SI Week 7 NFL Betting Guide PDF

Week 7 NFL Picks: Who will win Cardinals-Broncos?

nfl-week-7-su-staff-picks.jpg&w=700&q=85

NFL Week 7 against the spread gambling picks

nfl-week-7-ats-staff-picks_0.jpg&w=800&q

PFT’s Week Seven picks

Bills at Colts

MDS’s take: Andrew Luck is rounding into form after his shoulder injury, while the Bills’ quarterback situation is a mess.
MDS’s pick: Colts 24, Bills 6.

Florio’s take: If the Colts lose to Derek Anderson, they should just disband the team.
Florio’s pick: Colts 23, Bills 7.

SB Nation Week 7 Picks

Games RVB Stephen White Geoff Schwartz Charles McDonald Adam Stites Christian D'Andrea Jason Marcum Coin flip OddsShark computer
BUF vs IND IND BUF IND BUF IND IND IND IND IND

USA TODAY Sports' Week 7 NFL picks: Will Cowboys or Redskins wind up atop NFC East standings?

fuqnvthkngijfjg9wnv6.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10-17: Colts Reporter Kevin Bowen  on WGR (11:36)

Getting what we need to know on the Colts now with @KBowen1070 who joins Schopp & the Bulldog!

Bowen - They're pass to run balanced has been about 70-30 pass over run. There's been no issues with Andrew Luck and his arm strength.

Bowen - They stayed with the run in Marlon Mack's first game, even down two and three scores. Frank Reich is a big Mack fan. The Colts were using two rookies early in the season.

Bowen - Expect a heavy dose of Marlon Mack early on, going up against one of the better defenses in the NFL in Buffalo.

Bowen on Frank Reich - Fans like him, a big reason is they really hate Josh McDaniels. What fans have appreciated is his aggressive nature and his innovative, creative mind offensively.

Bowen on TY Hilton - He knows he needs to be back out there. You practice full on a Wednesday, usually that means you'll be ready to go.

Bowen on the Colts getting talent around Luck - I think they have to. The biggest gripe of fans is they didn't do enough in free agency. It's not a scary roster outside of the first three or four names. They started the cheapest defense in Week 6, Sam Darnold carved them up.

Bowen - It's kinda a three year rebuild. They expect to be around sixish wins this year. After that, they should start to get back to what they were pre-Luck injury. AFC Championships, maybe getting to Super Bowls.

Bowen also appears in the following YouTube video previewing the game with Matt Parrino: