Derek Anderson signed; Peterman QB2 week 6; Anderson Presser

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You. Gave. One. Good. Example. Mettenberg. And in that situation they had a young offensive minded HC who was in charge of grooming Mariota. I said it's virtually done everywhere. Which it is. There are dozens and dozens of examples of it over dozens of years. It's done and known by "virtually" everyone. Which it was brought up as an aberration and a ridiculously stupid one when the Bills didn't do it and started the season with only Nate. I would imagine you piped in with how crazy it was. 

I mentioned most of the young Rookie QBs who were recently drafted/started over the past few years alone where the teams did not bring in a veteran Qb to mentor the rookie.  It's rarely happens, and it is the actual topic of this discussion. 

You responded that those teams already had "veteran" QBs  on the rosters, which, maybe other than McKown, was completely beside the point you were trying to make.

Edited by Mr. WEO

46 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't believe either Daboll or David Culley have ever played QB in the NFL so I think there is a lot a guy that has seen things from that same perspective behind the line can teach a young QB.

Then get a QB coach and save the roster spot for a player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

They did need someone else for back up QB unless you wanted to leave that to Peterman. So I seriously don't get the issue with getting a guy that can also help them in another important area.

1 hour ago, transient said:

Well we don’t have the luxury of watching Anderson choke away any chance of starting during the preseason so we’ll never get the chance to do a true side by side comparison. 

No but we did see him manage a come from behind win in Chicago pre-season.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Yes his 47 starts is totally comparable to McCarron's 3. Or the fact that he has experience filling out a similar role in his 7 years at Carolina which happens to be 3 years longer than McCarron has even been in the league.

I'm afraid we are going to live or die with ex-Carolina players.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I mentioned most of the young Rookie QBs who were recently drafted/started over the past few years alone where the teams did not bring in a veteran Qb to mentor the rookie.  It's rarely happens, and it is the actual topic of this discussion. 

You responded that those teams already had "veteran" QBs  on the rosters, which, maybe other than McKown, was completely beside the point you were trying to make.

No. It’s exactly the point and you know it. You argue just to argue. Of course no one brings in a veteran to mentor a rookie IF THEY ALREADY HAVE ONE. The point is obviously virtually everyone has one. If you don’t you bring one in. See how that works? 

I think the John Clayton conversation was merged somewhere in this mess of a thread.

John Clayton was on today with Schopp and Bulldog doing his weekly spot.

He called for playing Anderson not immediately, but once he has had time to absorb the play book.  Maybe in a couple of weeks or something like that. 

It was brought up that Allen is near the bottom of the league in all passer ratings.  Clayton thinks he develops better from a watching position, not a playing position right now.  Clayton is suggesting that we will "break" Allen if he continues to start as he is just not ready right now. 

Here's the link to the 21 minute interview:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-10-john-clayton-schopp-bulldog

Edited by Fadingpain

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This guy had one good year in Cleveland and has been hot garbage ever since. We should've went with Matt Moore.

Matt Moore was equally hot garbage in every gane he didn't come off the bench in or that occurred after his first game started.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Matt Moore was equally hot garbage in every gane he didn't come off the bench in or that occurred after his first game started.

You obviously missed all those Miami games where he  surgically dissected the Bills defense like Drew Brees.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Just a guess but maybe he didn't want to come earlier when it looked like they were going to sit Allen behind a Vet. I mean everyone on here was predicting a pretty substantial beating for whoever got put out there first.

Fair guess.

: )

and yes i was one of those predictors . some one was going to have a rough time !

1 hour ago, vincec said:

Peterman perhaps ?

I fully expect Anderson will be starting games if Allen continues to struggle.  It might be a good move it might not for Allen.  Honestly Anderson is pretty much trash, so I doubt it will help our offensive suckiness, but I'm willing to bet the coaches will try it...

We are producing at a historic ineptness level on offense, averaging 3.6 Yards per play, dead last in the NFL...to even move up to 29th place, we have to get to 5.0 Yards per play, a humongous 1.4 Yard gap...that is utter ridiculousness.

Edited by matter2003

11 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You obviously missed all those Miami games where he  surgically dissected the Bills defense like Drew Brees.

Pretty much exactly what I said...games where he came off the bench he was good...even in his first start he was good...he sucked when he had to start for extended periods of time, which is what separates backup QBs from starters in the NFL...how do they perform once tendencies are on tape and DC's can gameplan you to take away your strengths.

The starters adjust and still play well, the backups cannot adjust either due to physical or mental limitations and end up sucking with any extended action. Pretty much what we saw here for years with Fitz.

Edited by matter2003

This is Allens team. Anderson is here purely to be a mentor. Taking the kid out of the lineup would make me lose my trust in McBeane. 

I hear what you’re saying but you can’t make the switch, you just can’t. Ride out the tough times. 

31 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

No but we did see him manage a come from behind win in Chicago pre-season.

Despite his rousing game speech about football glory, I doubt even he’d list a preseason game in which, for 3 quarters, he was the worst player on a field of next week’s practice squad players, CFL players, and former camp fodder as a notable achievement. After 3 seasons and 4 NFL starts he should have been so much better than the soon-to-be former Bears that it was demoralizing to them. 

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Pretty much exactly what I said...games where he came off the bench he was good...even in his first start he was good...he sucked when he had to start for extended periods of time, which is what separates backup QBs from starters in the NFL...how do they perform once tendencies are on tape and DC's can gameplan you to take away your strengths.

The starters adjust and still play well, the backups cannot adjust either due to physical or mental limitations and end up sucking with any extended action. Pretty much what we saw here for years with Fitz.

Well coming off the bench is kind of a backup quarterback's job, no?

21 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Well coming off the bench is kind of a backup quarterback's job, no?

It is but everyone pretty much knows with few exceptions no backup QB will win more than 5 or 6 games over a course of an NFL season if forced to play the whole year.