Harrison Phillips - Why Does Joe B Rate Him So Well?

I am reading Joe B’s colum today ranking all of the Bills.  Surprisingly he has Harrison Phillips ranked very high against GB and he’s one of the top rated players for the Bills so far this season.

I have to say I’ve seen all 4 games in 2018 and really have yet to notice Harrison making a difference.  Can someone explain why Joe rates him so high?  Because I’m not seeing it on the field or in the stats.

Maybe he’s keeping linemen off of the LB’s?

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-buffalo-bills-all-22-review-week-4-vs-green-bay-packers

14 minutes ago, billspro said:

Most people are rating him high. I think we will see him as the three tech more often from here on out, I expect him to make some big plays going forward.

Based on what? He has had, what, one sack? I agree with the OP. I can’t speak towards his overall value but as far as his big play potential, I’m not sure where you’re getting that idea from. 

Harry's Madden Rating has gone from 70 overall to 72 since opening day. T Johnson has also seen a +2 jump (68 --> 70).Meanwhile, our 2 first rounders have both dropped a point. Allen is now a 73 and Edmunds is a 74.

K Benjaman has had the biggest drop from 84 down to 81. Hughes and Lorenzo have been bumped up by +2 (85 & 80, respectively). Others that have dropped by -2 are K Williams (80) & J Poyer (85). The OL has dropped slightly, but was very poorly rated to begin with. Dawkins, on the other hand, has received a +1 boost(78).

10 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Harry's Madden Rating has gone from 70 overall to 72 since opening day. T Johnson has also seen a +2 jump (68 --> 70).Meanwhile, our 2 first rounders have both dropped a point. Allen is now a 73 and Edmunds is a 74.

K Benjaman has had the biggest drop from 84 down to 81. Hughes and Lorenzo have been bumped up by +2 (85 & 80, respectively). Others that have dropped by -2 are K Williams (80) & J Poyer (85). The OL has dropped slightly, but was very poorly rated to begin with. Dawkins, on the other hand, has received a +1 boost(78).

Is that in Madden?

1 hour ago, OJ Tom said:

So who rates as crap, cuz the defense hasn't been very good. 

Defense has been better since half time of  week 2. They didn't play too bad last week despite having an offense that looked like it was trying to go three and out at times. 

As for who hasn't been good.... the worrying news is our big defensive FA signings and our first round draft pick on that side of the ball have been three of the least effective players on defense. 

3 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

So who rates as crap, cuz the defense hasn't been very good. 

Anything in the mid 70's or lower is a weak spot. On D that includes all CB's other than TW, all backups, all LB's and Lotulelei. At least they are still all below 80.Kyle is an 80 and dropping. T Murphy is an 81. Hyde, Poyer and White are also dropping, but still OK. Hyde has dropped from 92 to 91 and is the only 90+ player on the roster. Shady has dropped 90 to 88 and Ivory has dropped 80 to 79. Lotulelei has come up 75 to 76. Our starting OL is 77, 75, 68, 73, 71. That's really bad. Groy(68) shouldn't even be on an NFL roster and Bodine is also a 68. Mills is the 71. Ducasse is the 75. Miller is 73.

16 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Joe B. is the same guy who had Matt Milano on the bubble at cut-down day. Take it (and anything he says) with a grain of salt. 

You sure about that? He's a big fan of Milano. In almost each post-game column he's written this season that Ramon Humber needs to stay on the sidelines so Milano can get as many snaps as possible. 

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Had to dig deep to find any Harrison Phillips threads.  Seems like he has been playing fewer snaps as the season wears on, instead of more.  Is he hurt, or just getting squeezed out since the Bills added Jordan Phillips?

I have nowhere near the knowledge of a lot of posters here but I don’t recall really noticing Harrison at all this year....That is concerning to these simple eyes at least...I remember Kyle making plays even as a rookie with a higher draft pick DT getting more snaps 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I have nowhere near the knowledge of a lot of posters here but I don’t recall really noticing Harrison at all this year....That is concerning to these simple eyes at least...I remember Kyle making plays even as a rookie with a higher draft pick DT getting more snaps 

In fairness that same Kyle Williams is IMO playing the best season he has had since Mario was here and part of the "WWMD" moniker. The other DT's Jordan Phillips has played great IMO and Star is there to be the: "hole plugger double teamer taker on-er." Harrison Phillips just seems like the odd man out since we acquired Jordan Phillips, which is fine I dont think they drafted Harrison to start Day 1, I think the plan was always for him to hopefully replace KW when his time finally comes (which may be never, I dunno guy seems to be getting younger somehow).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Star doesn’t have a lot of stats, but I assure you he’s making a difference.  Cloggers job opens things up for others to make plays. They are unsung hero’s.  We see him as the heir apparent to Kyle, but he’s been rotating in for Star much more.  

He’s not being asked to be a stat guy right now, but is doing well for what he’s told.  The rest will come 

• Thank you (+1) 4

On 10/5/2018 at 1:49 AM, GreggTX said:

How does KB have a 81 in Madden????? He should have a 57 in catching and a 67 in speed. 

8 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Had to dig deep to find any Harrison Phillips threads.  Seems like he has been playing fewer snaps as the season wears on, instead of more.  Is he hurt, or just getting squeezed out since the Bills added Jordan Phillips?

He's been pretty consistent with snaps all year.   About 25 plays per game and had 25 plays yesterday.

image.thumb.png.f528ffcca180105e61f76dd30d519420.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Also per @Virgil - it's partly due to the roster and him being a third round rookie. But in the rotation he's been rotating in at one-tech for star, primarily on passing downs from what I've seen but it may not be based along those lines. He's been eating up the middle double teams and filling those roles well. Same reason you don't "notice" star making plays, but I can promise you he's out there making a difference. For a third round rookie DT, he's playing to his pick level at present - don't let our 5th round hits sway your assessment of roi pick investment, those have been unicorn finds.

I haven't honestly seen him in the run game to say whether his role for now is fitting more toward pass rush, run stop, or both. He's been lining up at the one-tech right now, and I wonder if McD is looking to see him get more penetration in pass rush to assess where he'll fit in along the line. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 10/4/2018 at 9:21 PM, GreatComeback said:

I am reading Joe B’s colum today ranking all of the Bills.  Surprisingly he has Harrison Phillips ranked very high against GB and he’s one of the top rated players for the Bills so far this season.

I have to say I’ve seen all 4 games in 2018 and really have yet to notice Harrison making a difference.  Can someone explain why Joe rates him so high?  Because I’m not seeing it on the field or in the stats.

Maybe he’s keeping linemen off of the LB’s?

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-buffalo-bills-all-22-review-week-4-vs-green-bay-packers

Jordan Phillips has made more solid plays than Harrison...Joe's not paying attention very well.