Would Buffalo Support an NBA Team?

35 minutes ago, bbb said:

He actually got traded to the Knicks before the crazy trade of franchises............Unfortunately, they didn't have full houses - except for the really big games. 

Not many teams in those days packed the house for every game.

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buffalo can't support any more major league franchises because the region doesn't have the revenue to do so. But you do have a couple of pretty good college teams in the area.

Agree. Remember Pilot Field was built so they could add another deck and then MLB went crazy and gave two teams to Florida. I truly believe even now Buffalo would outdraw Tampa and Miami

14 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

As a person who has lived in four cities with an NBA team (including now), it loses its allure really quick. NBA games are boring. They're slow. People are texting and talking among themselves in the crowd. Sure it's exciting when Lebron comes to town or Westbrook comes to town, but there are a lot more games where they don't come to town. Where it's just the Knicks or the Magic or the Bucks. Slogs in January that you have to get through. Be lucky we have hockey. It's the far superior 82-game spectator sport.

Edit: I forgot to add that they play music during play. It's so unsettling. Like manufactured fun. You need a guy on the mic say D  FENCE! And sound effect clapping. This should be organic.  

NBA games are boring and slow? OKAY?   I guess I ‘m lucky to have the Warriors as one of my local teams. They are a lot of fun to watch with their style of play.  I’ve always just liked basketball but really enjoy when there’s unselfish passing.  I really enjoyed watching the Larry Bird Celtics, too.

I’ll admit though, in comparison, when I watch the Sacramento Kings, it’s just like 10 guys playing basketball.  

10 minutes ago, Degenerate Mike in HHDS said:

Not many teams in those days packed the house for every game.

Agree. Remember Pilot Field was built so they could add another deck and then MLB went crazy and gave two teams to Florida. I truly believe even now Buffalo would outdraw Tampa and Miami

...pretty sure they count flies and mosquitoes in their attendance numbers...........

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

As a person who has lived in four cities with an NBA team (including now), it loses its allure really quick. NBA games are boring. They're slow. People are texting and talking among themselves in the crowd. Sure it's exciting when Lebron comes to town or Westbrook comes to town, but there are a lot more games where they don't come to town. Where it's just the Knicks or the Magic or the Bucks. Slogs in January that you have to get through. Be lucky we have hockey. It's the far superior 82-game spectator sport.

Edit: I forgot to add that they play music during play. It's so unsettling. Like manufactured fun. You need a guy on the mic say D  FENCE! And sound effect clapping. This should be organic.  

I went to a Warriors playoff game last year.....and it was still boring.  It was only barely worth the 45 minute drive to go for free and sit in a sky box w/ food, beer and some good guys to talk with;  I'd probably turn it down if invited again.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I’m a Raptors fan. We the North! 

The Raptors should play a game in Buffalo just like the Bills did in Toronto. 

While I highly dislike all sports things Toronto, I feel like this is a no-brainer. Even if it’s just a preseason game.

Also, they should do a Blue Jays regular season game/homestand at Coca-Cola field, now that there’s the official affiliation.  1/4 full RogerDome or a jam-packed Coca-Cola field for say a W/Th/F set in May? The aesthetic would be amazing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As a fanbase, I'm sure they would for a while.  As a city, I don't think Buffalo could sustain a 3rd team.  With fans pouring most of there money into the sabres and bills I don't know how long or how many people would be willing to spend on all 3.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the entertainment dollars here are stretched thin with the sabres.  

I think they would need to depend on the same exact people who currently plop down $2-$5k on sabres tickets, to plop down the same amount, for 41 more dates, in the same season.  

I do think it would get very strong support in Rochester.  

Imo an mlb team would be better supported (than nba) because it is opposite season, and people like to be outside in buffalo in the summer.

Edited by May Day 10

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Really??? When was that?

From wiki:

Because the Braves only had third choice of dates (behind the Sabres and Canisius College) at the auditorium, from 1971–75, the Braves were forced to play a total of 16 home games at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto; in addition to alleviating the auditorium's scheduling issues, the Braves also played internationally in the hopes of expanding their fan base beyond Western New York and into the Greater Toronto Area[5] (a similar strategy was employed by the National Football League (NFL)'s Buffalo Bills from 2008 until 2013).[6]

1 hour ago, Idandria said:

They can pack the Carrier dome in Syracuse during basketball season. It’s not uncommon to have 25k-30k fans there. I know the college basketball season is shorter, but Syracuse does a good job supporting the Orange. 

College v Pros a completely different model. By that logic, let’s put NFL teams in Tuscaloosa, AL and State College, PA. 

I think the average sports fan in WNY would support an NBA team.

The region can't economically support a new major league sports franchise though, and will never get another one again.

So it's kind of a moot point.

58 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

NBA games are boring and slow? OKAY?   I guess I ‘m lucky to have the Warriors as one of my local teams. They are a lot of fun to watch with their style of play.  I’ve always just liked basketball but really enjoy when there’s unselfish passing.  I really enjoyed watching the Larry Bird Celtics, too.

I’ll admit though, in comparison, when I watch the Sacramento Kings, it’s just like 10 guys playing basketball.  

Uh, yeah, I'd say you are lucky to have one of the most offensively gifted teams in NBA history. 

2 hours ago, bbb said:

He actually got traded to the Knicks before the crazy trade of franchises............Unfortunately, they didn't have full houses - except for the really big games. 

Braves had a great thing going for a few years with McAdoo and Randy Smith and Jim McMillian and Jack Marin and Ernie D

They were never going to take out the Celtics or Bullets in the playoffs but played strong 

i went to 8 games in Toronto, they’d send the best teams up here as well, saw Boston twice  at Maple Leaf Gardens

then it was over in a flash with McAdoo heading off to disappointment with the Knicks, Clyde and Pearl were old and Haywood was tripping balls 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd support them, but then again I'm an NBA fan. WNY doesn't have a lot of NBA fans as evidenced by this thread. I'd watch an NBA game over a hockey game any day of the week.

Just my preference. Hockey is a bunch of guys flying around until someone accidentally scores. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Seattle making a bid for NHL expansion team

Have not lived there for 15 years but where would they play?  Seattle Center has always been very "AUD" like, and that's one of the reasons that the Sonics left.

I remember the Sonics played in the Kingdome for a couple of years.  It was a disaster but they had cheap seats, and FX's right across the street.  Good times!