Would Buffalo Support an NBA Team?

1 minute ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Have not lived there for 15 years but where would they play?  Seattle Center has always been very "AUD" like, and that's one of the reasons that the Sonics left.

I remember the Sonics played in the Kingdome for a couple of years.  It was a disaster but they had cheap seats, and FX's right across the street.  Good times!

I think they're doing a huge renovation on the Key Bank Center or whatever it's called. 

1 minute ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Have not lived there for 15 years but where would they play?  Seattle Center has always been very "AUD" like, and that's one of the reasons that the Sonics left.

I remember the Sonics played in the Kingdome for a couple of years.  It was a disaster but they had cheap seats, and FX's right across the street.  Good times!

There is an active plan to rebuild seattle center

3 hours ago, tbarg12 said:

They supported the Braves until they went to San Diego and became the Clippers. 

I think Seattle would get a NBA team before Buffalo though unfortunately. 

My family split season tix with someone else for the Braves. I actually loved it back then. I won’t watch the NBA on TV before the playoffs now, much less pay to go see them. But it was AWESOME back in the day. 

33 minutes ago, bbb said:

I think they're doing a huge renovation on the Key Bank Center or whatever it's called. 

OK, that's a building built for the World's Fair in 1961.  If Buffalo ever tried that, we'd be called; shortsighted,  cheap etc etc..  Unless the renovation includes a much larger footprint, space will always be a problem.  A NHL size rink would be questionable.  Parking is not very good either.  You have to compete with all the people who live near there.

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

My family split season tix with someone else for the Braves. I actually loved it back then. I won’t watch the NBA on TV before the playoffs now, much less pay to go see them. But it was AWESOME back in the day. 

My dad always told me about McAdoo and would tell me stories of going to Braves games in the Aud. I have seen a few games on NBA TV and have enjoyed visually seeing what he always told me.

5 minutes ago, tbarg12 said:

My dad always told me about McAdoo and would tell me stories of going to Braves games in the Aud. I have seen a few games on NBA TV and have enjoyed visually seeing what he always told me.

It really was awesome! They put together a great team, but getting through the Celtics was.....a legendary battle to overcome. My sister used to baby sit for Bob Kauffman who lived right by us. I used to see him at our neighborhood hoop just being a cool guy. Once jumped off a garage roof into a snowdrift only to find his toy Volkswagen bug underneath. OOPS! 

McAdoo, Randy Smith, Ernie D, Jim McMillan, Gar Heard, Moses Malone briefly....so many great players came thru back when the NBA was fun to go to. Took the kids to games while traveling if they behaved. My AAU playing son turned to me at an early season game in Charlotte once about 3 minutes in and said “they’re not even trying!” BINGO! 

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

OK, that's a building built for the World's Fair in 1961.  If Buffalo ever tried that, we'd be called; shortsighted,  cheap etc etc..  Unless the renovation includes a much larger footprint, space will always be a problem.  A NHL size rink would be questionable.  Parking is not very good either.  You have to compete with all the people who live near there.

This is today's news:

The executive committee meeting was the last hurdle before the final vote for NHL Seattle, the group bidding for an expansion team. On Sept. 24, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved a $700 million renovation of KeyArena, the current home of the WNBA's Seattle Storm and the former one of the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics, who relocated to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder in 2008.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-seattle-expansion-moves-closer-011533093.html

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It really was awesome! They put together a great team, but getting through the Celtics was.....a legendary battle to overcome. My sister used to baby sit for Bob Kauffman who lived right by us. I used to see him at our neighborhood hoop just being a cool guy. Once jumped off a garage roof into a snowdrift only to find his toy Volkswagen bug underneath. OOPS! 

McAdoo, Randy Smith, Ernie D, Jim McMillan, Gar Heard, Moses Malone briefly....so many great players came thru back when the NBA was fun to go to. Took the kids to games while traveling if they behaved. My AAU playing son turned to me at an early season game in Charlotte once about 3 minutes in and said “they’re not even trying!” BINGO! 

It really looks to me like they are going like 85%, whereas college players' body language is 100%

5 hours ago, teef said:

this would probably be the only way i get into the NBA.

It's the only reason why I left following NBA.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

What ransom would Toronto demand for a competitor in its territory 

People from Toronto come slumming in BFLo for the over flow and bang for buck.  Not the other way around.

Like the Bucks-Bulls, Cubs-Brewers.

29 minutes ago, bbb said:

This is today's news:

The executive committee meeting was the last hurdle before the final vote for NHL Seattle, the group bidding for an expansion team. On Sept. 24, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved a $700 million renovation of KeyArena, the current home of the WNBA's Seattle Storm and the former one of the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics, who relocated to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder in 2008.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-seattle-expansion-moves-closer-011533093.html

It really looks to me like they are going like 85%, whereas college players' body language is 100%

Well they blew up the Kingdome in 2000, and didn't finish paying it off till 2015.   So why not come up with $700 million to "renovate" a 57 year old "temporary" building?   Politicians and marijuana definitely do not mix!  This would be lunacy if anything similar was proposed in WNY. 

The NBA is a machine and by far the best run league. That is why they have closed the gap on the NFL. It’s a global game that’s filled with drama. Buffalo would support any pro sport team. We love sports.

With that being said today’s Hollywood, superstar-driven NBA doesn’t fit in real well with Buffalo’s desire to be blue-collar underdogs. We’d be the only fan base that would rather have Joe Ingles than LeBron James. Also, I don’t see people forking over $1k plus per ticket, per game for 40+ nights. That’s the floor seat costs in the most markets. I don’t think anyone is under $50K a pair for feet on the wood. It just isn’t a good fit. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

College v Pros a completely different model. By that logic, let’s put NFL teams in Tuscaloosa, AL and State College, PA. 

Syracuse is a private school, versus the state schools you mentioned. Syracuse is much smaller than those schools, and still can pack em in.

Those bigger state schools have much bigger student bodies to fill the stadiums with. 

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's the only reason why I left following NBA.

People from Toronto come slumming in BFLo for the over flow and bang for buck.  Not the other way around.

Like the Bucks-Bulls, Cubs-Brewers.

Toronto crowds don't mind the prices and jam every local event regardless of talent level on display

50 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Probably could support an NBA team in Buffalo 

Be like Bucks-Bulls.

Could be: Raptors- Pterodactyls

LoL...

Raptors have always had a loyal fan base, heading into a 6th?? year of killing the East until the playoffs