Someone needs to be fired over Mahomes right now.

Klaista2k

43 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Goff and Mahomes are simply talented.  Good size, good arms, athletic. It doesnt matter what offense they were in.  They are not small weak arm QBs who put up massive numbers in a quality system.  

I think it does matter what offense you are in. Mahomes was drafted to sit a year because KC has a team that can allow that.  Buffalo doesn’t have a team that can allow that. The reason for that is the issue here, not whether we drafted Mahomes or not. 

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The Chiefs did everything right in this scenario. They saw potential in Mahomes and picked him when others passed. They sat him for a year and let him watch a seasoned pro like Smith. They prepared him for his debut by surrounding him with weapons and protection. If anything the Bills have failed in every aspect of this process with Allen. No mentor, no sitting for a year, no weapons and no protection. That's all on Beane.

I wish I could like this post 100X. Do any of you pining for Mahomes think he would be playing at the same high level if he were here instead of in KC? With this cast of characters? Look at how the Chiefs groomed Mahomes, then look at how we threw Allen to the wolves.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

How many times are we going to do this? 

I reckon every time the kid throws for at least 12 yards we'll see these, "WE MISSED OUT" threads and "EVERYONE MUST BE FIRED BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WE MAKE PROGRESS!!!"

It's being said all over, Mahomes has a great situation. He has time to throw, a plethora of guys to throw it to and the ability to make stuff happen when the play breaks down. Oh, he's also athletic and has a big arm. I think there's another guy like this in the league, big, athletic, rocket arm...except he doesn't have a decent OL or the same weapons right meow. He also didn't get a year to sit behind a really solid vet.

Something occurred to me while watching that game last night. I'm not a real big fan of David Culley but I'm pretty sure he's here because he's a Reid disciple. I wonder if Reid himself gave McD the suggestion to hire Culley to coach QBs. 

I'm all in on "the process" but that doesn't mean you can't throw some criticism its way. And one criticism I've had is their idea to roll without a veteran backup QB. A dude who's been around the league and seen a lot, a guy who can really help JA in the QB room and all that. I know a lot of people criticize them trading McCarron but I don't believe they intended on doing that. I just think they were shocked the Raiders said, "Yo, a 5th for McCarron?" because they probably had his trade value listed as, "Lucky if we'll get a pack of Twizzlers" given McCarron's pre-season performance and injury. So I think that was an unexpected trade and they jumped on it, expecting Peterman to be able to hold down the fort until JA was ready or whatever. But then Peterman goes out there and is just friggin' awful, left 'em no choice but to roll with the rookie.

5 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Do you see what Mahomes has for help that Allen doesn't?  Where the #&$* do I begin.  He has a O line that can win battles to open up the run game and give Mahomes enough time to find an open WR.  What the hell is an open WR, we don't have that here in Buffalo.  Nobody and I mean nobody can get separation which allows Allen to hold on to the ball and make rookie mistakes or run the ball and hurdle dudes.  Allen's only options are throw the ball away Everytime or just run for his life.  But yeah, let's blame Allen for not being Mahomes.  I would love to see Allen with those weapons and protection.  It's also year 2 for Mahomes?

As a rookie, Mahomes got to watch a solid QB with tons of experience, learn from him. He also has Andy Reid and oh...yea had Matt Nagy to help him. He has has over a year to learn the system and an entire off season to work with an amazing supporting cast of TALENTED NFL caliber weapons.

Allen saw little first team reps, has Nathan Peterman to look up to, McD a defense coach...with Daboll and Culley (mostly a WR coach in his career) to help him. Has a complete cast of rejects to throw to and hey...as a bonus he gets to play behind an oline coached by Juan Castillo. 

After typing that I'm kind of shocked it wasn't Allen that retired at the half.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wish I could like this post 100X. Do any of you pining for Mahomes think he would be playing at the same high level if he were here instead of in KC? With this cast of characters? Look at how the Chiefs groomed Mahomes, then look at how we threw Allen to the wolves.

Nature or nurture ? That is the question. I’ll say it’s the former, and while Mahomes has a lot around him he still must be given credit. Watch what he does when pressured, look at his accuracy. He has great instincts. While he might not have the same exact results in Buffalo, the talent would still be obvious. He sat and waited in KC, but while probably beneficial it was not likely a transformative experience. Simply put, you’re either good or you’re not. The Bills organizational ineptness led to this. 

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

McDermott clapping away while Mahomes tears apart the league and we are 1-3 and look like trash.

giphy.gif

That is his personality.  If he sat stone faced on the sideline like Belicheat or Landry you'd criticize that.  If he sat on the sidelines screaming like Lombardi or Parcells you'd criticize that.  If he called a ref an overofficious jerk, guess what you'd do?

Meanwhile, in an si.com article this week they talked about how great a coach he is getting a team with our talent last year to the playoffs.

He does good and bad things like most coaches.  Getting on him for clapping is juvenile.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That is his personality.  If he sat stone faced on the sideline like Belicheat or Landry you'd criticize that.  If he sat on the sidelines screaming like Lombardi or Parcells you'd criticize that.  If he called a ref an overofficious jerk, guess what you'd do?

Meanwhile, in an si.com article this week they talked about how great a coach he is getting a team with our talent last year to the playoffs.

He does good and bad things like most coaches.  Getting on him for clapping is juvenile.

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But, But I was told by a great many here that putting on your man pants and facing what the competition throws at you is the best way to develop a QB.  None of this Nancy stuff about standing along the sidelines holding a clipboard.  Might just as well buy Josh a dress and get it over with. Sarcasm.

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

There is no question that Patrick Mahomes is and will be a better NFL QB than Josh Allen.  None.

That being said, Mahomes LITERALLY has had the most ideal transition to becoming a starting NFL QB of any QB ever (with the possible exception of Aaron Rodgers) and Josh Allen has LITERALLY had the least ideal transition to becoming a starting NFL QB of any QB ever (including David Carr).  And this is not hyperbole.  It is impossible to compare the two of them apples to apples.

To be clear it is largely McBeane’s doing.  They gutted the roster, they traded away multiple picks on a rebuilding team.  People act like these guys inherited this team and draft board.

Even if you believe it is part of “the process,” they created this mess.

Edited by Billsflyer12

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

To be clear it is largely McBeane’s doing.  They gutted the roster, they traded away multiple picks on a rebuilding team.  People act like these guys inherited this team and draft board,

.  Even if you believe it is part of “the process,” they created this mess.

Yes, they created this mess. I for one am willing to let it play out and see how it goes. With a high pick this next draft and around $100M to spend, we can have a new group to watch develop into a good team. Certainly, we all can agree that 7-9 records every year were not acceptable. We know that doesn't work. Let's see if this teardown works. If it doesn't, we can always move on to the next "plan."

52 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

A lot of you guys must be rich. Otherwise I would think you would change careers to become an NFL QB Scout. Teams would get in a bidding war for the services of a QB scout who can accurately predict how the prospects will turn out. 

That's their job...they are not always going to be right but they better be most of the time or they won't be working for long

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

To be clear it is largely McBeane’s doing.  They gutted the roster, they traded away multiple picks on a rebuilding team.  People act like these guys inherited this team and draft board.

Even if you believe it is part of “the process,” they created this mess.

They sure did.  And that's why their future will rest on decisions they make together on building the roster, not decisions made before they both were here.

38 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The Chiefs did everything right in this scenario. They saw potential in Mahomes and picked him when others passed. They sat him for a year and let him watch a seasoned pro like Smith. They prepared him for his debut by surrounding him with weapons and protection. If anything the Bills have failed in every aspect of this process with Allen. No mentor, no sitting for a year, no weapons and no protection. That's all on Beane.

And circle gets the square.

Groomed by Andy Reid in an offense with loads of talent. Or groomed by a WR coach in an offense with no talent.

10 hours ago, Mango said:

Huh. Dude played in the Big 12 and set a bunch of records there against teams like Texas, OSU, and OU. Texas Tech struggles sometimes in the big 12, but they are a major football program and not bad overall. 

I agree. Whaley only drafted from the SEC and ACC though.

• Like (+1) 1