3rd and more than 5.....felt different...

The Process

For the entire tuhrod tenure I felt sick on third and more than 5 yards. Yesterday....it just felt different. I remember back in the glory years it was relaxing to see Kelly in shotgun Reed loaded for bear on third down. I felt a little of that yesterday.....anyone else feel that way?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Process said:

For the entire tuhrod tenure I felt sick on third and more than 5 yards. Yesterday....it just felt different. I remember back in the glory years it was relaxing to see Kelly in shotgun Reed loaded for bear on third down. I felt a little of that yesterday.....anyone else feel that way?

Yes. It feels like anything is possible. 

Fourth and 8 in the fourth quarter when they lined up and let the play clock expire, I was thinking "it's okay, go for it."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Process said:

I feel sick that tuhrod wasted the buffalo careers of Woods, Goodwin, Watkins, and Hogan 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, The Process said:

Yes.  Loved the description from Micah Hyde when he saw Allen hurdle a LB to get the 1st down.  Said he was standing up screaming, ran onto the field "to dab him up" (congratulate him) - "But don't ever do that again"

If the team was checking out, starting Allen is a credit card that checked them all in.  Well, most of them,  Benjamin seems resistant.

• Like (+1) 3

Something else that felt different: in the past, the Bills have had a penchant for reaching into the jaws of victory to snatch defeat. So much so that my definition of a "comfortable" lead is a 7-to-1 ratio: 7 points for every minute left in the game.

Yesterday, about 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter, I felt very comfortable with a 1-to-1 ratio.

I know exactly what you mean - 3rd down was always a point of complete lack of confidence that we could convert, and any result to the otherwise was met with equal surprise. Especially under Tyrod, you just could never count on the offense doing anything to convert 3rd downs. We've established, ad nauseam, that it was due to Dennison and Taylor primarily, but Allen makes or at least attempts the throws that we haven't seen in a hot minute from this team. 

I always equated it to the Pats offense, or other offenses where the momentum is so palpable that you can't help but feel like they were going to drive the field and score. It'd be nice to see some of that again, and get that feeling back.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  Loved the description from Micah Hyde when he saw Allen hurdle a LB to get the 1st down.  Said he was standing up screaming, ran onto the field "to dab him up" (congratulate him) - "But don't ever do that again"

If the team was checking out, starting Allen is a credit card that checked them all in.  Well, most of them,  Benjamin seems resistant.

Benjamin is going to have to figure it out quickly if Allen keeps beaning him with the ball.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Process said:

Wow, I'm not there yet.  I never felt sick on 3rd downs with Tyrod.  I remember that guy picking up plenty of 3rd downs with crazy runs and pocket escapes.  

Edited by stony
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stony said:

Wow, I'm not there yet.  I never felt sick on 3rd downs with Tyrod.  I remember that guy picking up more 3rd downs with crazy runs and pocket escapes.  

Yea but at least it's not a 2-3 yard dump off.

That's the one thing I like seeing.  Allen is looking for the sticks, not the safety valve.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yea but at least it's not a 2-3 yard dump off.

That's the one thing I like seeing.  Allen is looking for the sticks, not the safety valve.

Exactly. He has a presence and awareness about him already that Tyrod rarely displayed. 

It did not feel different. It is different.  Allen forces defense to respect damn near the whole field on every down.  Since 3rd and 10 is well with Allens' ability to convert, teams have to consider that the bills can go for it on first and second down every series . If the bills no five yards on second and 10, but there is a five a yard penalty, its not a no brainer too put the Bills back five yards for second and 15 any more. 

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

I feel sick that tuhrod wasted the buffalo careers of Woods, Goodwin, Watkins, and Hogan 

EJ had a say in the matter as well.

41 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Every down felt different.  I feel like a first down is possible at anytime.  

It was nice to see good chunkage ( is that a word)? on first down. Loved seeing 2nd and 4 and 3 and 1 as often as we did. 

• Like (+1) 1