Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

BR: "Josh Allen: Throwing velocity analysis"

Recommended Posts

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/20/17868504/josh-allen-throwing-velocity-analysis-all-22-film-arm-strength

 

"Not too long ago, we discussed throwing velocity on sideline passes. Understandably, there was some disappointment that no actual velocities were calculated. I promised to rectify that issue when All-22 angles were available. As was hopefully demonstrated before, the broadcast angles make it very difficult to determine the exact spot of the ball in many cases. Good news everyone! The All-22 is out and we can set the stage for accurate velocity determinations. Let’s select a Josh Allen play and check out the broadcast angle.

 

Josh_Allen_velocity_1.jpg

 

This isn’t his fastest pass, but it’s a decently quick toss over the middle."

 

 

… click the link to look at the rest of the article for methodology and results... but here's the ending:

 

 

"What’s impressive isn’t the flat out speed, it’s more that Allen looks pretty casual about it. Most importantly, now that the methodology has been set and accuracy increased, we can look at throws as they come up. Next time a pass is coming in hot and you’re curious how fast it was, give me a shout and maybe you’ll get your answer."

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 isn’t much of a number.

 

Arms good accuracy hope will get there.

 

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

 

Progression reads seem terrible  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many people know this but 2 years ago Josh Allen's girlfriend was tragically killed in a car accident. Unable to live without her, Josh threw a football so hard and with such velocity that it left the earth's atmosphere and travelled continuously around the globe, causing time to travel backwards and bringing her back to life.

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Not many people know this but 2 years ago Josh Allen's girlfriend was tragically killed in a car accident. Unable to live without her, Josh threw a football so hard and with such velocity that it left the earth's atmosphere and travelled continuously around the globe, causing time to travel backwards and bringing her back to life.

 

The two of them are now happily living together in a modestly sized home and own one cat with a mildly racist name.

Delete this. Not funny

Edit: to those of you giving me the confused face I get it. This was a spoof on Superman. Still not funny.

Edited by fansince88
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Velocity w/o accuracy

or guys to catch it 

 

won’t  get you far.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyle Boller threw it hard , as did Jamarcus Russel. Whats going to determine how good he can be is how well he adjusts to defensive coordinator s adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

49 isn’t much of a number.

 

Arms good accuracy hope will get there.

 

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

 

Progression reads seem terrible  

 

49 is a very good in game number

That was a freaking frozen rope right into the guy's hands

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

He looks like a 10 year vet in the pocket. It's awesome. Stands tall, eyes upfield, shuffles to the safe spot. Gets sacked a lot but he passes the eye test, he's clearly looking down field and buying time.

 

That's a great instinct for a rookie to start with. It's a giant hurdle for a typical rookie we can skip past and find other things to improve for a much faster paced development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea why anyone cares about how hard a QB can throw the football. 

 

Most of the top QBs in the NFL right now have mediocre arms. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

49 isn’t much of a number.

 

Arms good accuracy hope will get there.

 

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

 

Progression reads seem terrible  

Yeah - the hell with the arm velocity, who is that breaking wide open on the right and why didn’t he see him..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Allen has a strong arm.

 

In other riveting, breaking news: ex-Bills LB Ray Bentley authored a series of children's books about Darby the Dinosaur.

 

Former Bill Nick O'Leary is the grandson of golfing great Jack Nicklaus.

 

Former Bills QB Frank Reich owns the records for quarterbacking the greatest comeback victory in both NCAA and NFL history.

 

What am I missing?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Not many people know this but 2 years ago Josh Allen's girlfriend was tragically killed in a car accident. Unable to live without her, Josh threw a football so hard and with such velocity that it left the earth's atmosphere and travelled continuously around the globe, causing time to travel backwards and bringing her back to life.

 

The two of them are now happily living together in a modestly sized home and own one cat with a mildly racist name.

Nice post from a mild asshat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Not many people know this but 2 years ago Josh Allen's girlfriend was tragically killed in a car accident. Unable to live without her, Josh threw a football so hard and with such velocity that it left the earth's atmosphere and travelled continuously around the globe, causing time to travel backwards and bringing her back to life.

 

The two of them are now happily living together in a modestly sized home and own one cat with a mildly racist name.

So you're saying when he gets it up to 88mph we'll see some serious ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Kyle Boller threw it hard , as did Jamarcus Russel. Whats going to determine how good he can be is how well he adjusts to defensive coordinator s adjustments.

Brett Favre threw it hard, as did John Elway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Kyle Boller threw it hard , as did Jamarcus Russel. Whats going to determine how good he can be is how well he adjusts to defensive coordinator s adjustments.

As I recall, JaMarcus had a problem with the whole “film study”/“prepare” thing that’s typically encouraged by coaches, not to mention putting a hurt on the Sunday brunch buffet line. Am not worried whatsoever about Allen following in those footsteps. Boller, not sure what his deal was. Allen just needs reps like crazy

36 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I have no idea why anyone cares about how hard a QB can throw the football. 

 

Most of the top QBs in the NFL right now have mediocre arms. 

Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Wentz, Wilson just to name a few have the opposite of a noodle arm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

49 isn’t much of a number.

 

Arms good accuracy hope will get there.

 

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

 

Progression reads seem terrible  

 

The dichotomy of Josh Allen.

 

Looks awesome standing back there. Stands tall, keeps eyes downfield, never afraid to get hit, will throw at any point...

 

...but he just isn't making the reads. We may have have to just get some burners at WR and have them run posts, sluggos, and 9's. Then he can just look deep. Be a "chunk play" offense if we have to. We have to make it work with this kid.

 

Or maybe he learns how to read a defense. If that happens, he could be scary (good).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

 

 

 

...but he just isn't making the reads. We may have have to just get some burners at WR and have them run posts, sluggos, and 9's. Then he can just look deep. Be a "chunk play" offense if we have to. We have to make it work with this kid.

 

Or maybe he learns how to read a defense. If that happens, he could be scary (good).

The ol Losman offense is making a comeback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He looks like a 10 year vet in the pocket. It's awesome. Stands tall, eyes upfield, shuffles to the safe spot. Gets sacked a lot but he passes the eye test, he's clearly looking down field and buying time.

 

That's a great instinct for a rookie to start with. It's a giant hurdle for a typical rookie we can skip past and find other things to improve for a much faster paced development.

The all 22 showed otherwise.  He had a few pockets to climb but instead tried to step outside and got himself sacked. I LOOKS confident. I agree.  Problem is, he makes a lot of bad decisions at this point.  He’ll get better with experience 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The all 22 showed otherwise.  He had a few pockets to climb but instead tried to step outside and got himself sacked. I LOOKS confident. I agree.  Problem is, he makes a lot of bad decisions at this point.  He’ll get better with experience 

Yep pretty much. He looks confident... And that might be kinda weird if any part of his thought process during a play is just "stand tall, look poised, look at receivers, can't move to that spot.. might look awkward shuffling at that angle"

 

Like he seriously could be thinking that haha that's how poised he is, and that's pretty scary if true and he's not just 100% tuned into football. Aaron Rodgers looks goofy all the time in the pocket. Ya gotta trip over a lineman and bunny hop sometimes to get to the right spot.. duck every now and then. Play football.

 

Just an observation. Not likely he's going out of his way to look poised, but he's so big and looks more poised/confident what have you than most quarbacks I  watch in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched a bunch of JA college tape. It’s funny because the Wyoming offensive line is so bad...so it’s the same running around Josh Allen we get to see on sundays.

 

I have to say, I think he will be one of the best 3rd down converters under center we’ve had in a while IF we can catch the ball. 

 

I will say though, you really can see an improvement in his footwork. I’m talking substantially better. I truly hope that continues.

 

I had seen the tape before, but after seeing him play a game or so, then going back and watching how absolutely wild he was. It makes me really believe the kid is smart enough for this whole self correction thing. 

 

Yes he has regressions at times, but it’s night and day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

49 isn’t much of a number.

 

Arms good accuracy hope will get there.

 

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

 

Progression reads seem terrible  

 

Considering that it's live game action and when you watch how much he throws that football at ease and that 49 mph is the same number Peterman threw at the combine when he had nothing else he had to think about except 

 

"Throw

 

ball 

 

HARD!!!"

Andy-Samberg-Wow.gif

 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I have no idea why anyone cares about how hard a QB can throw the football. 

 

Most of the top QBs in the NFL right now have mediocre arms. 

 

This from the guy who over YEARS of posting has CONSTANTLY used the phrase "he has a cannon for an arm" in praise of numerous prospects and current NFL QBs.

 

My how quickly we forget :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yep pretty much. He looks confident... And that might be kinda weird if any part of his thought process during a play is just "stand tall, look poised, look at receivers, can't move to that spot.. might look awkward shuffling at that angle"

 

Like he seriously could be thinking that haha that's how poised he is, and that's pretty scary if true and he's not just 100% tuned into football. Aaron Rodgers looks goofy all the time in the pocket. Ya gotta trip over a lineman and bunny hop sometimes to get to the right spot.. duck every now and then. Play football.

 

Just an observation. Not likely he's going out of his way to look poised, but he's so big and looks more poised/confident what have you than most quarbacks I  watch in the league.

Are you saying he looks too poised?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Yeah - the hell with the arm velocity, who is that breaking wide open on the right and why didn’t he see him..

I think that's his check-down...

 

If he feels pressured to get the ball out and has confidence to make the throw, I can understand why he didn't get to the check-down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×