BR: "Josh Allen: Throwing velocity analysis"

12 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Sure. 

There really isn't anything to be mistaken about.   Just listen to all of the Bills brass talk about him from the moment they drafted him. 

Physical talent, physical talent, physical talent, physical tools, protipical qb size, etc. 

No one talked about his accuracy, timing, anticipation, rhythm, pure pocket passing ability, etc. 

He was a project with a big arm and physical tools.   So was Ej Manuel.   So was JP Losman.  Where are they? 

The best Qb we drafted this century was Trent Edwards.   He was NEVER the same after getting laid out in that Arizona game.  But he actually had pocket passing qualities and was much more refined. 

I'm sick of big armed project passers.   I want polished, refined, with accolades. 

Allen will flame out, and every excuse will be given from the talent surrounding him to the coaching.  All will have played a role in his failure, except for the fact he wasn't NFL ready and was a project when we drafted him. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.  We've passed on both Mahomes and Rosen for Allen.  We've seen how Mahomes has looked, and Rosen is right around the corner.  It was a mistake to pass on either one IMO. 

Time will tell. 

Wasn't Mahomes looked at as a big armed project QB? He had a year to sit in KC and the Chiefs have a great offense around him, not shocking that Andy Reid would have a second year QB playing so well. I would have preferred Rosen at the time of the draft but I do think that Rosen's ability is good but limited to being a good but not great QB. I see Rosen's ceiling as Sam Bradford at his best. Now that's a pretty good QB but it isn't one that's going to be a top 8 QB and probably will float between 8-15 in QB rankings. I also think there were more than legit injury concerns with Rosen that could negatively impact his longevity.

Allen on the other hand can be a top 5 QB if his footwork and decision making pan out. Now that's a lot to ask of a QB but Allen at least has the smarts and work ethic to make it a possibility. I also think that the college game's spread offense is making it harder to evaluate traditional QB tenancies. So often big armed QB's who need refinement will end up getting higher on the draft board. 

I don't think you are wrong necessarily (Although I will disagree on Trent Edwards even before the hit he wasn't lighting the world on fire and his limited arm strength was always going to cap his ability) Allen is a project but a project that has all the tools mentally in addition to the physical capabilities. I don't know why but I think Allen will pan out for the Bills. 

It might be a rough rookie year esp early against a lot of tough defenses but in 2019 I think we will see the potential Allen has coming more to the forefront. 

13 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

An upgrade in offensive talent is definitely needed, but don’t blind yourself of the notion that Allen needs to improve his touch and accuracy.

Allen needs to improve a lot of aspects of his game. That's to be expected from a raw QB prospect with limited offensive talent around him, nothing tragic there. The good news is a lot of those aspects will simply come with time and experience. Allen is a hard worker by all accounts and that leads me to believe that his decision making, pocket awareness, and overall running of the offense will improve with the more starts he gets. 

The biggest issue will be footwork, footwork is leading to his accuracy issues. Now it is possible for a QB to improve his footwork. Allen looks to have done that somewhat in the off-season. But footwork is probably one of the hardest things to change for a QB (I would saying throwing motion is the hardest) and Allen will have a lot of work to do in order to improve his footwork and thus accuracy. 

Jesus.  Who gives a crap about how hard he throws the ball?  I'm so sick of hearing about that.  Can he go through his reads, make sound decisions on where the ball needs to go ahead of time, and get it there accurately.  Emphasis on accuracy and decision making.

If not, he's gonna suck.  But hey, he's going to suck with a great arm.  Who friggin cares.

On 9/23/2018 at 12:03 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Does anyone think Allen was picked just because he can throw it 70 yards? If so, they are sorely mistaken as no GM would do this. 

Another example of someone else summing up my exact thoughts in a short, succinct sentence vs. a long-winded paragraph from me.  I even recall Beane talking about why they liked Allen so much right after the draft.  He talked about how much they liked him because of everything they saw he could do.  They looked at the tape of all those QB's over and over and over so they weren't lacking for comparison data.  

It drives me INSANE seeing so many asshats posting over and over and over, ad nauseum, the same regurgitated BS pre-draft "scouting" reports.  Gee yeah, it takes a real football mind to read sports reports and repeat the same narrative.  These idiots are so compelled to enlighten us with how intelligent they are knowing for certain Allen doesn't have it all and never will.  How many more times do I have to read that he isn't accurate and you just can't teach that.  BULLS--T!!!!  You CAN teach accuracy, or major improvement - see footwork for starters. 

If you watched him throw yesterday, he certainly seemed to be accurate and have amazing touch to me.  Yesterday's game pretty much proved all the haters wrong and, oddly enough, they're either nowhere to be found post-game, or somehow they're now supportive even though they were so certain Allen was already a bust.  Asshats!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, TwistofFate said:

Sure. 

There really isn't anything to be mistaken about.   Just listen to all of the Bills brass talk about him from the moment they drafted him. 

Physical talent, physical talent, physical talent, physical tools, protipical qb size, etc. 

No one talked about his accuracy, timing, anticipation, rhythm, pure pocket passing ability, etc. 

He was a project with a big arm and physical tools.   So was Ej Manuel.   So was JP Losman.  Where are they? 

The best Qb we drafted this century was Trent Edwards.   He was NEVER the same after getting laid out in that Arizona game.  But he actually had pocket passing qualities and was much more refined. 

I'm sick of big armed project passers.   I want polished, refined, with accolades. 

Allen will flame out, and every excuse will be given from the talent surrounding him to the coaching.  All will have played a role in his failure, except for the fact he wasn't NFL ready and was a project when we drafted him. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.  We've passed on both Mahomes and Rosen for Allen.  We've seen how Mahomes has looked, and Rosen is right around the corner.  It was a mistake to pass on either one IMO. 

Time will tell. 

Mahomes is polished and refined? Haha. He's exactly what you said you didn't want. Get some sleep.

On September 23, 2018 at 12:19 AM, TwistofFate said:

Sure. 

Time will tell. 

LOL at the Glove Wearing Mary comment.  He was horrible before during and after the concussion.  Bill Walsh played a practical joke on Marv Levy and we picked him.  That's all there is to the story.