Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

53 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

His best shot at being successful will be by surrounding him with talent, either along the line or with offensive playmakers, and creating a favorable scheme for his abilities. 

If Allen busts, it will not be because he didn't have a veteran QB to show him the way. 

Surrounding him with talent seems like a lot for this regime to comprehend.

I like Allen a lot! I also want Bills fans to NOT look at the final record/stats  this year for the Bills as any indication of how good he may be.

for example rookie year:

3-13

56.7% completion 3,739 yards 26 TDS and 28 INT..

that was non other than P Manning rookie stat line.. I don’t think anyone would say Manning sucked in his career after that.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is my take on him after his first week.

Negatives:

1.  Pre Snap reads, they are not there yet, just having a horrible time seeing the blitz and adjusting from there.

2.  Touch - Needs to find some, not everything needs to be that Fast Ball. A touch pass to Clay doesn't get broken up in the seam.

3.  Learn to slide, though I do like the competitiveness

4.  processing time - Needs to get ball out faster.

5.  Mechanics / Accuracy - it seems he regressed a bit (which can be understandable) though I have more worries here with Culley stalling his progress he has made with Palmer

6.  Decisions made some very poor and rookie choices, however that is also because he was trying to make a play I think

Positives:

1.  Competitive and Leadership Qualities his going to the defense after the Ivory TD is what you want to see here.

2.  Better athlete than I though he was running the ball

3.  Arm is there, can make every throw

4.  Looked the part, like it wasn't too big for him ala Peterman

Overall it was a good week, not great but not bad.  Put it this way his play isn't going to be the bad story lines about this week.

Great post.  This is spot on, in my opinion.  He definitely looks the part and seems to have the right make-up to lead this team into the future, but he still has quite a bit to work on.  I think he'll eventually get the decision-making/processing stuff down after a year or two, but I do worry whether he'll ever be accurate.  With his arm strength, gunslinger mentality and overall athleticism, he reminds me quite a bit of a young John Elway.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Great post.  This is spot on, in my opinion.  He definitely looks the part and seems to have the right make-up to lead this team into the future, but he still has quite a bit to work on.  I think he'll eventually get the decision-making/processing stuff down after a year or two, but I do worry whether he'll ever be accurate.  With his arm strength, gunslinger mentality and overall athleticism, he reminds me quite a bit of a young John Elway.

Going into next week

Makes steps to improve those weaknesses and I will be happy with that week as well.  That slow steady growth is what I want to see this year

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I like Allen a lot! I also want Bills fans to NOT look at the final record/stats  this year for the Bills as any indication of how good he may be.

for example rookie year:

3-13

56.7% completion 3,739 yards 26 TDS and 28 INT..

that was non other than P Manning rookie stat line.. I don’t think anyone would say Manning sucked in his career after that.

Deshaun Watson had 20 TD's in his first six starts.

I can see how/why fans are impressed and encouraged by what they saw in Allen vs Chargers. But what they saw (and liked) is basically what got him drafted high in the first round and, for now anyway, nothing more. Pre-draft I obviously didn't get to see tape of all his throws at WYO in 2017 but I saw as much as was available on the net, including what I thought was some pretty astute analysis and breakdown in expert analyst podcasts. And what I saw yesterday afternoon was exactly his 2017 tape, or such of it as I got to see. He absolutely looked like the same QB - a physically imposing, determined and mobile raw flame thrower with a strong arm but with footwork/accuracy issues, poor touch and field vision limitations. So I hesitate to sign up to the idea that there has been lots of progress already in his development. If there is I don't see it. 

Of course it is unreasonable IMO to expect substantial improvement at this early stage but then the hype machine should stop talk about how far he has come for now. He is having to learn from scratch. It's not lining up under centre 30% of snaps that made his WYO offence a pro template. He was given half field and single read responsibilities in a simplified scheme that did not incorporate timing concepts. At the end of the day it was pretty much a standard college O where the QB waits to see if the first or second read breaks open and only then commit. If not, tuck and run. Any wonder then that he needs to learn how to throw guys open with anticipation.

There have been some comparisons with Mahomes. Mahomes always threw with anticipation, good instincts, and accuracy. He was very much a natural passer, not just a thrower, that way. His problem was with footwork and of course also (and probably even more so) with beginning to absorb the many complexities of the pro game that a QB needs to master. The laundry list of things that JA needs to work on is longer. Also, JA has been given none of the benefits and advantages that Andy Reid made sure were available to Mahomes. 

I would have liked JA to redshirt this year before starting but things haven't developed that way so I'll stop complaining about it. Point is tho that Allen has not been done any favours by the Bills. If he manages to overcome and get better the credit will be all his IMO. What we need to see now is gradual improvement. If by the end of the year he's the same guy that we saw yesterday that will not be good because that was not good enuf.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Positives

Stands tall in the pocket and is not phased by the rush

Goes through his progressions

Can make any throw 

Mobility and toughness

Isn’t Nate Peterman

Negatives

Doesn’t recognize pre-snap looks (shifts, blitzes, protection adjustments)

Footwork regressed today

Drifts sideways under pressure instead of stepping up into a muddy pocket

Doesnt trust his eyes - waits too long to make throws to open receivers 

Mental clock is still too slow

Accuracy remains an issue 

Good post.  If we're looking for optimism, I think most of those "negatives" can be resolved with more playing time and coaching.  The accuracy thing is the biggest one to keep an eye on, long term.

Good to hear from you @PatsFanNH.  I think a lot of us are optimistic regarding Josh Allen, who should continue to start, make his rookie mistakes, and get the experience he needs to be a better QB in the upcoming seasons.  This year will be tough, but if Allen, and Tremaine Edmunds on defense, can show improvement come December, maybe that is the best we can hope for.  Allen isn't as inaccurate as his scouting reports mentioned, though he does make some errant throws, which every rookie QB does...as well as some vets. 

The OLine should be the point of focus come this off-season.  RG, C, LG, RT needs to be figured out.  Dawkins is a young LT, but probably the least of our worries on the line.  Wouldn't mind seeing the OLine coach replaced, either.  Hopefully McDermott will come to placing priority on performance and not maintaining his good old boy network.  We may be seeing this happening with Leslie Frazier, who McD took away defensive play calling from at half time.  We also need a true WR1, as that is not Kelvin Benjamin.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I was OK with the pick because I figured I didn't know enough, but the accuracy issues yesterday alarmed me. He was all over the place. Some passes were on target, but you can say that about any qb -- some passes will always find the target (law of averages and all), even for the least accurate qbs. You also always hear that accuracy can't be taught, and given his college accuracy issues, that concerns me. That said, Bortles (very inaccurate early on) has clearly improved, so we should really give him a lot of time -- as in 3-4 years before determining whether he's a franchise qb or not. (Plus I couldn't help but compare him with Rivers, one of my favorite QBs of this century in terms of his game.) Allen's arm strength is breathtaking, and he's a good athlete. I'm also less worried about the obviously poor footwork because that can be taught. The thing to bear in mind is that for most QBs, even blue chip prospects, it takes time. Making snap judgments after one start is a fool's errand, although I realize I don't need to tell you that! I will continue to pay attention to the accuracy issue, though.

I don't want to be too critical because I feel people read posts from me about Allen and immediately think I have an agenda because of my view on him coming out - which I don't. Also I thought yesterday was a broadly encouraging debut and I am firmly in glass half full territory with him.

But the inaccuracy was still inconsistent to me too. That is what is worried me on his college tape and still does. Being rushed due to sub par protection doesn't help, I am the first to say that line sucks, but there are plays there where there is just no obvious reason why the ball is off. 

This season is now all about Josh and a handful of the other young guys (though to a lesser extent). I hope he can continue to take steps and improve. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Having a vet to "guide" you is a myth. That is the coaching staff's Job. In some cases the vet is more detrimental to the rookie than he is helpful, because vets are often hostile towards the rookie who they are supposed to train to replace them. 

Even an aging vet on his last legs would be more useful than NP. What can he really do for him?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't want to be too critical because I feel people read posts from me about Allen and immediately think I have an agenda because of my view on him coming out - which I don't. Also I thought yesterday was a broadly encouraging debut and I am firmly in glass half full territory with him.

But the inaccuracy was still inconsistent to me too. That is what is worried me on his college tape and still does. Being rushed due to sub par protection doesn't help, I am the first to say that line sucks, but there are plays there where there is just no obvious reason why the ball is off. 

This season is now all about Josh and a handful of the other young guys (though to a lesser extent). I hope he can continue to take steps and improve. 

He really was inaccurate yesterday. I would have tacked it as a bad day but for aaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllll the posts on here mentioning it. Seriously, I didn't see nothing to worry about in preseason or game 1. This one, way more. This time he was. But still, let's see. He still got 245 yards. Take out "garbage time" and it was still 200 yards, with a subpar supporting cast. So even with issues, he can be effective! And overall I still think he showed more good than bad, yet he was inaccurate. So his potential is still way up there. Crazy.

During his weekly appearance on the Bills Radio Network, NBC Sports reporter Peter King reflected on Josh Allen’s first NFL start.

King went as far as to say the quarterback has surpassed his expectations.

Well, I thought it was better than I expected. He is obviously going to have difficultly with protection issues, the Bills are. And so you’re probably not going to be able to use everything. You wonder how many seven-step drops he has, when he does take snaps from under center, when that happens, but overall you know, I’d give him a good mark.