Did Vontae Davis retire at halftime? Yes, yes he did!

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, akm0404 said:

But, if we pretend that retiring lets you magically go play for another team, you'd actually want this guy playing for your opponent.

Sadly pro sports rewards people dumping a bad team to go and play for a top team

the NBA thrives on this

4 hours ago, eanyills said:

Professional anything. Think of the real world equivalent:

Just up and quit in the middle of a workday, in the middle of a meeting with clients, and go home. That employer is never going to be giving you a positive reference in the future.

You wait until the meeting’s (game) is over at the earliest.

Had a government person do that at work.  He was on the floor and he said he had enough and just quit.

Saw him while I was going in (we start at different times) and people on the floor told me he just quit.

This is very unusual for government employees have a lot of options including internal transfers, temporary paid leave, etc and he had experience with other agencies so could have found work elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

It can't happen so don't really sweat it.

But, if we pretend that retiring lets you magically go play for another team, you'd actually want this guy playing for your opponent.

True. Honestly though, I can't ever see an NFL team's owner allowing this guy on his team. This will be all over sports talk shows over the country tomorrow. I've never seen anything like this....

Just an overall unreal turn of events...these first rough weeks along with Davis acting like a hotheaded spoiled quitter that he is, will either break the spirit of the team beyond redemption for the rest of this season until massive roster overhauling can commence with the 10 draft picks and est. 70 million in cap space upcoming, or it will absolutely create a moment that we can look back on where new leadership was forged (Allen & other hungry go-getters) within this team and created an overachieving no quit group the rest of the way. I honestly can’t even hazard a guess at this point which way we will go 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I'm gonna be pissed if this guy somehow someway is playing defense on a certain team from Foxboro next week....

As for retiring, could this not wait until the end of the game? Come on dude...

He retired as a Bill.. so the Bills own the rights to him. If he wants to sign with another team, the Bills will have to trade him, or just let him go. I don’t think they will just let him walk based on his poor behavior. I can’t see anyone trading for him. His career is most likely over. 

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Sorry if it has been mentioned as I only got to page two, but I just realized if he retires that's all dead cap money.

Actually, no, if he retires, it’s not all dead cap money AFAIK.  They don’t owe him for the 7/8 of this seasons games where he’s retired.  

The seasons salary is guaranteed if they cut him or (usually for a vet) if he’s injured, but if he retires, it’s not owed and they can request return of pro-rated bonus

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Plenty.

Oh yeah, for sure. 

I posted that question before we knew he retired. When I asked that, I had thought he just quit on the team. I wasn’t sure how it worked if the Bills released him because of that. But that doesn’t appear to be an issue anymore since he announced his retirement on social media.