Why Josh Allen is Fit for Success and a Fit for Buffalo

26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Frankly he is used to playing on a team with a poor OL and no weapons. Maybe that’s a factor in why he was drafted? They may have thought a guy like Mayfield - his film shows high success surrounded by talent. They didn’t know how he would do without that, and they are in the process of building this but aren’t there yet. Josh is used to having to do a lot himself (I believe Beane even mentioned this) and therefore he already has this mentality that the situation is not going to be ideal and he will need to rise up. The intent being that as the talent level increases over the next year or 2, he’s only going to improve after having been used to playing without it. 

Playing on a weak college team in a mediocre conference is not the same as playing in the NFL surrounded by lackluster talent. On paper your thesis has merit. We will see how it transfers to the big stage. I hope Allen does a P Manning and survives his first year. 

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why Josh Allen is Fit for Success and a Fit for Buffalo

His time on the field may have come sooner than planned by the Bills organization. Head coach Sean McDermott had a detailed and defined plan for bringing Josh Allen along. Whether or not that plan has been accelerated, Allen’s time is now.

As he prepares for his first career NFL start, Allen knows he’s likely to experience some hard lessons in his rookie season. But the first-round pick has a perseverance to him that you don’t find in every rookie NFL quarterback.

He doesn’t make the same mistakes twice. Allen dedicates himself to improvement and isn’t satisfied unless he’s the first one in the building and the last one out.

PUTTING IN WORK
NFL GOALS
WHY BUFFALO FIT ALLEN
THE TO-DO LIST
TIME ON THE JOB

Glad you posted this.  This is some of Brown's best work.  I posted it last night in another thread rather than starting a new one just because a thought people would complain about "yet another Josh Allen thread, how original!" 

Or something to that effect :flirt:

Regardless, good stuff  :thumbsup:

I like what Andy Reid said about Mahomes,  "if you treat him like a rookie, he will play like a rookie, you need to give him the full play book and open it up....."  That being said, I hope we come out passing and tear it up.  

Let's Go Buffalo & Josh Allen!!!!! - We've been waiting so long for you Josh 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I believe the most recent parallel would Jared Goff with the Rams. In his roookie year people were are all really concerned. Flash forward one year and they’re a consensus contender. There’s little doubt that 2018 is going to be ugly for the Bills. Let’s hope it’s an investment not a cost.

While I think this is a valid comparison you have to include that while Goff was talented and did much better from year 1 to year 2 the biggest factor in his development  may well have been Fisher getting canned and McVay coming in.  I actually have a decent amount of confidence that Allen has what it takes I'm just not sure we have a coach on the offensive side of the ball that can bring it out.  We certainly don't have any Sean McVays waiting to develop him.

Edited by Maine-iac

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

That might happen if the backup was someone like Kyle Orton, but after Nate's performances, it seems pretty clear that they're all-in with Josh at this point. In Cortez-like fashion, the coaches have burned the boats and told the crew to fight or die.

I'm not talking about this year, though.

No way they give up on him before the year is out, I mean if it takes him until year 3 to be good, but they give up on him after next year.

When you draft a guy that high and he has physical tools like that, you have to give him some rope, especially since the report on him was always he will need time to develop.

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I believe the most recent parallel would Jared Goff with the Rams. In his roookie year people were are all really concerned. Flash forward one year and they’re a consensus contender. There’s little doubt that 2018 is going to be ugly for the Bills. Let’s hope it’s an investment not a cost.

Does Goff have a line in front of him that isn't "offensive?"

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree he isn’t in a position to succeed this year. The goal is for him to succeed eventually though and the plan is to build around him so he can succeed next year, etc. they may not have planned to play him this early (though i question that given what they did not do in the FA QB market) but imo, his success will not be judged on this year, but rather years 2,3,4,5. What I want to see from him this year is growth in his mechanics, footwork, accuracy, reading NFL defenses, and experience gained on the field. I still think that can be attained without elite weapons or an elite OL.

i was going to reply something very similar to this, but i think you summed it up damn near perfectly. 

21 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

My worry is the organization failing Allen, not Allen failing the organization. 

He’s got every physical tool. He’s shown improvement in areas he needed to address. But he’s not being put in a position to succeed.  

hopefully he survives this year and we use all those picks and cap space to massively transform this team.

We

17 hours ago, Figster said:

Work ethic was off the charts for Taylor IMO.

I still can't help, but wonder what the combination of Sammy and T Mobile could have accomplished after all their off season work together.

#Sabotaged

Yeah just maybe MAYBE if we had Sammy, he could have produced like he did with Mahomes in their opener, after their off-season together:

Sammy Watkins: 3 receptions for 21 yards.

7 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

We

Yeah just maybe MAYBE if we had Sammy, he could have produced like he did with Mahomes in their opener, after their off-season together:

Sammy Watkins: 3 receptions for 21 yards.

Kelvin Benjamin : 1 reception for 10 yards, ( dropped TD pass)

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2018 at 8:59 AM, Tatonka68 said:

Are you ready to be amazed? Our QB we waited for since 1995 when Kelly retired is about to play. All the "experts" are about to eat crow after Josh takes control. BILLIEVE!!

This is exactly how people get pissed when he struggles. They set unrealistic expectations on the player and when he doesn't immediately look the part they start yelling he's a bust 5 weeks later.

Not saying you, personally, will do this. But it's coming to the board. It's coming.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe everything is going as planned except for losing Wood and Incognito which killed our O-line. People don't realize you can't just plug and play O-line men especially guards that have to pull or make calls. That is why we are limping with this O-line because there is no quick fix to it and we waited until too late in the draft to address it. I think Josh Allen will look allot better than Peterman and we will be allot more competitive. He has flashed incredible arm talent and opposing defenses will take notice.

Allen was a bad pick and shows yet again, this regime has no clue what to do with a Qb. 

From the Taylor/Peterman debacle last year, to the McCarron debacle in the preseason, and now on to another Allen/Peterman debacle, it's clear they have no clue or no answer at the position. 

We had options on the board, with a polished passer in Rosen, or a much better candidate in Jackson, (and Deshaun Watson last year)  we took a sub-par Qb who struggled heavily against every talented college team he faced.   

Allen was a project pick.   Everyone knew it when they picked him, hence the reason Peterman was named starter. 

You can oogle his "physical talent" all day, that doesn't win games. 

To make matters even worse, there is zero supporting cast surrounding him aside from an aging McCoy. 

I hope Allen's performance is judged as critical as Peterman's has been, but judging by the amount of homers on this board, I doubt it will be.  Every problem that existed while Peterman was at the helm will continue to exist with Allen at the helm.  But Allen homers will use every single one of them to defend him.

Truth be told, we still don't have a starting Qb or franchise Qb on this roster. 

"Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has spent months as a top prospect. Allen’s is a weird case, though. He was only an FBS starter for two years, and he didn’t put up great numbers in either. Allen’s career line at Wyoming: a 56.2 completion rate, 7.8 yards per attempt, 44 touchdowns, 21 interceptions, and a mediocre 137.7 rating."

• In 2017, Allen played two Power 5 opponents. He completed 50 percent of his passes for no touchdowns and three interceptions, averaging 3.7 yards per attempt with a 119 rating, in losses to Iowa and Oregon.
  • The year before, he threw one touchdown and five picks in a loss to Nebraska, his only other Power 5 opponent.
  • Against conference rulers Boise State and San Diego State, he had one decent game against each, but also one rough game against each.
  • His best starts ever were against Utah State (another team in the MWC that isn’t exactly Boise State) and FCS UC Davis.

In Passing S&P+, Bill Connelly’s advanced stat that adjusts for opponent strength, Wyoming’s 2017 passing game ranked 119th, second-worst in the MWC. 

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Allen was a bad pick and shows yet again, this regime has no clue what to do with a Qb. 

From the Taylor/Peterman debacle last year, to the McCarron debacle in the preseason, and now on to another Allen/Peterman debacle, it's clear they have no clue or no answer at the position. 

We had options on the board, with a polished passer in Rosen, or a much better candidate in Jackson, (and Deshaun Watson last year)  we took a sub-par Qb who struggled heavily against every talented college team he faced.   

Allen was a project pick.   Everyone knew it when they picked him, hence the reason Peterman was named starter. 

To make matters even worse, there is zero supporting cast surrounding him aside from an aging McCoy. 

I hope Allen's performance is judged as critical as Peterman's has been, but judging by the amount of homers on this board, I doubt it will be.  Every problem that existed while Peterman was at the helm will continue to exist with Allen at the helm.  But Allen homers will use every single one of them to defend him.

Truth be told, we still don't have a starting Qb or franchise Qb on this roster. 

"Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has spent months as a top prospect. Allen’s is a weird case, though. He was only an FBS starter for two years, and he didn’t put up great numbers in either. Allen’s career line at Wyoming: a 56.2 completion rate, 7.8 yards per attempt, 44 touchdowns, 21 interceptions, and a mediocre 137.7 rating."

• In 2017, Allen played two Power 5 opponents. He completed 50 percent of his passes for no touchdowns and three interceptions, averaging 3.7 yards per attempt with a 119 rating, in losses to Iowa and Oregon.
  • The year before, he threw one touchdown and five picks in a loss to Nebraska, his only other Power 5 opponent.
  • Against conference rulers Boise State and San Diego State, he had one decent game against each, but also one rough game against each.
  • His best starts ever were against Utah State (another team in the MWC that isn’t exactly Boise State) and FCS UC Davis.

In Passing S&P+, Bill Connelly’s advanced stat that adjusts for opponent strength, Wyoming’s 2017 passing game ranked 119th, second-worst in the MWC. 

So Allen is just a physical talent but Jackson is polished already.  Ok.

2 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Damn! Why didn't anyone tell us this before???

Oh, and "oogle?"