The Game Plan Moving Forward

Okay, so we know that it's Allen time. These should be our next moves.

1. Move Groy to RG, Bodine to C. Miller has proven to be the weakest of the 5. He needs to hit the bench. I am hoping we bring in another G into the mix. Joeckel, Boone, Evans would be fine. Eventually work them into LG, and then let best of Groy/Bodine fight it out a C. 

2. Activate Khari Lee. He's our best blocker at TE.  He and Logan Thomas should be on the field more. They both offer additional protection and a quick outlet with good reach, as well as solid hands.

3.  Use our RB's as receivers more with 2 back sets, no FB.  Why do good teams seem to have RB's that gain 50-70+ yds on receptions each week. LA employs Gordon and Eckeler. NO uses Ingram and Kamara. ATL is a monster with Freeman and Coleman.  CHI uses Howard and Cohen. Even the lowly Jets made a nice combo out of Powell and Crowell.  Murphy and Shady should be on the field together. DiMarco is useless. 

4. Design plays to move the pocket on occasion. The middle of our pass blocking is the weak link. Don't let teams just exploit a bullrush to trap Allen and make him run before he can see the field. Move him around, move receivers around, let the TE's and RB's be quick outlets. 
5. While keeping the Defense moving, take some deep shots. But take them at the right time when you've set up plays to make the defense bite for trying to stack the box.

6. Spread the field. Be like Tommy B. He's got crap for WR's but spreads the field and gets everyone involved, so you have to account for everyone.   KB. Kerley, Clay, Croom, Thomas, Zay, Murphy and Shady all need to get targeted and it has to be unpredictable. Exploit the matchups, give Josh 2-2.5 seconds and he will get the ball there. 

7. Run with misdirection. Don't be so predictable with the straight forward runs. We need to scheme to get some space for Shady, Murphy and Ivory to run through with the threat of play action and quick strikes. 

Hopefully that works. They better be scheming up this or something better.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I'm not sure any player shuffling/scheme redesign will solve the lack of talent issue.  It could maybe help them lose by less than 44 pts, but it's not going to produce wins IMO.

It can definitely produce wins.  It’s the difference between going 0-16 and 4-12.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I know it will be met with some snarky comments but what about Incognito?  He is a pro bowl guard who is available and wants to play.  He was fine when he was in the 716.

Desperate times call for desperate measures 

If the league clears him, I am not against it at all. He may feel like home again and get off the cliff.

• Like (+1) 1

bring back the delay middle screen Gailey liked to run  Allen can see over the line where they couldn't run that play with Tyrod  Find creative ways to get Shady the ball in space.  Take some shots downfield when given the opportunity  get more out of the TE's  Croom looks promising, design some plays to get him the fb  More crossing routes/slants/jerk routes

• Like (+1) 1

Love the idea about the RB's.  The double wheel routes would be a real pain for teams to defend against and they don't take long to develop like routes downfield.  Shady and Murphy definitely have the speed to make it work well.  I honestly can't figure out why DiMarco is taking up a roster spot.  Maybe he can run block moderately well, but I don't see anything overwhelming in that area.  He sucks at receiving.  Hands are bricks.

• Like (+1) 1

If we dont want these huge point blow outs then our offense HAS to stay on the field....lost in all of his but pointed out plenty is we how long it took for the offense to even generate a 1st down.

As a coach I understand that while the OL is under talented you dont make big changes when you are trying to biuld chemistry with a starting unit.   I would first insert Wyatt Teller for Miller and see what that offensive line looks like because I feel he is being under rated and he has been with the team through training camp and pre season.

I would NOT insert Bodine because I dont think he is very good.

Debol has to devise check down options for his young QB......if he is slow in his read progressions right now then he needs to be able to go to a safety valve.

I think the running game is going to open up a bit because if they stack the box and dont respect Josh Allen's arm I think he is gonna burn them.

but the offense HAS to stay on the field more

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If we dont want these huge point blow outs then our offense HAS to stay on the field....lost in all of his but pointed out plenty is we how long it took for the offense to even generate a 1st down.

As a coach I understand that while the OL is under talented you dont make big changes when you are trying to biuld chemistry with a starting unit.   I would first insert Wyatt Teller for Miller and see what that offensive line looks like because I feel he is being under rated and he has been with the team through training camp and pre season.

I would NOT insert Bodine because I dont think he is very good.

Debol has to devise check down options for his young QB......if he is slow in his read progressions right now then he needs to be able to go to a safety valve.

I think the running game is going to open up a bit because if they stack the box and dont respect Josh Allen's arm I think he is gonna burn them.

but the offense HAS to stay on the field more

totally agree.  There needs to be a safety valve or two.  I like the OP's idea of two RB's.   One left, one right, and perahps a TE safety valve.  

Speaking of TE's, perhaps we can trade Clay to Tenn.  He is worthless in this offense for whatever reason.  I think Croom  nad Thomas will have better seasons.    

7 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Okay, so we know that it's Allen time. These should be our next moves.

1. Move Groy to RG, Bodine to C. Miller has proven to be the weakest of the 5. He needs to hit the bench. I am hoping we bring in another G into the mix. Joeckel, Boone, Evans would be fine. Eventually work them into LG, and then let best of Groy/Bodine fight it out a C. 

2. Activate Khari Lee. He's our best blocker at TE.  He and Logan Thomas should be on the field more. They both offer additional protection and a quick outlet with good reach, as well as solid hands.

3.  Use our RB's as receivers more with 2 back sets, no FB.  Why do good teams seem to have RB's that gain 50-70+ yds on receptions each week. LA employs Gordon and Eckeler. NO uses Ingram and Kamara. ATL is a monster with Freeman and Coleman.  CHI uses Howard and Cohen. Even the lowly Jets made a nice combo out of Powell and Crowell.  Murphy and Shady should be on the field together. DiMarco is useless. 

4. Design plays to move the pocket on occasion. The middle of our pass blocking is the weak link. Don't let teams just exploit a bullrush to trap Allen and make him run before he can see the field. Move him around, move receivers around, let the TE's and RB's be quick outlets. 
5. While keeping the Defense moving, take some deep shots. But take them at the right time when you've set up plays to make the defense bite for trying to stack the box.

6. Spread the field. Be like Tommy B. He's got crap for WR's but spreads the field and gets everyone involved, so you have to account for everyone.   KB. Kerley, Clay, Croom, Thomas, Zay, Murphy and Shady all need to get targeted and it has to be unpredictable. Exploit the matchups, give Josh 2-2.5 seconds and he will get the ball there. 

7. Run with misdirection. Don't be so predictable with the straight forward runs. We need to scheme to get some space for Shady, Murphy and Ivory to run through with the threat of play action and quick strikes. 

Hopefully that works. They better be scheming up this or something better.

you are so wrong . john miller was drafted by us after playing 48 games at left g. not only would it be smart to move him there, he could be our next rueben browm...( some of youz will have to look that up i'm sure). however move jethro bodine to center as he is a better run blocker than pass pro, put groy at rg as he could help mask mills' f'ups.

juan is screwing this team with his love affair with ducasse, and it won't be until mcd has tha mcballs to change that. other than that , it's window dressing and josh will get one too many horsecollar ddts.( might have to look that up too)... that's if vladdy don't step on his ankles.....

23 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

you are so wrong . john miller was drafted by us after playing 48 games at left g. not only would it be smart to move him there, he could be our next rueben browm...( some of youz will have to look that up i'm sure). however move jethro bodine to center as he is a better run blocker than pass pro, put groy at rg as he could help mask mills' f'ups.

juan is screwing this team with his love affair with ducasse, and it won't be until mcd has tha mcballs to change that. other than that , it's window dressing and josh will get one too many horsecollar ddts.( might have to look that up too)... that's if vladdy don't step on his ankles.....

Miller graded out as the worst lineman last week and it wasn't that close. Groy was #2 crapper and Ducasse #3 suck job according to PFF.