Our initial fears of Brian Daboll’s incompetence were not quelled after Week 1

Wayne Arnold

12 hours ago, corta765 said:

You need to read Cover 1's review of the game. DaBoll did what he could with his part a lot, the players execution failed and he relied on certain things like KB ISO routes to often. But the concepts in general were sound. He is going to get a lot of flak for an offense with no talent

Having now had my own all-22 access, I think it's a mixed bag.

I think the players' execution failed at times because they were being asked to execute situationally inappropriate plays or plays that were too "cute", things this group of guys are not physically gifted enough to be able to execute smoothly against top opponents. 

IMHO, if Daboll can't recognize what his guys can or can not do and game-plan to their strengths, it's not a sound concept.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And went and replaced him with a similar successful OC. 

Two OCs hired if they fail he will not survive to pick a third. 

You could totally be right.....but there is also the playoff birth in the 1st year.

I wonder if Pegula is tired of cycling out gms and coaches and wants to let them work.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You could totally be right.....but there is also the playoff birth in the 1st year.

I wonder if Pegula is tired of cycling out gms and coaches and wants to let them work.

Playoff birth means nothing this year. The team got worse. Yes I get it that was pary of the plan but the reality is McD is tied to Allen. He succeeds McD does. He doesnt he is fired. Daboll was the one McD chose to develop Allen

16 hours ago, White Linen said:

There isn't an offensive coordinator alive that can derive a game plan with Peterman, our WR's and O line.  

Apparently hall of fame Qb Kurt Warner felt differently.   

I will take Warners diagnosis and analysis over anything Daboll says or does. 

The offensive scheme was weak, predictable and ineffective. 

18 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

" Daboll was so good in Cleveland ......... no strike that.  He was so good in Miami ...... wait no not there either.  He was so good at ... well... coaching Gronk.  If that doesn't deserve a shot destroying the highest draft pick we used on a QB in 20 years I don't know what does.  McDermott already proved he can't spot talent or coach offense last year.  We need a coaching staff that can coach both sides of the ball. "

Two weeks...two starters. We saw a glimpse of this self-inflicted indecision last year with the benching of Tyrod for Peterman. A few days prior to last year's decision, McDermott reassured reporters with questions about the starting QB by saying that Taylor was "our guy". A few days later, after a loss, McDermott announces that Peterman will start against the Chargers, and that the entire team, (including Tyrod), were all in support of the decision and ready to move forward together as a unit. I even remember the announcers during the broadcast complimenting Tyrod for his professionalism. We all know what happened next. I honestly don't believe that this coaching staff has any idea how to recognize or utilize a QB's talents.

Edited by Herb
grammar

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

My question is why are Beane and McD getting a pass for a situation they created themselves?

Because I think they did it with a long term goal in mind. They knew that in order to get rid of some of the players they didn't want, they were going to have to deal with the consequences left to them by the prior regime. They also didn't entirely create this situation, unless you are proposing a conspiracy theory involving Wood and Incognito retiring. Dareus was the biggest source of dead cap that they created themselves, and they obviously viewed the team as better without him. It was Whaleys contract that guaranteed him the money. 

2 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Because I think they did it with a long term goal in mind. They knew that in order to get rid of some of the players they didn't want, they were going to have to deal with the consequences left to them by the prior regime. They also didn't entirely create this situation, unless you are proposing a conspiracy theory involving Wood and Incognito retiring. Dareus was the biggest source of dead cap that they created themselves, and they obviously viewed the team as better without him. It was Whaleys contract that guaranteed him the money. 

So they created this dead cap thing their selves. That is a fact. They also geeatly aided the talent void themselves yet another fact. So no sorry I am not giving them a pass. 

I understand Why they did it, but they did it and now to use it as an excuse and fans give them a pass for THIER plan is just asinine if you ask me. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So they created this dead cap thing their selves. That is a fact. They also geeatly aided the talent void themselves yet another fact. So no sorry I am not giving them a pass. 

I understand Why they did it, but they did it and now to use it as an excuse and fans give them a pass for THIER plan is just asinine if you ask me. 

That's a fair assessment. For me personally, I'm just reserving judgement for next year. I expect them to put together a competitive roster with all the cap space and draft picks available to them next year. If they can't do that, we'll get to enjoy the head coach/ gm hunt by the end of 2020. This season, I'm just looking for the development of Allen and Edmunds, maybe a few others. I guess we'll see. 

23 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I disagree with this as this HC was able to get his team in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and I doubt Pegs will pull the plug after only one losing season.

I think McD has three more years... unless of course, the Bills play all year like they did against the Ravens as I don't think any owner could take many of those 47-3 blowouts.

IMO, the only way I see McDermott getting 3 more years is if, a)we make it back to the playoffs, b)we at least post some 8-8 or 9-7 seasons, field a competitive team, and our draft picks show real promise.  Not necessarily all of those things combined, but it would earn him more time,  at least in my book. 

As thrilled as I was with us finally ending the drought last year, I think a great deal of people put too much stock in it, and maybe, just maybe McDermott got a little more credit than he was due.  Yes, we achieved a 9-7 record, but even with Dalton backdooring us into the postseason,  we had a pretty mediocre season by most standards.  

I can admit I'm not as high on McDermott as I was last year, but I can also admit my feelings are of a personal, emotional nature.  From the team coming out and looking as unprepared and undisciplined as I've ever seen them, to McD twice now making a decision to trot out a QB who actually makes Chad Pennington look like a rifle-armed QB, and not really wanting to hold himself accountable for the loss...those are the things that have personally dampened my view of him.  However, I'm more than willing to stand behind him and see how this season turns out.  But given the Pegula's nature, I'd bet a dismal season this year, followed by a losing season at the mid-point of next year, and McD just may find himself brushing up that resume....just in case.

I will be interested to see if things change now that he has a QB that can back the defense off a bit. I suspect that the Chargers will try to bring a lot of pressure early, as that's generally the case when facing a rookie QB until they prove they can beat it. Ease them off with some screens and quick slants. Then get the run game going. Then beat them over the top with some nice play action. We shall see. I think game planning will be easier with Allen under center, but ultimately it will still come down to the players executing the plays.

12 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

IMO, the only way I see McDermott getting 3 more years is if, a)we make it back to the playoffs, b)we at least post some 8-8 or 9-7 seasons, field a competitive team, and our draft picks show real promise.  Not necessarily all of those things combined, but it would earn him more time,  at least in my book. 

As thrilled as I was with us finally ending the drought last year, I think a great deal of people put too much stock in it, and maybe, just maybe McDermott got a little more credit than he was due.  Yes, we achieved a 9-7 record, but even with Dalton backdooring us into the postseason,  we had a pretty mediocre season by most standards.  

I can admit I'm not as high on McDermott as I was last year, but I can also admit my feelings are of a personal, emotional nature.  From the team coming out and looking as unprepared and undisciplined as I've ever seen them, to McD twice now making a decision to trot out a QB who actually makes Chad Pennington look like a rifle-armed QB, and not really wanting to hold himself accountable for the loss...those are the things that have personally dampened my view of him.  However, I'm more than willing to stand behind him and see how this season turns out.  But given the Pegula's nature, I'd bet a dismal season this year, followed by a losing season at the mid-point of next year, and McD just may find himself brushing up that resume....just in case.

I'm starting to change my mind about this regime also and the more I think about allowing that rookie to play behind one of the very worst offensive line ever fielded by the Buffalo Bills. The more I want to see an offensive minded HC and a GM with the smarts to build a power O line like the old (1989) and new ( two years ago before all the injuries) Cowboys line or even as good as the Bills line was when they went to the super bowl.  

These defensive minded coaches just don't get that you need a really good offensive line to start with ...which means build the lines first. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, billsfan1959 said:

I will reserve judgment on Daboll. I'm not sure anyone could have done much better with the offensive talent that was on the field last Sunday.

Sort of like commissioning Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - and then giving him paint brushes without any bristles...

Not really because Michelangelo was a genius and invented methods in much more complicated fields to solve problems. He essentially did that. Almost 500 years later and they're still talking about him.

Daboll has failed everywhere he has been and will be forgotten in 10 years. Awful analogy.

21 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I will be interested to see if things change now that he has a QB that can back the defense off a bit. I suspect that the Chargers will try to bring a lot of pressure early, as that's generally the case when facing a rookie QB until they prove they can beat it. Ease them off with some screens and quick slants. Then get the run game going. Then beat them over the top with some nice play action. We shall see. I think game planning will be easier with Allen under center, but ultimately it will still come down to the players executing the plays.

time will tell.  Hopefully sooner than later 

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Not really because Michelangelo was a genius and invented methods in much more complicated fields to solve problems. He essentially did that. Almost 500 years later and they're still talking about him.

Daboll has failed everywhere he has been and will be forgotten in 10 years. Awful analogy.

That was the point: Not sure even a genius could have done much with the talent and execution on the field last Sunday. Awful comprehension.