Our initial fears of Brian Daboll’s incompetence were not quelled after Week 1

Wayne Arnold

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

There isn't an offensive coordinator alive that can derive a game plan with Peterman, our WR's and O line.  

...according to the TBD glossary, ONE GAME is sufficient enough as a body of work for critical analysis....and while we're talking coaching, special thanks to McD as HS for having this club woefully unprepared, DC Frazier's game plan carrying over from pre-season and of course OL Coach Castillo for his legendary brick wall......game 1 was ugly but it is game 1 in a transition year....

8 hours ago, JPP said:

If history has shown anything...chances are Daboll will be a disappointment....only thing is who will be more putrid with the playcalling...Dennison or Daboll?

How much of this is on MCD though also??

I don't care who your OC is, the head coach almost always has final say.

It's why rexy had issues with his offenses both in NY and Buffalo at times.

I remember a story about when the Jets signed sparano, and Ryan wouldn't let him call anything.

He walked away from 2 years of guaranteed money just to get away from Rex after a year.

McD is so boring and conservative.

He makes vanilla ice cream look exciting.

I truly wonder if he is overriding creative/aggressive offenses because he wants to keep things basic and conservative.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We all wanted to believe that Daboll’s putrid tenure as NFL OC was due to poor personnel.

While watching the game on Sunday I was disappointed by the lack of imagination/creativity and struck by how seldom the receivers were able to get open - which is a strong indication of scheme issues as much as it is (or perhaps more than) wide receiver talent limitation.

Kurt Warner and Doug Farrar have confirmed my fears that Daboll might in fact stink.

The second opinion sticks more with me because i read a article on Rumblings that said there were plenty of missed opportunity's that Petermen didn't take advantage of so even though Warner may have a point i'm hoping that part of that could be due to the inexperience of the QB's !! Time will tell !! 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

When I see All - 22 film of WR's running wide open without a Bengal within 10 yards of them there's nothing wrong with the OC or the offense.    If we had a QB who actually threw to the open WR's no one would be criticizing Dabol.

Where's this film?

Oh you mean of a preseason game with backup DBs?

gotcha.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Just out of curiosity, what plays would you dial up for: an offensive line that holds up for an average of 2.4 seconds, a wide receiver corps that we all knew was probably the worst in the league, and features a giant man with feet for hands as our number one guy, and a quarterback who's qbr ranks 244 out of 247 since 2001 and has the arm strength of a jv cheerleader? (All stats were off the top of my head so maybe slightly inaccurate but you get the point)

Im guessing it would be something like quick, timing based throws and a few Our Fathers every time Nate dropped back to pass. If you watched the post game interview with Weddle, he talked about all of that. He said something to the effect of, "we watched Nate play, and we knew they were going to use quick short timing passes, and that he has a noodle arm that would give us chances to intercept him." 

Just like I'm giving Beane and McD a slight pass this year for having to put together and coach a roster with a mind boggling handicap due to the dead money, I'm giving Daboll a slight pass in that I don't think anybody could get success out of probably one of the least talented offenses ever assembled. As much as it sucks, we're going to have to play the waiting game to see what these guys can do when they have 90M in cap space and a full draft next year before we can get a reading. 

As a disclaimer, I'm also not that confident in Daboll. I'm just willing to wait till next year to let him coach an NFL offense, which we do not have this year. 

My question is why are Beane and McD getting a pass for a situation they created themselves?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Daboll may fail as the Bills OC but judging him after what possibly could be the worse offensive player performance of 2018 is a bit foolish.

I personally am not judging him after that performance.  I had huge doubts long before that train wreck.  Notice Perry Fewell isn't a DC anywhere.  You know why? Because everywhere he coached the defense's gave up a ton of points.  People can like Daboll all they want.  If his offenses don't score more than 20 ppg on average, hopefully significantly more, then he is going to end up a TE coach again and sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I personally am not judging him after that performance.  I had huge doubts long before that train wreck.  Notice Perry Fewell isn't a DC anywhere.  You know why? Because everywhere he coached the defense's gave up a ton of points.  People can like Daboll all they want.  If his offenses don't score more than 20 ppg on average, hopefully significantly more, then he is going to end up a TE coach again and sooner rather than later.

Which will also mean that McD will not be the HC. He wont get a third crack at OC

15 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

If the bolded is the bar for his job they better fire him now.  LOL

Half the teams in the NFL last year had 21 or less points per game average.

I truly believe Sean Payton couldn't get 21 points per game from this offense.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If the bolded is the bar for his job they better fire him now.  LOL

Half the teams in the NFL last year had 21 or less points per game average.

I truly believe Sean Payton couldn't get 21 points per game from this offense.

22 teams averaged 20 ppg or more last year according to ESPN.  If we can't do better than the 23 ranked offense then he should be fired.

oops 21 ........ close enough.

Edited by Maine-iac

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

You need to read Cover 1's review of the game. DaBoll did what he could with his part a lot, the players execution failed and he relied on certain things like KB ISO routes to often. But the concepts in general were sound. He is going to get a lot of flak for an offense with no talent

There is only so much you can do with NP at QB. Honestly even if DaBoll was absolutely awful in week one (Which I don't know hard to tell by the tape) I still am not in panic mode just yet. Hopefully week 1 was just an epic disaster and not a complete foretelling of the teams fortunes this season. 

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

How much of this is on MCD though also??

I don't care who your OC is, the head coach almost always has final say.

It's why rexy had issues with his offenses both in NY and Buffalo at times.

I remember a story about when the Jets signed sparano, and Ryan wouldn't let him call anything.

He walked away from 2 years of guaranteed money just to get away from Rex after a year.

McD is so boring and conservative.

He makes vanilla ice cream look exciting.

I truly wonder if he is overriding creative/aggressive offenses because he wants to keep things basic and conservative.

I think McDermott is now clearly over his head.....lots of decisions whether it was him or beanie have come back in two fold and biten them in the butts......now as we all see it.....its scrambling time to try to make something out of this monumental mess THAT IS COMPLETELY ON THEM work....i truly hope both these idiots are on a very very short leash..

• Like (+1) 2