Our initial fears of Brian Daboll’s incompetence were not quelled after Week 1

Wayne Arnold

24 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yeah I started this thread but I though Daboll called a much better game against the Chargers. Saw far more open receivers and gave Allen opportunities to move the ball and score touchdowns. Unfortunately, having a raw rookie at QB is going to result in frustrating growing pains.

...not sure who did it here, but someone posted a great illustration of Daboll's scheme, particularly highlighting his blocking scheme in one sequence with supporting illustrations...made me think about when Deadskins hired former OC Al Saunders from KC who brought his 700 PAGE PLAYBOOK to town.....overkill (COUGH)??..........

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well Hey Y'all.  No working run game, Watch This

He actually did call a good passing game.  There were open receivers Allen didn't see on several plays.

Here's hoping he fixes the run game and Go Bills!

...which is something to get used to realistically as the kid grows over time.......BUT...don't see Ben & Jerry's new flavor "PATIENCE PLEASE" being an OBD fan favorite is not any time soon......:thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

28 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Daboll incompetence is way over the top IMO this early on......but some of the more astute posters here have identified the complexities of his schemes....similar posts about Castillo's schemes.......on the flip side, Leslie does NOT know how to scheme, draw up a formidable game plan or adjust to counter punch.....may not have the greatest personnel in the world, but Schwartz came in with a scheme in mind and quickly adjusted with positive results.....where the hell is McD on all of this?.....isn't he the Big Dawg in charge?......with plenty of player newness (Shady being the exception), how can complexity be beneficial?...and please do NOT use that dreaded, effin' "P" word......

Ugh. Schwartz should be our HC right now.

As far as the P word, just give it a few years and it'll all get ironed out. By 2027, you're gonna regret ever doubting this regime.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ugh. Schwartz should be our HC right now.

As far as the P word, just give it a few years and it'll all get ironed out. By 2027, you're gonna regret ever doubting this regime.

..we'll take your comments in order....

1. Schwartz is a good DC; may be harsh to judge his HC abilities on his first gig with Detroit, but he seems content as a DC; pinpoint focus on defense versus overall Big Dawg may not be the stress level he wants..

2. 2027?...seriously?......I'll be dead and "tanning" in Hell's Kitchen, so text me as long as Apple and Verizon have the proper "heat resistant" tools. :thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..we'll take your comments in order....

1. Schwartz is a good DC; may be harsh to judge his HC abilities on his first gig with Detroit, but he seems content as a DC; pinpoint focus on defense versus overall Big Dawg may not be the stress level he wants..

2. 2027?...seriously?......I'll be dead and "tanning" in Hell's Kitchen, so text me as long as Apple and Verizon have the proper "heat resistant" tools. :thumbsup:

We didn't hire Schwartz because he "failed" in Detroit, where careers go to die, so we hire the failure from NY. That's old news and nobody cares. 

As far as Daboll, I know the focus has been on the passing game and Kurt Warner's comments, but I'm more concerned about the run game. I understand defenses are gonna stack the box because we don't scare anyone deep, but I'd love to see a more creative approach on the ground. We saw recently with Roman and Lynn what that looks like. If this team is gonna be remotely competitive, they've got to be able to run the ball. That'll make Allen's life easier and keep the defense off the field.

Dive left/dive right/pass just isn't going to cut it with this roster.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We didn't hire Schwartz because he "failed" in Detroit, where careers go to die, so we hire the failure from NY. That's old news and nobody cares. 

As far as Daboll, I know the focus has been on the passing game and Kurt Warner's comments, but I'm more concerned about the run game. I understand defenses are gonna stack the box because we don't scare anyone deep, but I'd love to see a more creative approach on the ground. We saw recently with Roman and Lynn what that looks like. If this team is gonna be remotely competitive, they've got to be able to run the ball. That'll make Allen's life easier and keep the defense off the field.

Dive left/dive right/pass just isn't going to cut it with this roster.

...the NY blowhard hire, a marketing disaster to fill seats put us back two years.....coordinators get promoted to HC positions only to fail , yet return to their roots successfully, with Schwartz being one...he was hired on his defensive prowess and was successful...and yes I agree with more creativeness on the ground......but somebody eloquently posted with illustrations about Daboll's complex blocking scheme to make running game inroads.....and I'm still suspect about Castillo's blocking schemes......easy cop out is "our OL sucks"...they are here and what we have to work with....so adjust your damn schemes to fit the personnel.....not like Costco has premier OL candidates on the effin' shelf......GOOD coaches make it work to the best of their abilities.....we sure as hell can be competitive.......

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yeah I started this thread but I though Daboll called a much better game against the Chargers. Saw far more open receivers and gave Allen opportunities to move the ball and score touchdowns. Unfortunately, having a raw rookie at QB is going to result in frustrating growing pains.

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well Hey Y'all.  No working run game, Watch This

He actually did call a good passing game.  There were open receivers Allen didn't see on several plays.

Here's hoping he fixes the run game and Go Bills!

Both good posts.

After re-watching the game the Bills showed they could move the ball.

Drives are being stalled by penalties, sacks, negative yard running plays and some inaccurate throws/dropped balls.

All of these reasons will happen to any team...............Bills just need to minimize the number of these bad plays.

By the way Hapless, good posts about the run game blocking scheme!

• Thank you (+1) 1