McBeane's way of rebuilding makes no sense

Jerry Jabber

54 minutes ago, QCity said:

This isn't a remodel where they are just replacing the drywall. They are completely leveling the house and repouring the foundation. That foundation consists of players like Josh Allen and Tremaine Edwards, and right now there just isn't much built on top of them (yet).

He's building this house the exact way it should be built (whether fans understand this or not) -- through the draft. Unfortunately, it's going to take time. It's a waste of energy getting upset over 1-yr contract stop-gaps like Vonte Davis.

So while the knee-jerk crowd is out there having a conniption after each loss this year, know this -- if Beane is right about Allen, he's already the best GM we've had in the last 20 years.

How is it a waste of time to be upset over Vontae Davis signing for 5 million then not dressing.   We let a playoff caliber CB (in this D) in EJ Gaines walk and then sign for $4 million.  Even if Gaines was hurt a lot we still won the games he played in.   Plus Davis has the same or worse injury history.  Is it a waste of time to second guess a starting CB decision?  How does McBeane get a pass from you on that one?

As for building through the draft, how can you build an entire roster with 7 picks per year on 4-5 year contracts?   You have to utilize free agency, trades, and eventually resign existing core players to make it work.  You should review our dead cap situation on Spotrac.  The split between contracts in the dead cap is 51% Whaley, 49% Beane already.       

Is it a knee jerk reaction when we go from a playoff roster to what we viewed on Sunday?   

3 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

How is it a waste of time to be upset over Vontae Davis signing for 5 million then not dressing.   We let a playoff caliber CB (in this D) in EJ Gaines walk and then sign for $4 million.  Even if Gaines was hurt a lot we still won the games he played in.   Plus Davis has the same or worse injury history.  Is it a waste of time to second guess a starting CB decision?  How does McBeane get a pass from you on that one?

As for building through the draft, how can you build an entire roster with 7 picks per year on 4-5 year contracts?   You have to utilize free agency, trades, and eventually resign existing core players to make it work.  You should review our dead cap situation on Spotrac.  The split between contracts in the dead cap is 51% Whaley, 49% Beane already.       

Is it a knee jerk reaction when we go from a playoff roster to what we viewed on Sunday?   

Why didn’t v. Davis play? He didn’t even dress. 

What was the reason he didn’t even dress?

Gaines on Sunday was an absolute liability.

so frustrating!! 

Edited by COTC
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Nope, I'm not upset that the Bills could possibly field a bad team this year. I just think they are not building this team the right way and are mismanaging their assets, kind of like Tim Murray did with the Sabres as he spent draft picks and prospects like a drunken sailor. Why would you draft a QB high and don't have a decent enough O-line to protect the kid? If Allen plays the rest of the season, he'll give David Carr a run for his money on being the most sacked NFL QB in history. What do you think that will do for Allen's development? 

I get so tired of this argument. 

Many of the best QBs in NFL history were drafted to the WORST franchises in the league.  Bad O-Lines.  Bad receivers.  No running game.

If you have the chance to draft a franchise QB (especially on a team that hasn't had one in 20 years), you don't ask questions.  YOU DO IT!!!!

What if Beane had kept those 2018 picks, and used them to upgrade the O-Line and WR corps instead?  Then we get to the 2019 Draft with the #1 Pick.... and all of the prospects are terrible.  Or maybe we are drafting at #2 or #3 overall and there is only one good QB available. 

For all the b!+ching about roster management, the Bills have a potentially VERY STRONG foundation to build the future team on.  Quarterback (Allen), Left Tackle (Dawkins), Middle Linebacker (Edmunds) and Cornerback (White).  If those guys work out, we could be set for a very long time.

You build a team for success from the trenches out.  Building a dominant offensive line hasn't been a priority for the Bills in years.  Hate to say it but drafting a top prospect quarterback without fixing the line is a recipe for injury, loss of confidence, and/or disillusionment.  Hopefully, it won't happen with Allen but if it does, it's because we put the cart before the horse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There doesn't appear to be much a strategy here at all, with the possible exception of dumping everyone that was drafted by the previous regime. They have two kids playing QB, but they have a bunch of rejects playing D Line.  There is no consistency here at all.  If there is a common denominator in this equation someone please tell me what it is.  I'm hoping against hope that it isn't just a bunch of guys who used to be Charlotte! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You build a team for success from the trenches out.  Building a dominant offensive line hasn't been a priority for the Bills in years.  Hate to say it but drafting a top prospect quarterback without fixing the line is a recipe for injury, loss of confidence, and/or disillusionment.  Hopefully, it won't happen with Allen but if it does, it's because we put the cart before the horse.

OR because this was a deep QB crop and the talent of the players justified the pick.

Meanwhile....there appears to be some line talent in next year's draft and a group of QBs nowhere near as talented.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The Bills led, or were near the top, in Rushing the past couple of years.  The problem is that 40% of that O Line up and quit in the same offseason, and the front office did LITERALLY NOTHING about it at all.

2 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Seems McBeane is intent on gutting this roster of players from the Whaley regime and doing a full blown rebuild. I have no problems with doing a rebuild, but the way they are doing it makes absolutely no sense. Moving up and wasting draft picks on two players in the first round this past year was not a smart move. If the Bills are going to be at the top of the draft in 2019, then they could have drafted their QB of the future then instead of what they gave up for Allen. It's too early to tell if Allen and Edmunds will pan out. Both guys have the physical size and traits to be very successful. I am glad that McBeane is trying to address the QB position, because it's been neglected for way too long. Maybe McBeane liked the QB's in this draft class better than the 2019 draft class...who knows. I just think it's not a smart move to use up all these picks when there are so many holes to fill on the team. O-linemen take time to develop, so I think it would have been good for the Bills to use some of this draft capital and address the O-line early. I think building up the lines on both side of the ball first should be a teams priority.

It seems McBeane's FA pick ups/trades have been more misses than hits. Now, if these players McBeane are signing are just "stop-gap" players, then that's one thing, but if they're being counted on to be impact players, then McBeane has really screwed up. Vontae Davis, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Jordan Matthews...not an impressive list of players. Seems McBeane was hoping somebody on the D-line would be free to get to the QB with Lotulelei clogging up the middle, but so far this preseason and in Week 1, it hasn't come to fruition. If Lotulelei doesn't pan out, that could be more dead cap money if he gets cut or traded. 

I think fans are starting to see this guy is a total loser and gives away players for pennies on the dollar.  Like it or not Sammy Watkins is a talented WR and this loser gives him away for second round pick at the age of 23.  Terry made huge mistake hiring this plug

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

What was your prediction for the year? Did you think we'd win eight or nine or ten games? People who predicted a lot of wins this year weren't quite understanding how long it takes to build consistent success when you're switching schemes and the regime before you put you in awful salary cap shape.

Literally read my mind - said this on a few other threads, too, but for how much we knew of this going into the season with all the moves made this offseason and dead cap space, the reaction to our first game is a bit incongruous. Certainly deserves a critical eye, but the fact that anyone on this board though we might make another 8, 9, 10 game winning season and make the playoffs again is beyond understanding. The playoffs last year were not the intent, and it wasn't until they added KB that they really moved to "maybe give the playoff run a shot." Having ended the drought, they got an 18 year monkey off of the franchise's back, and could move forward with rebuilding a team for the future.

This is a team poised to contend as intended more so in a year or two down the line. This season was never going to be the turnaround year - just don't think people expected the kind of loss we gave ourselves on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Just out of my own curiosity, what the hell do you know about building an NFL roster?

This is the kind of asinine comment that keeps me away from this site for long stretches, until I start craving the excellent observations and insights also to be found here. So we need to be experts in building a roster to comment on how the Bills are doing with it? Or is it just that we all need to blow sunshine in every post? God, I hate fools like this. Engage your mind before you post, buddy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, finn said:

This is the kind of asinine comment that keeps me away from this site for long stretches, until I start craving the excellent observations and insights also to be found here. So we need to be experts in building a roster to comment on how the Bills are doing with it? Or is it just that we all need to blow sunshine in every post? God, I hate fools like this. Engage your mind before you post, buddy. 

Do you feel better now?  I never said anyone had to be an expert.  Now get to your anger management class before you are late.

6 minutes ago, finn said:

Then be a contrib and tell us what you would have done....not just B word about it?

That is what drives me nuts....you think a rant is actually contributing to the board....its not.....

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Got their QB hopefully on both sides of the ball and they're clearing a ton of cap space.  It will be on them now to draft well and do a good job with their cap dollars in free agency.

Enough.  How many times you going to post the same thing?

...we lose the first game, look more like Agway fertilizer and we're done....2018 is over.....so where are the 4-12, 5-11 or 6-10 TBD prognosticators?.....or the ones talking about the brutality of the schedule and perhaps 0 fer 8?....as painful as it was, can't have it BOTH ways IMO....sure it was ugly.....but...a major concern is McD, Daboll, Frazier and Castillo showed absolutely zero in their ability to adjust against what was known to be a formidable defense....NOTHING......how we lethargically got to the result is a BIGGER concern than the result itself......

11 minutes ago, finn said:

Blowing crap in every direction may feel good but it's a waste of time to most everyone else.   

OTOH, having a base of knowledge to make rational and intelligent comments about the Bills and NFL is becoming a rarer and rarer commodity on TSW...