The Decline of the Legion of Boom

Coach Tuesday

Very interesting read and I like hearing behind the scenes stories especially from the good teams because surprisingly there is usually alot more dysfunction behind the scenes with good teams than you would expect.  It's hard to sustain success for a long period of time in the NFL.  Even when the team is built up and in contender mode that window of opportunity is still very short to win Super Bowls.  Yes they probably should have won at least one more Super Bowl but so should've the 85 Bears.  Ego's, money, distractions, aging all get in the way and it sounds like things unraveled pretty fast in Seattle but make no mistake that was a good era of football for the Seahawks.  

Good article. That secondary was one of the best ever. It sounds like Wilson was one of the guys and that they shared a culture of internal accountability that the coaches didn't create. I'm sure it was all lovey dovey until the SB loss to the Pats. I don't think any team could recover from that loss and stay united. That was such an epic fail on the biggest of stages. 

Nothing lasts forever in football. The defensive stars don't sound like they understand that the rules are different for franchise QBs. The Pats have shown us that the other parts are interchangeable but the franchise QB is not. 

I think that it came down to money. When Wilson outgrew his rookie contract he had to get paid and that meant the rest could not get star treatment or pay. Since then Seattle has lost its personality. They haven't looked the same since Marshawn left. Their OL which was once a strength is now an embarrassment. 

I'm sure that having Sherman scream at everybody was Ok when they were winning but when it they didn't the coaches felt the need to take back control. Typical management tactic of bureaucratic control. 

Still I think Wilson is a special player and should be treated like one. You wonder if they'll rebuild a winning culture. Sherman was a special leader and I think his clout in the locker room outshone Wilson. The team will always go with the franchise QB. Still you wonder what might have been had they held together another season.

• Like (+1) 2

All this just makes the Bills getting to a fourth Super Bowl after losing three, and having a very good chance to win that one at least until halftime, even more remarkable.  The Bickering Bills became a tight, cohesive unit that held together.  Kelly lasted a couple more years, and it wasn't until a few years later that they let Thurman, Andre, and Bruce all go on the same day.  

Eff them.  Hate almost every one of them, except for Wilson.  Most of all, Caroll.............Glad his stupid play call, giving the friggin Pats a Super Bowl after they hadn't won in quite a while - turned into the downfall of this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hated players like Richard Sherman when I coached.  The idea that you could tell a player to his face in front of everyone, "You suck", is destructive to the team concept.  How does that in any way hold Wilson accountable?  How does it help him to get better?  I never saw a player get better from withering criticism.  They get better from coaching and explaining mistakes to eliminate them.  And, he really thinks Bevell called the pass just to get Wilson the MVP instead of Lynch?  Wow.  I think Bevell had a Gilbride moment, trying to be too clever by half.  Bottom line, I have no respect for a man that deliberately injured Carp and got away with it.    

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I hated players like Richard Sherman when I coached.  The idea that you could tell a player to his face in front of everyone, "You suck", is destructive to the team concept.  How does that in any way hold Wilson accountable?  How does it help him to get better?  I never saw a player get better from withering criticism.  They get better from coaching and explaining mistakes to eliminate them.  And, he really thinks Bevell called the pass just to get Wilson the MVP instead of Lynch?  Wow.  I think Bevell had a Gilbride moment, trying to be too clever by half.  Bottom line, I have no respect for a man that deliberately injured Carp and got away with it.    

Same when I coached. I 100% agree. 

Still think that Unger for Graham trade was a pivitol moment in the decline. 

• Like (+1) 2

Carroll's always been a snake and a liar, so it's not surprising that his locker room fell apart at the hands of a middle school girls clique. I hope his turtleneck sweater swallows his stupid pinhead whole someday. 

Sherman and friends are also to blame. They tried to emulate the BMore defense/attitude that made the Ravens so successful year after year. Instead, they decided to be divisive and oust the QB, probably because he wasnt quite tough enough for their liking. Eventually, it all became the Sherman Show, and playing football was secondary to the showboating. 

• Like (+1) 3

IMO a lot of the issues happened when WIlson signed his new deal.  His contract took up a lot of cap space which could have been used in other areas on the team.  I don't fault WIlson or the Seahawks for giving him the deal but when your QB is no longer on a rookie contract, you no longer have the cap flexibility you once had.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:05 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

Didn't particularly care for Sherman before the Carp incident.  Loathed him afterwards...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dave Allen said:

When the locker room goes south, the on-field product goes with it. Outside of Wilson, they've got almost nothing left. I predict the Seahawks have a top-five pick in next year's draft. 

Would not surprise me.  Do they even have a decent RB?

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Please just don't. This post is tremendously terrible. Did you want a day of national outrage? For a dumb football play?

I thought the election should have been postponed so that instead of half a day of national outrage, it could have at least gone till Thursday.  Maybe Friday. 

• Haha (+1) 1