Grading the Pegulas Thus Far

Pegula Grades  

184 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade the Pegulas on their tenure as the owners of the Buffalo Bills?

2. 2. How would you grade the Pegulas on their tenure as the owners of the Buffalo Sabres?

I like what they are doing. They got themselves in a little bit of a hole grade wise with the whole Rex Ryan thing (and allowing Rob Ryan to come in) and blowing up that defense Marrone had created with Jim Schwartz. Got to give them a solid B at this stage but they're trending upwards. I like what I'm seeing currently and with the money and picks we have next year I'm getting really optimistic again.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think you can overlook the "kept them in Buffalo" aspect. I could try, but people were literally in tears when the news broke that they bought the Bills. To me, it was a better day than making the playoffs. 

Lets see what Kim does as President now that Russ is out. Remember that he was the one that sold everybody on the Ryan experiment. 

Edited by golfball323
  • Like (+1) 4

Bills:  B

Probably a little early.  I dont blame them for Whaley as I think they slow played things at first to get a better idea of what they were doing as owners.  Record wise the Bills are 33-31 since the Pegula's took over, and made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.  Additionally, and this doesnt show on the field per se, but the monetary growth of the Bills over the three years prior to the Pegula's taking over was 5.3 Million a year.   Since they have taken over the teams value has grown on average by 33 Million a year.   I honestly think they are doing a hell of a job.

Sabres: D

I honestly should have went C here.   The product on the ice has been beyond bad.   You cant justify a 34% win percentage, and multiple stops and starts as far as GM and Coaches.  However, you have to give them credit for getting the Americans back and growing a pretty great farm system.   In addition, the monetary growth rate of the Sabres when the Pegula's took over was pretty much flat.   The team wasn't making money.   The Pegula's have grown the brand very well, growing the Sabres value an average of 26.7 Million dollars since they acquired the team.   

• Like (+1) 2

I think they have the right pieces in place managerially at least finally for both organizations.  I think the Sabres have the potential to make a fast jump with elite, superstar talent at 2 key positions in Eichel and Dahlin, and another potential up and coming star in Middlestadt.  

Bills will depend on how Allen pans out but Beane and McDermott have done a great job establishing a culture, eliminating dead weight from players who didn't want to buy in and setting themselves up with lots of cap room by discarding bad contracts and eating the money this year to give them lots of flexibility.  Grade: B

I think the Bills will be worse this year than last year and I think the Sabres will obviously be better.  How big of a jump the Sabres can make depends on a lot of things...not least of all how the locker room responds to adversity this year and how much they are willing to work at their craft. However, honestly in my opinion there was no excuse for them to be as bad as they were last year. None...that team wasn't great by any means but they should have been at least 15-20 points clear of last place...they just didn't have the right attitude and mindset...maybe O'Reilly was a big part of that...we will find out.

Grade: C

Edited by matter2003

A's across the board.

They may not have had championships in their short tenure, but they are clearly doing everything they can to succeed. They continue to attempt to put the right people in place, and let them do their job- without getting in the way.

Once they find the right people (and maybe they have in some cases), it will eventually work.

Drought over, Sabres have probably the NHL's best prospect pool.

From another standpoint, their contributions to Buffalo cannot be understated. They are the only type of owners that can undoubtedly fill the shoes of Ralph Wilson, and may turn out to provide more production to boot.

Edited by Shotgunner
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Probably a little early.  I dont blame them for Whaley as I think they slow played things at first to get a better idea of what they were doing as owners.  Record wise the Bills are 33-31 since the Pegula's took over, and made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.  Additionally, and this doesnt show on the field per se, but the monetary growth of the Bills over the three years prior to the Pegula's taking over was 5.3 Million a year.   Since they have taken over the teams value has grown on average by 33 Million a year.   I honestly think they are doing a hell of a job.

I honestly should have went C here.   The product on the ice has been beyond bad.   You cant justify a 34% win percentage, and multiple stops and starts as far as GM and Coaches.  However, you have to give them credit for getting the Americans back and growing a pretty great farm system.   In addition, the monetary growth rate of the Sabres when the Pegula's took over was pretty much flat.   The team wasn't making money.   The Pegula's have grown the brand very well, growing the Sabres value an average of 26.7 Million dollars since they acquired the team.   

Very impressive given the on ice product since they took over. 

We are lucky we have owners with deep pockets and are all in on the city of Buffalo. Couldn't ask for anything better than that. Can you imagine if Trump or Bon Jovi ended up buying the Bills? Would be the biggest SH*T show in sports. We are Lucky!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I gave them a C because of the Ryan Bros., Barnum and Bailey Circus they created.

It seems they've learned from it; time will tell.

I agree with this.  It looks like the Pegulas got it right the second time around, and I think they'll give Beane and McD the time they need to get things turned around.  Seems positive thus far.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

The drought is over, some questionable moves, and some quality ones. I think I give them a "B" due to the fact they actually hired Rex Ryan

That's why I'd give them a C. I mean, they get an F for those years, and an A+ for hiring McD and company. Evens out to a C in my book.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Just curious: where did you look up the growth numbers?

8 minutes ago, boater said:

Unsung aspect: Bills and Sabres tickets are amongst the lowest priced tickets in their respective leagues.

Well, the Sabres haven't done much to justify paying top dollar in recent years. My brother was never too big of a Sabres fan growing up. But now goes to like ten games a year, because he snags like $12 tickets.

Even intelligent billionaires have a learning curve.

Initially the Pegulas felt they could buy a championship, buy chemistry, and have it all now. The change IMO, was when Brandon’s style of “zero end game” thinking and result was let go, while placing their trust in McBeane, and building for the future instead of spinning the wheels today. .

Early grade, F. Today’s grade B for recognizing the issues and dealing with them,.

Final grade expected to be B+.