Why is everyone talking up the Ravens in the National Media

RPbillsfan

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Are they beatable? Of course they are. 

Agree to disagree.   

Baltimore's strengths (pass rush, INTs, power running game) match up well with Buffalo's weakness (pass protection, Peterman's arm strength, Edmunds lack of experience).  Flacco may be a shell of his former self but he's got a better WR group this year and something to prove--which should be more than enough in week 1.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Unless the Ravens go under .500 (they won't) then they would be mad, I mean crazy, to get rid of John Harbaugh. He'd be on the market about 0.1 seconds. But new GM sometimes does mean new HC....

I live in North Baltimore County, and the vibe was 50/50 around here (media and fanbase) that he would be brought back this year. 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

White had an excellent rookie season, and is a valid success.  Edmunds, however, hasn't even played a single NFL game yet, but his play in preseason suggests that he probably wouldn't be starting if the Bills had sent Preston Brown packing.   He may eventually develop into a good MLB, but at this point, he's not proven to be good or bad.

Like every single other draft choice this year for every single team. The point is, he was projected to go higher and is an athletic and physical freak of nature, and everyone agrees about that.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Oline is garbage

Dline is garbage

Keep trying to survive on hopes and feels

I'll use my eyes

Your eyes haven't seen them yet. YOU are going on "feels".

And, BTW, I haven't expressed my opinion about how good or bad they are.

Edited by MJS

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Like every single other draft choice this year for every single team. The point is, he was projected to go higher and is an athletic and physical freak of nature, and everyone agrees about that.

Your eyes haven't seen them yet. YOU are going on "feels".

My eyes have seen them.

Watching them struggle and be terrible in preseason is my eyes seeing them.

Don't start with crap about preseason not mattering.

It doesn't matter for established players who we know are good (Brady, McCoy, Rodgers, gurley, white, poyer, Hyde, blah blah)

It matters tremendously for olines and dlines who are trying to prove they can actually start, yet are showing zero ability to perform in game.

Also in regards to Edmunds, just like with Allen, he is an athletic freak, but very raw.

What I saw from him in preseason was a guy who's solid on the pass and in the open field, but gets fooled hard on run plays, and overcommits to the wrong spot frequently, then can't recover, which has exactly what his scouting report said.

He's young and raw, and I think will be very very good, same with Allen, but they are just not ready at the moment.

10 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Suggs is 52 years old. He’s definitely on the decline at this point. They don’t scare me. Bills 17 Ravens 13

Gotta agree that the Ravens aren’t a scary team this year. How the Bills stack up against such a team will tell us a lot about what the remaining 15 games are going to look like. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I keep hearing about how good the Ravens are and how they will challenge for a playoff spot in the AFC.

Really, they have an average QB with a dimenishing skill set, no top of the line running backs (sorry, don't see Alex Collins as even close to elite), an ok offensive line, very solid at T, interior decent.  The WR group dosent scare me challenging the Bills secondary and their #1 pick TE Hayden Hurst is out Sunday.

Defense is solid and not spectacular, solid outside pass rush in Suggs and Judon, very average secondary.  Defensive line is solid but again not elite and they are down two starters one on the defensive line (Willie Harris) and without their top corner in Jimmy Smith (suspended for being a knucklehead)

The special teams return game is weak, great placekicker in Justin Tucker and a good punter.

They have the look to me of a 6 win team at best.

So, please tell me why the national media is all over their jocks unless I'm totally missing something.

Every year they get this media love and mostly they disappoint.  So I am not sure why they are getting so much attention again, but then again, the Browns suck every year and then the next year they are always gonna be the "surprise" team and turn it around.  Andrew Luck led Colts teams of the past always got the same love and were always a SB contender then would suck.  Maybe the media figures if they keep saying it then it will one day be true and they can say they were right for once lol.  

Personally I think the Ravens are gonna finish somewhere between 7 and 9 wins.  If Flacco can finally have that bounce back year, then sure, they could contend for double digit wins possibly if they stay healthy.  They did get him some better weapons to throw to at least, so its possible.  But they gotta show it on the field first for me to buy in that Flacco can lead them to double digit wins and the playoffs.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I know. It is crazy. He would walk into another job. He is outstanding. 

I like him too, but he’s been there a long time. Recent bottom-line results do matter (unless you’re the Bengals). 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I like him too, but he’s been there a long time. Recent bottom-line results do matter (unless you’re the Bengals). 

They shuffle the WRs every year trying to make Flacco look better. They finally drafted his replacement. When was the last time they made the playoffs or beat a decent team? 

John keeps getting hit with the OTA violations too. Does he not know them or just intentionally cheating?

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

White had an excellent rookie season, and is a valid success.  Edmunds, however, hasn't even played a single NFL game yet, but his play in preseason suggests that he probably wouldn't be starting if the Bills had sent Preston Brown packing.   He may eventually develop into a good MLB, but at this point, he's not proven to be good or bad.

Totally Disagree with that Preston Brown does not have the skill set the McGee is looking for an Edmunds does Edmonds absolutely would be starting

10 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I keep hearing about how good the Ravens are and how they will challenge for a playoff spot in the AFC.

Really, they have an average QB with a dimenishing skill set, no top of the line running backs (sorry, don't see Alex Collins as even close to elite), an ok offensive line, very solid at T, interior decent.  The WR group dosent scare me challenging the Bills secondary and their #1 pick TE Hayden Hurst is out Sunday.

Defense is solid and not spectacular, solid outside pass rush in Suggs and Judon, very average secondary.  Defensive line is solid but again not elite and they are down two starters one on the defensive line (Willie Harris) and without their top corner in Jimmy Smith (suspended for being a knucklehead)

The special teams return game is weak, great placekicker in Justin Tucker and a good punter.

They have the look to me of a 6 win team at best.

So, please tell me why the national media is all over their jocks unless I'm totally missing something.

They were very nearly a playoff team last year and by all accounts they have improved at skill positions.  What is so confusing and why are Bills fans so butt hurt over every stray opinion, article, tweet involving the Bills or any of their 2018 opponents?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They shuffle the WRs every year trying to make Flacco look better. They finally drafted his replacement. When was the last time they made the playoffs or beat a decent team? 

John keeps getting hit with the OTA violations too. Does he not know them or just intentionally cheating?

I would say he’s right up there with Belichick as a main cheater. That’s either good or bad, depending how you look at it. I do know that a lot of people (including players) haven’t been happy with him since after their Super Bowl when he started dumping players like Bernard Pollard who didn’t buy into his process. The Ravens “identity”isn’t close to being what is was not so long ago.

Bills - in the NFL 1970-2017:  in the postseason 14 times.

Ravens - in the NFL 1996-2017:  in the postseason 10 times (including two Super Bowl wins).

That's why everyone's talking up the Ravens.  They are a wildly successful franchise, which Buffalo is absolutely not.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

They are media darlings because they drafted TTV2 only this time they used a 1st rounder instead of a 4th ;)

Funny how they have him listed at #2 QB but even they admit RG3 will come in if Falco gets hurt.

I look at their depth chart and it doesn't look that impressive.

Hopefully the Bills can come out and surprise them with an early score or two and quiet the crowd.

Very astute. 

-Tyrod Taylor was drafted in the 6th round, not the 4th

-Lamar Jackson is not TTV2, he passed for 2000 more yards in 3 years as TT did in 4 years, similar yardage to Josh Rosen over the same time period and more than JA ever did

-The media probably likes Baltimore because they made marked improvements on offense last year under new OC Marc Trestman, they were #9 offense and #6 defense on points and barely missed the playoffs, and the media figures they're primed to make another playoff run after several years out.

Other than that, though, great take!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Very astute. 

-Tyrod Taylor was drafted in the 6th round, not the 4th

-Lamar Jackson is not TTV2, he passed for 2000 more yards in 3 years as TT did in 4 years, similar yardage to Josh Rosen over the same time period and more than JA ever did

-The media probably likes Baltimore because they made marked improvements on offense last year under new OC Marc Trestman, they were #9 offense and #6 defense on points and barely missed the playoffs, and the media figures they're primed to make another playoff run after several years out.

Other than that, though, great take!

Trestman is coaching in the CFL. Morninweh is their OC. They improved their running game last year. Morninweh loves to throw it though.