LeVeon Bell’s teammates turning on him (update: still not back)

YoloinOhio

I think they are upset because they know he can't get a new contract until the end of the season and can only sign the franchise tag, so the whole thing is just Bell and his agent grandstanding because he feels they didnt offer him enough( which it sounds like they didn't). The players probably know this and it sounds like he told them he would be there Wednesday and no showed.

6 hours ago, QCity said:

But to demonize the NFL over this? Hah! Where do you think Bell would be if it wasn't for the NFL? He'd probably be bagging groceries like someone mentioned and he be arguing over a 75 cent/hr raise at the end of the year.

I don't think anyone is Demonizing the Steelers or the NFL. But you clearly are minimizing the players based on what they do for a living based on their compensation.

Whether he's "Bagging groceries" or shooting for the top RB contract, a person is wise to go for the best monetary situation they can. If they don't, they are doing a disservice to themselves, and  in this case anyone else who may come after them in a similar position. 

That being said, this comment is ridiculous. Did you know he has a degree from Michigan State? Did you know he's actually somewhat accomplished in the music industry (even though I'm not a fan of that music lol) How about you?

Edited by Jdragon2
  • Like (+1) 1

This is why as a union the NFLPA gets smoked by owners with every CBA.  They need to remain quiet, let the union speak on the matter whether they like it or not.  Owners and management love this talking by the players.  Divide and conquer the players and win every CBA negotiations.

25 minutes ago, Jdragon2 said:

I don't think anyone is Demonizing the Steelers or the NFL. But you clearly are minimizing the players based on what they do for a living based on their compensation.

Whether he's "Bagging groceries" or shooting for the top RB contract, a person is wise to go for the best monetary situation they can. If they don't, they are doing a disservice to themselves, and  in this case anyone else who may come after them in a similar position. 

That being said, this comment is ridiculous. Did you know he has a degree from Michigan State? Did you know he's actually somewhat accomplished in the music industry (even though I'm not a fan of that music lol) How about you?

Working-class resentment of black athletes - a Buffalo specialty.

3 hours ago, PeterDude said:

You can get someone in the 3rd round, no way should the Bills pay for a high priced free agent RB. That's one position you absolutely do not go crazy for in free agency.

Idt some rando in the 3rd round will give headaches to a defense like a Leveon 

7 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Idt some rando in the 3rd round will give headaches to a defense like a Leveon 

I think Bell’s uniqueness from most other RBs are his contributions in the passing game. He’s been their 2nd leading WR and wants to be paid for his abilities at both positions. 

17 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

ADITI, do you love me? Are you riding?
Say you'll never ever leave from beside me
'Cause I want ya, and I need ya
And I'm down for you always

damnit, its in my head now...thanks

11 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

?? He was a second rounder

fantasy football

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He was in college when those players agreed to the CBA. But I'm sure you'd continue down some path saying he should do something else then or take less than market value. So I guess that's probably irrelevant to you.

The CBA does not force a player to sign the franchise tag contract. Bell is in no way violating any rule, nor is the league or team able to fine him for not showing up or signing. 

Its unbelievable to me that his teammates are getting in his contract business when he is only one play away from never playing again.  I hope Bell strolls in in Week 10 looking like he spent the season eating Cheetos on the couch and cramps up his first play and goes on the "injured" list.  Bell deserves to get paid a real contract with real guaranteed money.  I am always on the players side in these kind of disputes.

• Like (+1) 1

The Steelers are simply maintaining their business model by not caving to Bell. They’ve always been known as one of the more frugal organizations in the NFL. It’s worked well for them for decades, so why change it. The franchise tag, while especially restrictive for RBs and their shorter careers is still a tool made available to management in the CBA. Nothing wrong with it. Perhaps the players should negotiate a better CBA for themselves. The RB position has been devalued in the NFL for some time now. Is either side really wrong here ? Bell is doing what he is able to with the options he has. So are the Steelers. I’ll bet many on this board would almost always side with management if this thread were on PPP involving a business other than a sports league. Not sure why this should be any different. It’s management vs unionized labor. 

10 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

I'm actually buying the "he knows how this works"  is the exact reason he is going this route.

He knows exactly what you said: the Steelers are bleeding him dry, racking up league high touches, while getting by paying him below market value, and releasing misleading contract offer details. 

I think the 5/70 was a good deal on total #

The issue was the guarantee was only $10.

That means the franchise tag was worth almost 50% more guaranteed.

The Steelers have a long-standing history of not offering more than 1 year guaranteed, which I understand that they don't want to break that rule.

The issue is they had just given brown 4/68 with $19mil guaranteed.

Then they turned around and basically spit on Bell by only offering $10 guaranteed 

So not only did they offer Bell aav of 14 instead of the 17 for brown (about 18% less available), they offered him only 52% the guarantee (10 vs 19).

I'm sure somebody will go all in on the "rb isn't an important as a wr" and "the drop-off from brown to replacement level is much greater than bell to replacement level" which I understand, but 50% less guaranteed is just insulting to him.

There are just just a few things that I would disagree with.

First the 10 million guaranteed would be his signing bonus and that coupled with his 10+ million salary last year meant he would of made over 21 million for last year rather than the 12 million he got on the franchise tag.  

With 2018 - he would get 33 million for 2017 and 2018 based on the contract he was offered and with the franchise tag he will make 26 million assuming he plays every game this year also. If he sits out some this year that number is less.  

It will then depend upon what he gets as a contract because I am not sure if he sits out or comes back and pulls a hammie and misses time - what kind of a long term contract he will get.  What we know is that he could of had 10 million up front, 33 million in compensation by the end of this year and 45 million by the end of next year.  He is currently at 12 million and if he gets all of 2018 salary - he will be at 26 million - meaning next year just to match the old contract - he will need 19 million plus.

He might “win” on this deal with his next contract, but the difference is going to be smaller than you would think and if he sits out and accumulates fines - it will be even less.  It doesn’t make it wrong, but your portrayal is incorrect - it is not 10 million versus 14 million.  It was 10 million plus his salary last year and this year which is significantly more than the franchise tag in the end.

The other issue is yes there are differences between positions and they slotted him at the time as the highest paid RB by a significant margin.  He wanted WR money based on his play and that is fine for him to try and get it, but I think the Steelers and most teams realize the RB replacement level is significantly easier to replace and cheaper than top end WRs.  It is why NYG were criticized for the Barkley pick.  

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

There are just just a few things that I would disagree with.

First the 10 million guaranteed would be his signing bonus and that coupled with his 10+ million salary last year meant he would of made over 21 million for last year rather than the 12 million he got on the franchise tag.  

With 2018 - he would get 33 million for 2017 and 2018 based on the contract he was offered and with the franchise tag he will make 26 million assuming he plays every game this year also. If he sits out some this year that number is less.  

It will then depend upon what he gets as a contract because I am not sure if he sits out or comes back and pulls a hammie and misses time - what kind of a long term contract he will get.  What we know is that he could of had 10 million up front, 33 million in compensation by the end of this year and 45 million by the end of next year.  He is currently at 12 million and if he gets all of 2018 salary - he will be at 26 million - meaning next year just to match the old contract - he will need 19 million plus.

He might “win” on this deal with his next contract, but the difference is going to be smaller than you would think and if he sits out and accumulates fines - it will be even less.  It doesn’t make it wrong, but your portrayal is incorrect - it is not 10 million versus 14 million.  It was 10 million plus his salary last year and this year which is significantly more than the franchise tag in the end.

The other issue is yes there are differences between positions and they slotted him at the time as the highest paid RB by a significant margin.  He wanted WR money based on his play and that is fine for him to try and get it, but I think the Steelers and most teams realize the RB replacement level is significantly easier to replace and cheaper than top end WRs.  It is why NYG were criticized for the Barkley pick.  

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

Read.

Your numbers are way off.

26 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Read again - my numbers are accurate based on that article  and the tweets - again I understand the 10 million guaranteed versus 14 million guaranteed, but in addition to his 10 million he would be getting his salary that when combined with the signing bonus makes for 33 million over 2 years.

He loses 4 million in guaranteed money for this year, but with his salary of 12 + million and the 10 million guaranteed- he will play this year for significantly less on the franchise tag.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Read again - my numbers are accurate based on that article  and the tweets - again I understand the 10 million guaranteed versus 14 million guaranteed, but in addition to his 10 million he would be getting his salary that when combined with the signing bonus makes for 33 million over 2 years.

He loses 4 million in guaranteed money for this year, but with his salary of 12 + million and the 10 million guaranteed- he will play this year for significantly less on the franchise tag.

You are talking about last year in you numbers.

Last year has nothing to do with it.

The contract was offered this year.

So he would have made $10mil guaranteed out of a total of $33 over the first two years, but it didn't say what his actual salary was this year.

The deal was structured to be able to cut him after the first year, which means it could have only been $15 in year one and $20 in year two, but the Steelers could cut him after year one.

Instead the franchise was $14.5 guaranteed this year, with the ability to sign anywhere he wants next year.

35 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

It even states ages in the article that if he plays on the franchise tag again next year - with the huge increase that makes to over 17.4 million for 2019 (all guaranteed). It will only be a million less than he would have been payed taking the Steelers deal with the signing bonus for 2018-2019.

Yes there is a chance he gets hurt, but if that happens this year and he gets cut - he will make next to nothing going forward and only get the franchise of 14 million for the year.

He has a chance to make huge money after this year - so I get it, but he is also still taking a risk.

3 hours ago, bills_fan said:

Its unbelievable to me that his teammates are getting in his contract business when he is only one play away from never playing again.  I hope Bell strolls in in Week 10 looking like he spent the season eating Cheetos on the couch and cramps up his first play and goes on the "injured" list.  Bell deserves to get paid a real contract with real guaranteed money.  I am always on the players side in these kind of disputes.

I was shocked to see his teammates got at him too. It makes me think Big Ben, who I expect is the team leader, is supportive of the players doing this. And it doesn't shock me that Big Ben would have the owner's back after the **** he put them through.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

So he would have made $10mil guaranteed out of a total of $33 over the first two years, but it didn't say what his actual salary was this year.

The deal was structured to be able to cut him after the first year, which means it could have only been $15 in year one and $20 in year two, but the Steelers could cut him after year one.

Instead the franchise was $14.5 guaranteed this year, with the ability to sign anywhere he wants next year.

Unless they tag him again next year to either force a trade or hold his rights.

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Additionally - you have numbers in your response - let’s use that,  He would of got 10 million in year 1 for the signing bonus - plus the 15 million salary for a total of 25 million for the year.  I think it would be less I used about 12 million , but even then it would be 22 million for 2018 versus 14.5 million.  

Then an let’s say you are right they cut him before 2019 - he loses the rest of his contract, but is free to sign elsewhere with a new signing bonus and is actually better off.

Where he loses out is if he signed with Pittsburgh and they kept him 4 or all 5 years on the deal and he could not get another big contract.  

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I was shocked to see his teammates got at him too. It makes me think Big Ben, who I expect is the team leader, is supportive of the players doing this. And it doesn't shock me that Big Ben would have the owner's back after the **** he put them through.

Team game vs it's jus business.

I would want to move on Bell if i were Tomlin thinking like I think Tomlin thinks. But get as much as possible.

D'head who can ball and has a strong agent.so he likely will get his.

I don't like him cuz his words. But he sure can ring that bell.

tough spot for Pittsburgh as a Team and their Fans.