LeVeon Bell’s teammates turning on him (update: still not back)

YoloinOhio

On 9/6/2018 at 2:07 AM, QCity said:

I'm sorry but I think playing the violins for Bell is just crazy. This is a guy that's already made ~$15M playing football. He just (allegedly) turned down a contract that would have paid him $33M guaranteed over the next 2 years, which would mean he could have made about $48M in the NFL before the age of 28. And I'm not even getting into endorsement money. But I'm guessing there is a lot of ego involved here. He wants more guaranteed money than Gurley but that not going to happen because A) he's older B) he's got a lot more mileage on him and C) Colbert is not an idiot.

But to demonize the NFL over this? Hah! Where do you think Bell would be if it wasn't for the NFL? He'd probably be bagging groceries like someone mentioned and he be arguing over a 75 cent/hr raise at the end of the year.

Wow, so your response is we should all be grateful to the NFL? Deadspin had an article about how big of a douche Roger is, and Roger went on and on about how he protects the shield, he protects the integrity of the game, and randoms come up and thank him for that.

I thought it all had to be in his head, but you just made me believe these people exist. You're probably one.

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Exactly what I said a few pages back. These guys really need a primer on responsible union membership.

Will never happen. Foster will have made ~$18m at the end of his 10th year in the league. That's better than the majority of NFL players. Expecting the grunts of the NFL to care about the stars getting a little extra is unrealistic. Everyone is out for themselves and most will never see the benefits of their strong union membership because their careers are so short.

The Steelers players speaking out, right or wrong, are just salty. Personally, I hope more continue to speak out and it ruins their season. F the Steelers.

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He's not taking the injury risk into consideration. I look at it like this: Bell wants $40M guaranteed. If he plays this whole year under the tag he gets $14.5M, but if he gets injured at any point it's very unlikely his next contract would include $26M in guarantees to equal the $40M (14.5+26) he feels he's worth. So if he sits for 10 weeks and gets only 7/17ths of his $14.5M ($5.99M) tender, it's still a better deal considering he only has to play half a season (50% reduction in wear and tear, similar reduction in injury likelihood) imo. He loses about $8.5M this season but makes up the difference 5x on the new deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The fact that you're comparing yourself to a football player shows me you are already in over your head. We all make less than what we bring to the table, otherwise every business would be losing money.

I mean you just rambled on there with a whole lot of non sense that I never said.

But in the end, the point is the same. How could I justify hating on, or why would I hate on a guy who has a limited window in terms of earning potential trying to maximize that? You throw out all this **** like you understand the !@#$ing point, but clearly you don't. 

I almost feel insulted by your response. What a joke. 

I can't agree with this at all, however, I do think you're right if that makes any sense. The Steelers are an example of why the league will never have a meaningful strike, guaranteed contracts or get rid of this franchise tag bull ****. They all turn on each other, and quickly.

No they aren't turning on each other.  They just are fed up with this particular "teammate"  (he's not THEIR employee, he's their colleague).  Their success depends on him.  It's a team.

He's a RB.  He's been offered 27 million the past 2 seasons.  That's a lot more than the rest of them take to show up every week to play football.  I'm sure every one of them thinks they are worth more than the Steelers are paying them, but they show up anyway.  

At some point, even with pro athletes, it's not just about they money.  These players should be the ones to tell you (and others) this is true.

Posters saying these guys don't know what they are are talking about, or "should keep their mouths shut"....it's laughable, really.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

The fact that you're comparing yourself to a football player shows me you are already in over your head. We all make less than what we bring to the table, otherwise every business would be losing money.

I mean you just rambled on there with a whole lot of non sense that I never said.

But in the end, the point is the same. How could I justify hating on, or why would I hate on a guy who has a limited window in terms of earning potential trying to maximize that? You throw out all this **** like you understand the !@#$ing point, but clearly you don't. 

I almost feel insulted by your response. What a joke. 

I can't agree with this at all, however, I do think you're right if that makes any sense. The Steelers are an example of why the league will never have a meaningful strike, guaranteed contracts or get rid of this franchise tag bull ****. They all turn on each other, and quickly.

Why would I compare myself to a professional football player? They get paid to entertain. I get paid to kill bad guys. I have a limited window, and am one of the best in the world at what I do, which is why I'm offered higher paying jobs. But I understand commitment, and honoring an agreement that I entered, as well as respect for the people I work with who depend on me.

"We all make less than what we bring to the table, otherwise every business would be losing money." But yet, you think everyone should hold out on doing their jobs to make more money. Perhaps rather than insulting someone about "rambling on" you could try reading and considering the point being made.

If you can't understand my point, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, GoBills808 said:

On 9/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, GoBills808 said:

He's not taking the injury risk into consideration. I look at it like this: Bell wants $40M guaranteed. If he plays this whole year under the tag he gets $14.5M, but if he gets injured at any point it's very unlikely his next contract would include $26M in guarantees to equal the $40M (14.5+26) he feels he's worth. So if he sits for 10 weeks and gets only 7/17ths of his $14.5M ($5.99M) tender, it's still a better deal considering he only has to play half a season (50% reduction in wear and tear, similar reduction in injury likelihood) imo. He loses about $8.5M this season but makes up the difference 5x on the new deal. 

After seeing what happened to earl thomas, I would sit. I am assuming what Bell has made in his career so far is enough to retire on(12 or 14 million last year alone).  I'm confused on something, did bell sign the franchise tender? If not, he's not under contract. How does he get fined? Or is he just giving up the $. Just curious cuz I keep reading he is being fined $800,000+ for every game he misses. Can't fine someone not under contract.

Edited by Dopey

IMO the right play for the Steelers now is to trade a 5th round pick to the Bills for McCoy and find(or generate) a way to not pay Bell at all when he reports.    Conduct detrimental etc..

They've done a really good job utilizing bad people(Ben, Bell, Bryant the list goes on) to consistently compete but if that is your model you can't let precedents like what Bell is doing get set.

The mid-2000's Bills found out the hard way what letting players dictate terms of employment leads to.    That finally ended when Buddy drew the line on Schobel and called his bluff.  He retired but it ended the sequence of events that started with Levy/Jauron granting trade and non-franchise requests and lead to moves like Marshawn Lynch and Jason Peters angling their way off of the team.

• 2 weeks later...