Going to the mattresses: Josh Allen edition

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

The Cincy game was a test.  I almost believe it was on purpose (I know I am nuts).  If Daboll ever, ever put Vlad and Miller one on one with Gino Atkins or Marshall Newhouse or Jordan Mills one on one with Carlos Dunlap on a real game day-- he should be fired.  I think they wanted to show Josh what real bullets looked like.  He failed, but not miserably so--He didn't throw 5 INTs for example.

If you're nuts, I'm nuts with you.  I dunno about "on purpose", but if you go back and look at the play calling in the 1st preseason game vs the 2nd-4th preseason game - it seems pretty clear to me that it was NOT a game plan designed to help a rookie QB survive behind a questionable line, and it seems pretty clear to me that Daboll has such plays up his sleeve.

I kind of felt it was intended to send a "ok, rook, you've got a lot to learn here" message.  And I agree with being positive that Allen retained his poise and didn't do dumb sh**.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're nuts, I'm nuts with you.  I dunno about "on purpose", but if you go back and look at the play calling in the 1st preseason game vs the 2nd preseason game - it seems pretty clear to me that it was NOT a game plan designed to help a rookie QB survive behind a questionable line, and it seems pretty clear to me that Daboll has such plays up his sleeve.

I kind of felt it was intended to send a "ok, rook, you've got a lot to learn here" message.  And I agree with being positive that Allen retained his poise and didn't do dumb sh**.

It's one of things I think he actually improved on at Wyoming from 2016-17. People crap over his numbers in his last season but despite having a worse line and worse receivers his interceptions went from 15 to 6.

35 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's one of things I think he actually improved on at Wyoming from 2016-17. People crap over his numbers in his last season but despite having a worse line and worse receivers his interceptions went from 15 to 6.

Nice. Quite an improvement! He didn't have many near picks in the preseason,. Maybe one plus the 4th down throw it up mistake. That was unexpected and a big plus 

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I said this at other times in other ways but I think it warrants repeating. Josh was criticized in college for being inaccurate. But there are at least three different types of inaccuracy.

1] Guys that just do not have the touch to throw consistently accurate.

2] Guys that have crappy mechanics that causes them to be inaccurate too often.

3] Guys with good mechanics whose mechanics break down too often which causes those passes to be inaccurate.

The first two are a lot harder to fix than the third. Josh has pretty good if not very good mechanics, even counting the Jordan Palmer feet too far apart observation. Because of the rush, and lack of talent around him, Josh (his mistake) let his mechanics break down too often when he tried to force too many throws or rely on his arm to get him out of trouble.

But that is not really an inaccurate passer problem, it's a decision problem, and he already looks way, way better at it in the three games he has played. It's completely learnable and coachable.

He's not an inaccurate passer at all. 

17 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Do you have eyes bro?

Sure, what's your point? 

We throw around "best ever" titles to guys who can't beat out 5 Pick Peterman? 

We all know he has a big arm.  If he can't hit a guy in stride with that big arm, which is the major worry with Allen,  it doesn't really matter. 

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

3] Guys with good mechanics whose mechanics break down too often which causes those passes to be inaccurate.

This could be caused by panicking under pressure, or failing to read a defense quickly. 

Both of those are pretty challenging to correct. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Yet another thing you're incorrect on. Tell me something, does it suck being constantly wrong?

If you picture in you mind that the poster you responded to is actually Josh Rosen himself, with that smug look on his face typing feverishly on his phone it actually becomes pretty funny.?

Liked the fact that we swung for the fences, he may be the best QB in the draft or he may never fix his accuracy issues, either way we made big moves to land a top 10 prospect, bout time. I wanted Mayfield, Allen or Darnold in that order. People forget that Allen was projected to go #1 overall for months leading up to the draft, the guy is 6'5 240, with an exceptional arm and impressive mobility. People talk about 2018 being a developmental year but I hate to break it to everyone, it may take 4 years before we see Allen's apex, but of course I expect years of playoff football in the meantime, I am just cautious because I know it will take time and fans need to be patient. All I care about is an upward trajectory. 

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the pick when the Bills made it.  Mainly because of  the measure-ables (height, arm strength...). Figured they could work him in gradually over this year & next.

But after seeing him in preseason with his coolness in the pocket, arm strength & foot speed, I was impressed. I knew we picked a winner. Sure, he's going to make

some mistakes in regular season games, that's all part of the learning curve. Ask Peyton Manning.

4 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Well only one of the four QBs selected is starting and thats Darnold.  So the fact that he isnt starting is no big deal.  Shouldnt Mayfield your number one overall pick have been able to beat TT who throws for 100 yards a game.

Allen did some things very well this preseason.  The third game was a joke due to our joke of an o line.

I think they are all just jealous cause hes so damn handsome!  Or so they tell me.

And Cornfed has a hot GF:;)

So now they are really jealous.

Besides they are all butt hurt because the Bills didn't draft TTV2 in round 1.

2 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Where we picked it was obviously Rosen or Allen at that point.  What were your thoughts on Rosen going into the draft?

He was my second choice behind Mayfield. I liked everything about him. Good arm, accurate, comeback wins, smart. I thought he was too reckless at times, but he had the ability to throw the team on his back for the win, which some of the others didn't.

I hate when the only good things anyone has to say about a QB are how tall they are, how much they weigh and how far they can throw a football. 

It's usually a bad sign for how that player's career will shake out. 

Edited by jrober38

5 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I'm pretty even keeled and don't get myself into Twitter squabbles with reporters or opposing fans but I've been acting out of character since I've gone all in on Josh Allen. I was among his biggest detractors leading up to the Draft but I've decided to trust the process and honestly it wasn't a hard sell. 

The kid is 6'5, 237, has wheels and is the owner of one of the best arms of all time. I've gotten to the point where I'm trashing 2019 QB prospects like Justin Herbert and Drew Lock. Complete bunker mentality and the National media is making it super easy because Allen seems to have crossed over from polarizing prospect to object of ridicule. The attacks seem personal and the all of the journos have gone from friendly banter to accusing Bills fans of being racists because we're not big on Tyrod Taylor. 

This is a pointless thread but I'm kinda loving this bunker mentality. I'm hoping we see Josh Allen sooner rather than later because I want to see our new toy in action. 

terrell-owens-cryingjpg.jpeg 

THAT'S MY QUARTERBACK!

If a journalist actually knew anything about football, they would work in an NFL front office and make more money rather than spend time coming up with click bait tactics to make a few more cents.  

Going into the offseason, Allen was the one QB I wanted no part of.  My top QB on the board had been Baker all season long and was on record here many times saying I thought he could be our guy, until he kept playing so well that he wound up going #1 overall.  Then as the offseason progressed, Allen really started to wow me and the shine also started falling off my previous likes such as Rosen.  

By the time the draft got here, Allen had moved way up my list behind Baker and I had my wish list as Baker, Allen, Darnold (And I had Darnold and Allen pretty closely ranked) and I had Rosen last of the top QB prospects.  Rosen for me just doesn't have the leadership and likability needed for him to likely be as good as some believe he will be.  For me, he is more likely the next Jeff George or Jay Cutler...talented guys that under performed to their potential due to attitude and likability issues.  

So I was excited to take Allen at 7, and even more thrilled we didn't have to trade next years first to move up to take a QB.  Its hysterical that the same dumb ass Journalist who felt Allen could go #1 overall, but also all knew he would go top 10, are now slamming the pick as if it was stupid.  They just write lazy stuff for the purpose of getting clicks.  

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's also fast.

You get my point.

It's usually better to hear about how a guy throws the ball, how productive he is, or how he's a winner.

The "he's big, strong, fast and has a rocket arm" usually means jack squat without some actual feel for the game. 

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You get my point.

It's usually better to hear about how a guy throws the ball, how productive he is, or how he's a winner.

The "he's big, strong, fast and has a rocket arm" usually means jack squat without some actual feel for the game. 

He throws it far and fast is that better? Also he is a winner I don't know what else you can say about taking a team with a streak of losing season (2-10 before he started) and having winning season every year he starts.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He throws it far and fast is that better? Also he is a winner I don't know what else you can say about taking a team with a streak of losing season (2-10 before he started) and having winning season every year he starts.

8-5 for a conference that would be worse than the MAC if it didn't have Boise. Super impressed.