Going to the mattresses: Josh Allen edition

I'm pretty even keeled and don't get myself into Twitter squabbles with reporters or opposing fans but I've been acting out of character since I've gone all in on Josh Allen. I was among his biggest detractors leading up to the Draft but I've decided to trust the process and honestly it wasn't a hard sell. 

The kid is 6'5, 237, has wheels and is the owner of one of the best arms of all time. I've gotten to the point where I'm trashing 2019 QB prospects like Justin Herbert and Drew Lock. Complete bunker mentality and the National media is making it super easy because Allen seems to have crossed over from polarizing prospect to object of ridicule. The attacks seem personal and the all of the journos have gone from friendly banter to accusing Bills fans of being racists because we're not big on Tyrod Taylor. 

This is a pointless thread but I'm kinda loving this bunker mentality. I'm hoping we see Josh Allen sooner rather than later because I want to see our new toy in action. 

terrell-owens-cryingjpg.jpeg 

THAT'S MY QUARTERBACK!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well only one of the four QBs selected is starting and thats Darnold.  So the fact that he isnt starting is no big deal.  Shouldnt Mayfield your number one overall pick have been able to beat TT who throws for 100 yards a game.

Allen did some things very well this preseason.  The third game was a joke due to our joke of an o line.

I think they are all just jealous cause hes so damn handsome!  Or so they tell me.

Edited by Skins Malone
  • Like (+1) 2

I am all for him. I came around too when I saw him go through reads when he had time and take plays where he could.

That said, as much as I want to see him right now I am cognizant of the fact that the next three games are going to be rough. We saw how the O-line looked in preseason and the Ravens, Chargers and Vikings look to be very, very tough pass defenses. I can wait until we play the Packers at home. That's three games *braces self*

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

I'm with you, brother.

I had about 24 hours of hating the pick. But then I thought to myself: "You know what? This is the first time EVER in my lifetime that the Bills have taken a QB in the top ten. Let's do this!"

That's exactly how I was. Hated it initially. But soon came to embrace it, mostly because of what he has done since, how he has acted, a deeper dive into his play and his past, and what he did in the three games. I'm all in now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

How bad does the roof have to cave in before they let him play? Learning from the bench is stupid. The only thing you learn is how to hold a clipboard and where the Gatorade is.

It would also be nice to know what you have in Allen before next season.  Especially if we do have a high pick.  If he doesnt play this season next year we re in the same boat wondering what we have.  So i hope he gets at least a few starts which i think he will.

I have seen several reports, including from local beat writers, that Josh was "benched" for Nate or "lost the job".  Ridiculous in my opinion. 

He started as the third string QB with little shot to start the season and made it a tough decision.  I too am all-in on him. 

He seems like a great kid who has a wonderful work ethic.  He has been rejected before...not getting any looks especially from Fresno State where he wanted to go; he was panned through the draft process--all he has done is ignore the critics and improve not just steadily but by leaps and bounds.  

The Cincy game was a test.  I almost believe it was on purpose (I know I am nuts).  If Daboll ever, ever put Vlad and Miller one on one with Gino Atkins or Marshall Newhouse or Jordan Mills one on one with Carlos Dunlap on a real game day-- he should be fired.  I think they wanted to show Josh what real bullets looked like.  He failed, but not miserably so--He didn't throw 5 INTs for example.

I wish Nate Peterman all the success in the world.  If he shows something, the Bills have another tremendous asset.  However, Josh has skills - mobility, arm, pocket savvy, speed that Nate will never have.   Let Josh watch as long as Nate is not losing us games with turnovers or poor production...but make no mistake, Josh Allen is the future of this franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

I was pissed draft night, then reluctantly supportive, to now can’t wait for him to start. If this season is a lost cause, let’s get his learning curve accelerated.  

Some of the throws he has already made in preseason were sick. No one since #12 should even try. 

Just gotta get it out faster until the line is improved 

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

I'm with you, brother.

I had about 24 hours of hating the pick. But then I thought to myself: "You know what? This is the first time EVER in my lifetime that the Bills have taken a QB in the top ten. Let's do this!"

I'm still hating the pick obviously.  Deep down inside, I think you probably still hate the pick, but maybe peer pressure and trying to make yourself feel better about this season is getting in the way of objectivity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AllenWillBust said:

I'm still hating the pick obviously.  Deep down inside, I think you probably still hate the pick, but maybe peer pressure and trying to make yourself feel better about this season is getting in the way of objectivity.

Yet another thing you're incorrect on. Tell me something, does it suck being constantly wrong?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

Yet another thing you're incorrect on. Tell me something, does it suck being constantly wrong?

How do you change your mind so quickly when no new information became available?  Seems like blind optimism was the culprit...  Allen could not even beat out Peterman!  That info right there says a lot...

It was a great pick...now having said that, he has to prove himself in the NFL and that will take time. Jim Kelly looked great when he came on board because he had a chance to get experience in the USFL. I hope we let sit and learn for a 5-6 games before we throw him in there.

Just now, AllenWillBust said:

How do you change your mind so quickly when no new information became available?  Seems like blind optimism was the culprit...  Allen could not even beat out Peterman!  That info right there says a lot...

I gave my reasoning earlier in the thread. Do your own homework, njsue.

2 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Name me a Bills QB the last 15 years who would have made this play:

Bledsoe - Sack

Fitz-INT

Losman - Fumble returned for a touchdown

EJ-Interception returned for a touchdown

Tyrod-Run around and then sacked

Trentative- Throwaway

These are the plays that distinguish a good QB from an average QB.  We finally have someone who can do this. 

I get that you wanted one of the three others and would have preferred any of them to what we got...and you are entitled to that.  Darnold was my guy and still is...but I am a lot happier with what we got today than I was on draft night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

Well only one of the four QBs selected is starting and thats Darnold.  So the fact that he isnt starting is no big deal.  Shouldnt Mayfield your number one overall pick have been able to beat TT who throws for 100 yards a game.

Allen did some things very well this preseason.  The third game was a joke due to our joke of an o line.

I think they are all just jealous cause hes so damn handsome!  Or so they tell me.

I think the plan in Cleveland was always to sit Mayfield. Mayfield would have had to complete blow TT out of the water to gain the starting job. Just simply being better wasn't going to be enough for Hue Jackson to turn to the rookie. 

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

Name me a Bills QB the last 15 years who would have made this play:

Bledsoe - Sack

Fitz-INT

Losman - Fumble returned for a touchdown

EJ-Interception returned for a touchdown

Tyrod-Run around and then sacked

Trentative- Throwaway

These are the plays that distinguish a good QB from an average QB.  We finally have someone who can do this. 

I get that you wanted one of the three others and would have preferred any of them to what we got...and you are entitled to that.  Darnold was my guy and still is...but I am a lot happier with what we got today than I was on draft night.

Yes, nice play, but consistency in the short game (see Tom Brady) is where it is at in the NFL.  Tyrod was supposed to be a QB that could "make things happen" where other QB's could not, how'd that work out?  

3 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Yes, nice play, but consistency in the short game (see Tom Brady) is where it is at in the NFL.  Tyrod was supposed to be a QB that could "make things happen" where other QB's could not, how'd that work out?  

None of us are going to convince you to get behind Josh.  I hope if Josh provides evidence through his play, that you will come around.  I know you will be cheering for him to do well.  You wouldn't be on this forum if you wanted him to fail.  ?