Tom Savage Potential?

Flip Johnson

People forget, but last year the Texans gave their starting nod to Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson coming out of preseason. Watson was the team's future, had higher upside, was more athletic, but needed seasoning.

Savage got sacked six times in the first half by Jacksonville, got benched, and the Watson era began in the second half of the first game.

Could this happen with Josh Allen this year? I'm not hoping for this scenario, but what happens if Peterman gets sacked four times and throws a pick or two in the first half and the Bills are down a couple scores? We don't know how close a call this was. There is a scenario where Allen plays this week or next.

I expect Daboll to come up with a game plan that works and for Peterman to play effectively. However, my concern with NP is whether or not he is a guy that can play with live bullets. I'm confident that he DID look better than TT in practice last year, hence the Chargers start. Then on the road with poor blocking things got out of hand. 

Edited by Flip Johnson

3 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

People forget, but last year the Texans gave their starting nod to Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson coming out of preseason. Watson was the team's future, had higher upside, was more athletic, but needed seasoning.

Savage got sacked six times in the first half by Jacksonville, got benched, and the Watson era began in the second half of the first game.

Could this happen with Josh Allen this year? I'm not hoping for this scenario, but what happens if Peterman gets sacked four times and throws a pick or two in the first half and the Bills are down a couple scores? We don't know how close a call this was. There is a scenario where Allen plays this week or next.

I expect Daboll to come up with a game plan that works and for Peterman to play effectively. However, my concern with NP is whether or not he is a guy that can play with live bullets. I'm confident that he DID look better than TT in practice last year, hence the Chargers start. Then on the road with poor blocking things got out of hand. 

I doubt they pull Peterman and put Allen in the game. Probably just let Peterman burn up in the atmosphere and give Josh a legit shot next week.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes it is.  He looked the same vs the Jaguars as he did vs the Chargers.  The Ravens have a very good defense and will be playing aggressive.  A pick 6 and some bad half of football could lead to Allen entering the game.  

It’s not likely to happen but it’s a distinct possibility. 

Peterman could be benched at halftime even if he threw zero interceptions. If the Ravens put 8-9 in the box, press the WRs, take Shady and run game completely out of the game, and Nate can’t ever make them pay for it, he could and should be benched. 

Again, I’m not betting this will happen. But I’d say either of those scenarios have maybe a 10% chance of happening. 

Of course that scenario could play out, along with many others.

If Peterman shows he is coughing up the ball (sacks for fumbles and INTs) too much but Allen can't go in b/c he is just too raw, it's too early, and they don't want to "ruin him" where does that leave the team? 

Between a rock and a hard place.  That's were the predictions saying we are the worst team in the league enter the fray.

It is entirely possible we do not have a serviceable QB on the roster.

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

Im wondering about it also. If the game is a runway blowout, I think you put him in there, for what is basically a live fire practice. Game speed reps seem important 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

So in other words we are already preparing for worst case scenario when it comes to our QB situation.

Gotta love Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Barring injury I see almost no scenario where peterman gets benched during game one. 

Maybe he can sit the 4th quarter out when we’re up 38-7 ???

I just don’t see them doing the QB shuffle all year unless there’s injuries. 

Nate is the starter, Allen is supposed to be learning. If Nate is not performing well maybe they throw Allen some more practice reps with the 1’s and try him out starting. I think Nate is gonna have to play super awful to get benched during the first half of the season 

6 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

No, because it seems McDermott has now taken this personal and is determined to prove Peterman is a good QB, this is what we get when the HC doesn't feel his job is threatened in any way, he makes reckless decisions.

Eh, I think Beane and McDermott didn't want to start JA from the beginning.

I would speculate they thought AJ would be the starter but...............NP did play better.

McDermott was true to his word and that's why NP is starting.

IMO

• Like (+1) 4