What I am taking from our roster cuts

Buffalo716

We have a bonafide backfield again and I expect us to pound the **** out of the rock...

Last year, Shady, Tolbert, Taiwan Jones , mid season cadet. Terrible for Buffalo standards 

This season,,,

Shady, ivory, Murphy 

and Murphy might push ivory for the #2 if he keeps playing like he does...

Last year was pretty bumming watching our usually prolific rushing attack suffer with Tolbert 

i think Shady, Ivory, Murphy are gonna slice , dice and plow their way through defenses this season .

1 more week!

• Like (+1) 2

I actually kinda hoping that Debol is going to use a passing game that opens things up for the run.......

if we keep trying to run at stacked boxes...its gonna continue to be 2 yards and a cloud of dust......

Our OL looks bad right now...but Im hoping that it is because of new faces in different places on the OL and they get better as the season goes on......

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually kinda hoping that Debol is going to use a passing game that opens things up for the run.......

if we keep trying to run at stacked boxes...its gonna continue to be 2 yards and a cloud of dust......

Our OL looks bad right now...but Im hoping that it is because of new faces in different places on the OL and they get better as the season goes on......

I think there is a difference between being a predictable run team vs a effective one 

for instance, like you said, throwing on first down more can open up lanes

pounding it up the gut on first and second is not the way to do it in the NFL anymore but that doesn’t mean you can’t Establish a very good run game and game plan 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We have a bonafide backfield again and I expect us to pound the **** out of the rock...

Last year, Shady, Tolbert, Taiwan Jones , mid season cadet. Terrible for Buffalo standards 

This season,,,

Shady, ivory, Murphy 

Last year was pretty bumming watching our usually prolific rushing attack suffer with Tolbert 

i think Shady, Ivory, Murphy are gonna slice , dice and plow their way through defenses this season .

1 more week!

I agree with you about the improvement in our backfield but who TF is gonna block for them?  They're gonna be doing a lot of plowing, seems to me.

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think there is a difference between being a predictable run team vs a effective one 

for instance, like you said, throwing on first down more can open up lanes

pounding it up the gut on first and second is not the way to do it in the NFL anymore but that doesn’t mean you can’t Establish a very good run game and game plan

It's true one can do a lot with misdirection, especially initially until there's a bunch of film out there.

It's true parts of the run game Daboll showed in TC (but not much in preseason games, def not the last 2) were intriguing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

This season,,,

Shady, ivory, Murphy 

1 more week!

Yeah but do we have the bulls up front??

Yes. The running game gets me excited.

I'd still like to see a balanced offense, though. I'm hoping Peterman can carve up defenses with a lot of dink and dunk (some strategic long shots). It'll look like Gailey's offense. Can Peterman protect the ball better than Fitz? It doesn't look like it.

The RBs are going to play a big role in this, too. We should see Murphy and Shady out wide a lot.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Yes. The running game gets me excited.

I'd still like to see a balanced offense, though. I'm hoping Peterman can carve up defenses with a lot of dink and dunk (some strategic long shots). It'll look like Gailey's offense. Can Peterman protect the ball better than Fitz? It doesn't look like it.

The RBs are going to play a big role in this, too. We should see Murphy and Shady out wide a lot.

The Bills finished 6th in rushing yards last season.  Their current O-line is good at run blocking, just not so good at pass protection.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with you about the improvement in our backfield but who TF is gonna block for them?  They're gonna be doing a lot of plowing, seems to me.

It's true one can do a lot with misdirection, especially initially until there's a bunch of film out there.

It's true parts of the run game Daboll showed in TC (but not much in preseason games, def not the last 2) were intriguing.

Early in pre season Shady couldn't do anything behind that line. 

since then he mainly has been sitting. The Backups got some yeardage against the 2's and 3's. 

This O-line is a disaster. Some think Mills at RT is serviceable. Everyone should watch closely when

Bosa comes to town. (or any decent DE) It will not be pretty. Maybe they will Mic him up again. Last year was pretty sad. 

56 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

The Bills finished 6th in rushing yards last season.  Their current O-line is good at run blocking, just not so good at pass protection.

For sure. We saw some big holes opened up in preseason at times. I think they'll be fine with some real game-planning.

I would expect to see a lot of pre-snap motion, play action, TEs, and RBs chipping, and anything else to slow the DL.  

Offense looked pretty creative in the first preseason game, then back to vanilla.  

I would guess Dabol will be creative in his approach this season.  My concern, other than the current state of the offensive line, is that Peterman and Allen have completely different skill sets and would require a diferent offensive game plan.  But, then again, Dabol did it in Alabama championship game, so there is that.

Interestingly, this whole season might come down to how effective Dabol can be with this offense.   

If that is the plan, continuing to focus on the run, then I don't see why we didn't keep Taylor or invested heavily in a real quarterback. If that's the plan, I guess I better wear spats to the games and ditch the car for a horse drawn carriage. I don't see the running back situation as a portent of things to come. All they did was try to upgrade the depth, something they tried to do at every position. They were more successful there than at some others but not because they spent anymore capital. If you are looking for a portent of the offense to come, I'd focus more on the question of Foster vs. Streater. Foster is the better deep threat and Streater was the better possession guy. We have plenty of possession guys as it is so they kept the tallest deep threat receiver that was on the roster. They drafted a QB who can launch missiles, took a flier on a speedster in Coleman and kept Foster. Ray Ray is super quick and also can help open up an offense. One critical area they shorted themselves on was the OL. Hmmm....doesn't sound to me like they are recommitting to Flintstone ball. They want to go downfield. We have Shady and we have young QB's so we will still run quite a bit but no more of the "pound the rock and punt" stuff. 

Edited by Mickey
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I don't think last year is relevant to this year.  Last year we had Wood and Cog on the OL.  This year we may have a better run scheme.

I don't know whether or not our current O-line is good at run blocking.  That's TBD in a regular season game.  If you can shove the guards or center back into the QB or flatten the tackles, that doesn't usually auger well for run blocking either.

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This season,,,

Shady, ivory, Murphy 

1 more week!

Yes LOVELY 1960s football

I am hoping that the "experiment" that we saw in the pre-season was truly that...an experiment. I know that we do not have the most talented O-line but it will be a long season if they can't pass protect...

I agree, but we have to factor in TTs rushing yards and defenses taking in his ability to do this.  AJ did a decent job against scrubs. Allen has shown he can be mobile in the pocket and aware enough to take yards when needed. Peterman has not done as well as a runner, but he gets the ball out quicker. 

For some reason the O-line moves forward better... In the run game, they get leverage and can move people out of the way to create running lanes. It's the back step of pass protection that throws them all off balance. I don't know if it is scheme or coaching but these guys can not handle a stunt, a blitz or a straight up bull rush in the pass game. They get turned around or moved into a weaker position where they have no leverage to handle their opponent.

Now if indeed, we have not seen the true offense yet, then I am happy. I would expect to see a lot more 2 TE sets with Croom and Thomas rotating in like a 3rd WR but able to chip in on blocking and get separation for short routes using their height to their advantage, creating mismatches while Clay runs the middle of the field or Lee stays in to help block and be a dump off giving us a shot at a deep ball.

Both Peterman and Allen have shown that they can consistently work these throws to the middle. Allen is particularly good in tight windows getting the ball to a receiver fast, where Peterman is quicker with the release. 

This type of offense if used properly should move the chains. Red Zone work will be paramount here or there will be a lot of FG's and we will be playing a field position game hoping our defense doesn't give up big plays. This kind of offensive scheme could help defenses back off a little and open up the run game.

The key to this (believe it or not) may be Logan Thomas. As we heard, he is very adapt at recognizing defenses and making adjustments on the fly. As much as we loved O'Leary, he is not that guy.  With Thomas helping TE's understanding who to pick up, the extra .5-1 sec can make a huge difference in the pass game, especially if that TE is blocking then releasing into a route as a 2nd or 3rd option.

When the QB's really grasp making 2-3 reads quickly and getting the ball out accurately, this offense can do damage. I think this season, it is all on the TE's to make or break the scheme by helping the O-line and making contested catches. We've already seen Lee become more of a weapon. When all 4 TE's can do this consistently and block,  the mismatches will open up the field for everyone else.

I think we will see Logan on the field more and his influence rub off on Croom and Lee. Hopefully Clay stays healthy and becomes a big contributor.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think we'll see a lot of two TE formations with both TE's staying in to block, just to keep Peterman and Allen and whatever QB (Moore) they sign today out of concussion protocol because the line is abysmal in pass protection.

I hope it doesn't take long for Teller to take over one of the starting Guard spots or that they can sign an upgrade free agent.

• Like (+1) 1

Look for a lot of 22 and 21 personnel this season, gents. And that’s a good thing. This is the best group of RBs and TEs the Bills have had in a while, and it lessens the impact of a below average WR group. 

• Like (+1) 2

Shady is pretty much this entire team. He is the one legitimate blue chip superstar skill position player we have had in the post super bowl era. I’m not sure how anyone can watch this team every week and not just be amazed at this guy. Until he is gone, everything we do on offense is going to be run through him. Nothing about this preseason should even matter to anyone. Now we have a few guys behind him that can play a little bit too. I hope we fix the oline over the next few days and just overwhelm people with our RBs. Hand it to them, pitch it to them, throw screens to them...We have very little talent on offense. We have a guy that is a hall of fame level player in the backend of his prime...This should be like the OJ teams IMO. I don’t care about the optics and how unorthodox it is in this era, just win.

• Like (+1) 1